17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Re: 17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Post by sjfcontrol »

I don't believe the original site is still up. How would one donate today?
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 128

Post by ScooterSissy »

sjfcontrol wrote:I don't believe the original site is still up. How would one donate today?
Lots of things I found of interest in trying to find the new site for you.

First of all, I could get lots of hits on his old site, but few media outlets published the new site - http://www.gzdefensefund.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I finally found it by searching "Mark O'Mara blog", O'Mara is his defense attorney)
Almost as interestingly - when I tried to click on the "donate" tab, I got the following:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at http://www.gzdefensefund.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Port 80
Then there's the news reports that came out (that I admittedly didn't pay much attention to). The accusations from the judge about Zimmerman's deception seem to pertain to the money being available, not what he was using it for. As a matter of fact, most the news article that report amounts (at least, those that I could find) report that he had raised approximately $200,000 (as of early June), and that $20,000 had been used for living expenses and the rest was still in the account.

The final thing I found of interest was that the (according to his attorney, who is running the current site), donations spiked after his arrest. Sounds like a lot of people don't like what they see going on.

Personally, I don't like it either (for a variety of reasons), but still don't see enough there to pull my money from my pocket. I suspect that if they start trying to use his wife's arrest as a "bargaining chip" (which I believe was the prime reason they arrested her), my wallet's going to open up as well.

Of course, that's assuming O'Mara gets Zimmermans technical issues resolved. Maybe I can offer some "services in kind"...

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

Yeah, I get the same message trying to go there.

The vitriol and outright hatred expressed by some on this site (and elsewhere), combined with the videos released today which absolutely support everything those defending Zimmerman have been saying all along, has convinced me that the Zimmermans could use all the help they can get. And as far as I'm concerned, if there is any donated money left over after all this is over, they should use it to take a long, luxurious cruise, and more power to them. I won't be giving a lot, but I can pass a few dollars their way -- if I can ever get on the site.

By the way, ABC reported this morning that the problems for Zimmerman with the released videos, is that they might be "too good". That he "hits all the correct buttons" (or something to that effect) to prove self-defense, even without stand-your-ground. And that might be a problem for him getting people (judge, jury?) to believe him. So I guess he was too practiced the day after it happened. :roll:
Never Forget. Image

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

sjfcontrol wrote:Yeah, I get the same message trying to go there.

The vitriol and outright hatred expressed by some on this site (and elsewhere), combined with the videos released today which absolutely support everything those defending Zimmerman have been saying all along, has convinced me that the Zimmermans could use all the help they can get. And as far as I'm concerned, if there is any donated money left over after all this is over, they should use it to take a long, luxurious cruise, and more power to them. I won't be giving a lot, but I can pass a few dollars their way -- if I can ever get on the site.

By the way, ABC reported this morning that the problems for Zimmerman with the released videos, is that they might be "too good". That he "hits all the correct buttons" (or something to that effect) to prove self-defense, even without stand-your-ground. And that might be a problem for him getting people (judge, jury?) to believe him. So I guess he was too practiced the day after it happened. :roll:
I'm getting close to doing the same myself (donating), but just not quite there yet. With some local elections still in run-offs, and one of my daughters (adult) needing help with the dentist, our discretionary donation funds have been tapped, but the more I read the closer I come to making some sacrifices.

I think the bandwidth issue has to do with them posting the video of Zimmerman's re-enactment. They noted on the site that the video itself has been relocated, and I was able to get on the site (briefly) right after that, but it's reporting bandwidth issues again. Maybe it will level out in the next few days.

I was able to glean this from the website (again, it's from Zimmerman's attorney, so some grains of salt are appropriate):
It must be noted that, when attempting to interpret George's actions regarding the funds, that he did disclose the existence of the funds five days after the bond hearing, during his first conversation with the defense about the fund. When the defense team learned of the funds, we disclosed this to the court and to the State Attorney's Office, and the money was transferred to the Legal Defense Fund which is now independently managed.

Of the original $204,000 raised by Mr. Zimmerman's fund, approximately $150,000 was transferred to the Legal Defense Fund. $30,000 was used to make the complicated transition from private life in Sanford, FL to a life in hiding as a defendant in a high-profile court case. The balance of approximately $20,000 was kept liquid to provide living expenses for the first several months as the legal process unfolds.

Since the independently managed Legal Defense Fund was established on May 3, supporters have contributed more than $37,000. Of this amount, $2,000 has been designated for household expenses. Less than $300 has been designated for fund management and fees associated with maintaining the conditions of the bond. None of the funds have yet to be allocated to legal expenses. Neither Mr. Zimmerman or the defense team has direct access to the independently managed Legal Defense Fund.
I'd really like to find out who is the "independent manager" of the fund.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

ScooterSissy wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:I don't believe the original site is still up. How would one donate today?
Lots of things I found of interest in trying to find the new site for you.

First of all, I could get lots of hits on his old site, but few media outlets published the new site - http://www.gzdefensefund.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I finally found it by searching "Mark O'Mara blog", O'Mara is his defense attorney)
Almost as interestingly - when I tried to click on the "donate" tab, I got the following:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache Server at http://www.gzdefensefund.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Port 80
Then there's the news reports that came out (that I admittedly didn't pay much attention to). The accusations from the judge about Zimmerman's deception seem to pertain to the money being available, not what he was using it for. As a matter of fact, most the news article that report amounts (at least, those that I could find) report that he had raised approximately $200,000 (as of early June), and that $20,000 had been used for living expenses and the rest was still in the account.

The final thing I found of interest was that the (according to his attorney, who is running the current site), donations spiked after his arrest. Sounds like a lot of people don't like what they see going on.

Personally, I don't like it either (for a variety of reasons), but still don't see enough there to pull my money from my pocket. I suspect that if they start trying to use his wife's arrest as a "bargaining chip" (which I believe was the prime reason they arrested her), my wallet's going to open up as well.

Of course, that's assuming O'Mara gets Zimmermans technical issues resolved. Maybe I can offer some "services in kind"...
I can hear it now: "Mr. Zimmerman, YOU can make all this stop TODAY...we'll drop everything against your wife, and your family won't have to be put through any of this, and you can put this all behind you...all you have to do is just SIGN HERE and accept this and this will all be at an end...just SIGN right here..."

Meanwhile, back on the ranch, actual MURDERERS, RAPISTS, THIEVES, and CHILD MOLESTERS continue to roam the streets of Florida doing their nefarious deeds and getting about a millionth of the attention or efforts to stop them that have been put into turning George Zimmerman into a monster worse than Al Capone... :grumble

And the mainstream media is beside themselves with glee about it... :mad5

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 187

Post by baldeagle »

ScooterSissy wrote:I'd really like to find out who is the "independent manager" of the fund.
This link is to an explanation of the fund and all monies already distributed.
http://gzlegalcase.com/index.php/press- ... fense-fund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This link explains the qualifications of the independent administrator but does not name him or her.
http://gzlegalcase.com/index.php/press- ... fense-fund" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

ScooterSissy

Post by ScooterSissy »

baldeagle wrote:
ScooterSissy wrote:I'd really like to find out who is the "independent manager" of the fund.
This link is to an explanation of the fund and all monies already distributed.

This link explains the qualifications of the independent administrator but does not name him or her.
Thanks, I wasn't able to get to the page earlier (that pesky bandwidth message), but am now.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 104

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Police videos, Zimmerman talking to police both on the scene the next day, and in the police station:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerm ... -OT_StYumB

Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee fired in wake of Trayvon Martin case
http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/20/2 ... rylink=cpy
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Keith B
Posts in topic: 64

Post by Keith B »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Police videos, Zimmerman talking to police both on the scene the next day, and in the police station:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerm ... -OT_StYumB
Yep, posted this earlier this morning viewtopic.php?f=83&t=53427&start=1395#p684934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

News anchor this morning said the story may be TOO good, but also said if happened the way Zimmerman was saying that Stand Your Ground had nothing to do with it and it was just a case of justifiable self defense.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

philip964
Posts in topic: 215

Post by philip964 »

In light of what has happened, in hindsight, Zimmerman's correct actions should have been to have what sometimes has been suggested here, reconceal your weapon, say nothing, except that you will fully cooperate after you have an attorney present. In addition, he also should have demanded to be taken to the hospital to treat his injuries and also demanded blood be taken and tested.

It seems that by not being arrested and cooperating to avoid arrest, everything he has done now seems to many as suspect. Not being arrested has created most of the problems with his case. Had he been arrested, all the negative publicity would not have occurred and we wouldn't know about it.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

philip964 wrote:In light of what has happened, in hindsight, Zimmerman's correct actions should have been to have what sometimes has been suggested here, reconceal your weapon, say nothing, except that you will fully cooperate after you have an attorney present. In addition, he also should have demanded to be taken to the hospital to treat his injuries and also demanded blood be taken and tested.

It seems that by not being arrested and cooperating to avoid arrest, everything he has done now seems to many as suspect. Not being arrested has created most of the problems with his case. Had he been arrested, all the negative publicity would not have occurred and we wouldn't know about it.
That is one approach, however it most likely would have resulted in his immediate arrest. As it was, because he was so cooperative, he avoided immediate arrest. That only backfired once the race card was played by the race baiters. If the situation hadden't attracted the attention of Sharpton and subsequently the national media, he'd have been home free. That's the trade off you make.
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 104

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Keith B wrote:....if happened the way Zimmerman was saying that Stand Your Ground had nothing to do with it and it was just a case of justifiable self defense.
Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post. Agree with the above. I want to say too, on Z's behalf, that watching the two videos the first thing that jumped out at me was that he was not the least evasive. He appeared to be cooperating in good conscience with the police. Whether or not that was a good strategy for him to follow, it does seem to support the notion that he believed that he had nothing to hide, and nothing to fear from the PD by speaking frankly about what happened. It makes him more believable. Maybe not more correct in justifiable use of deadly force, but not a liar either. He obviously believes that he did the right thing when he fired, and he's trying to do the right thing with the police.

My guess is that it was exactly this cooperation that kept him out of jail initially.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tbrown
Posts in topic: 14

Post by tbrown »

His story also matches the evidence that didn't become public until much later. It's like he's telling the truth or something.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

WildBill
Posts in topic: 92

Post by WildBill »

tbrown wrote:His story also matches the evidence that didn't become public until much later. It's like he's telling the truth or something.
Maybe that's why some people say his story is "too good". :cool:
NRA Endowment Member

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 187

Post by baldeagle »

WildBill wrote:
tbrown wrote:His story also matches the evidence that didn't become public until much later. It's like he's telling the truth or something.
Maybe that's why some people say his story is "too good". :cool:
No. They say it's "too good" because it messes with their preferred narrative....
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “Off-Topic”