Tacoma, WA: Homeowner shoots burglar in face with shotgun.

Reports of actual crimes and investigations, not hypothetical situations.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Tacoma, WA: Homeowner shoots burglar in face with shotgun.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

http://gunssavelives.net/self-defense/v ... -the-face/

The burglar was in the hospital with life-threatening injuries to his face.

You know that's going to leave a mark.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Tacoma, WA: Homeowner shoots burglar in face with shotgu

Post by philip964 »

We occasionally talk about .380 vs 9mm vs .45, but I think we will all agree a shotgun blast to the face probably takes the fight out of someone.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I don't care who you are, that's gotta' hurt.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Well, if people are tired of the .380 vs 9mm vs .45 arguing, we can always resurrect the birdshot versus buckshot argument. :evil2:

The burglar ran half a block before collapsing. Want to bet the shotgun was loaded with birdshot? If he had been using buckshot or slugs, I don't believe Clint Eastwood's line about "blow your head clean off" is literally true, but I also doubt the guy would run half a block.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

TxSheepdog

Post by TxSheepdog »

Not quite the mind blowing experience we were hoping for...
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."- Thomas Paine

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." - Friedrich Nietzsche

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:Well, if people are tired of the .380 vs 9mm vs .45 arguing, we can always resurrect the birdshot versus buckshot argument. :evil2:

The burglar ran half a block before collapsing. Want to bet the shotgun was loaded with birdshot? If he had been using buckshot or slugs, I don't believe Clint Eastwood's line about "blow your head clean off" is literally true, but I also doubt the guy would run half a block.
WARNING!!! Don't look if you don't have the stomach for it, but this is a facial shotgun wound: http://www.daviddsemsheadquarters.com/f ... licted.JPG
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

teraph

Post by teraph »

WARNING!!! Don't look if you don't have the stomach for it, but this is a facial shotgun wound: http://www.daviddsemsheadquarters.com/f ... licted.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:eek6 that kinda looks like what happens when somebody bites down on a blasting cap.......
This We'll Defend

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:. . . I don't believe Clint Eastwood's line about "blow your head clean off" is literally true,
WARNING!!! Don't look if you don't have the stomach for it, but this is a facial shotgun wound: http://www.daviddsemsheadquarters.com/f ... licted.JPG
Guess Dirty Harry was wrong . . . "rlol"
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:Well, if people are tired of the .380 vs 9mm vs .45 arguing, we can always resurrect the birdshot versus buckshot argument. :evil2:

Got to taste my coffee twice this morning now...

Looks like an alien face. The kind where they pretend to be humans but then when they've got you alone peel their head back and eat your face.

But seriously, in the picture that guy is still alive?

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

That photo looks kind of like "Zoidberg", the lobster character on the cartoon series "Futurama."

Does anyone find it odd that they would black out the poor unfortunate's eyes, as if we would recognize him?

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Just a note, this was a shotgun at point-blank (or less) range as it was 'self-inflicted'. Anything from a distance of 8-10 feet oe more will be predominately pellets and powder burns. I have a friend who was shot with a 12ga shotgun containing birdshot from about 25 feet during an abduction attempt. Her face just looked like she had a severe case of acne or measles.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Wow. Never seen a shotgun->face wound, but I've seen plenty of 5.56->body, a few to .50->body, and fewer 9mm->body.... this was the worst I have seen yet.
No More Signature

mamabearCali

Post by mamabearCali »

suicide by shotgun....one of those things you had better get right the first time.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Just a note, this was a shotgun at point-blank (or less) range as it was 'self-inflicted'. Anything from a distance of 8-10 feet oe more will be predominately pellets and powder burns. I have a friend who was shot with a 12ga shotgun containing birdshot from about 25 feet during an abduction attempt. Her face just looked like she had a severe case of acne or measles.

It didn't blind her? Was that because she didn't take any pellets to the eyes or because they didn't penetrate and cause damage?
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The three most dramatic shotgun wounds I ever saw were not to the face.

1. 20 gauge at nearly contact distance to the lower leg, nearly completely severing the foot just above the ankle.

2. 12 gauge from probably just a very few feet away to the calf muscle, removing a very large portion of it.

3. 12 gauge at muzzle contact distance to base of back of neck (this was an execution) at a downward angle. Victim was kneeling when shot from behind by executioner, and was brought in still alive and breathing with great difficulty. He was 19 years old, and he took a little bit of time to die....crying "they've killed me, killed me!" and begging us the whole time not to let him die. It was pretty bad. We cracked his chest as he was arresting, and the internal damage was just unbelievable. The initial muzzle blast and downward angle of the charge had vaporized part of C6, all of C7, and most of T1. The wound channel continued down through his left chest, destroying all of his left lung, peppering his heart, and with some pellets passing through his diaphragm into his abdomen. We found the shot cup/wad (whatever you want to call it) up against the upper surface of the diaphragm. The entrance wound was slightly larger than a 12 gauge muzzle diameter. I think that might have been due to burning and stretching.

That was by far one of the most emotionally difficult cases for me to have been involved in. The kid was executed by a drug dealer, presumably for a deal gone bad. He was no angel, but you just can't help feeling bad watching a young man die like that.

A shotgun can be a terrifying weapon in the right circumstances.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “The Crime Blotter”