CHL-100 Instructor Signature Options

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jamcgowan
Posts in topic: 4

CHL-100 Instructor Signature Options

Post by jamcgowan »

I apologize if this has been addressed before... I wasn't able to find it in the search. :cryin

I am running some very large classes. This requires a lot of time just to sign everyone's CHL-100. Does anyone know if the DPS will allow us to have a signature stamp made up for this purpose? It would really help. My signature is horrible and the more I write it, the worse it gets. After about 25 times, it's all but chicken scratch. :shock:

TIA :txflag:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Re: CHL-100 Instructor Signature Options

Post by Crossfire »

jamcgowan wrote:I apologize if this has been addressed before... I wasn't able to find it in the search. :cryin

I am running some very large classes. This requires a lot of time just to sign everyone's CHL-100. Does anyone know if the DPS will allow us to have a signature stamp made up for this purpose? It would really help. My signature is horrible and the more I write it, the worse it gets. After about 25 times, it's all but chicken scratch. :shock:

I would like to know the answer to this too. I am aware that some instructors are using a signature file on the CHL-100, but I don't know if it is really allowed. I will send a PM to someone I know is in instructor school this week, and see if we can get an answer.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

Crossfire wrote:
jamcgowan wrote:I apologize if this has been addressed before... I wasn't able to find it in the search. :cryin

I would like to know the answer to this too. I am aware that some instructors are using a signature file on the CHL-100, but I don't know if it is really allowed. I will send a PM to someone I know is in instructor school this week, and see if we can get an answer.
I asked about using an electronic signature that printed with the forms, and was told it was OK.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

FWIW -- In *my* instructor's class (2 years ago) they were asked, and said "NO". Had to be an "original" signature.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Topic author
jamcgowan
Posts in topic: 4

Post by jamcgowan »

I'm a little concerned about using an electronic signature on this form since some of my students take the proficiency portion with other instructors. I'd like to be able to use a signature stamp and stamp the form as I go.

I sent an email to the DPS today asking about this...I'll let everyone know what they tell me.

:txflag:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA RSO, NRA Life Member, TSRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I don't have any direct information from DPS, but I suspect electronic signatures are okay. Much has changed over the years and electronic signatures are accepted by virtually every court in Texas including federal courts. DPS now allows instructors to upload their CHL-8's and renewal students can upload all of their documents including the CHL-100. Legally, anyone who intentionally affixes any type of "signature" to a document has signed it.

Chas.

GWE Chally

Post by GWE Chally »

Hi,
I am new here, but I just finished the CHL Instructors course today, along with Keith B.

If I remember correctly, they stated that rubber stamps were NOT ok, but I don't think they specified electronic signatures.

Maybe Keith can clarify.

- Scott
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

GWE Chally wrote:Hi,
I am new here, but I just finished the CHL Instructors course today, along with Keith B.

If I remember correctly, they stated that rubber stamps were NOT ok, but I don't think they specified electronic signatures.

Maybe Keith can clarify.

- Scott
Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the Instructor's club!

Hard to believe there is a conceptual difference between a stamp and an electronic image signature -- but then DPS has done stranger things... :mrgreen:
Never Forget. Image

GWE Chally

Post by GWE Chally »

sjfcontrol wrote:
Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the Instructor's club!
Thanks!
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Keith B »

I was informed stamps are not OK, but a digital signature is. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:I was informed stamps are not OK, but a digital signature is. :thumbs2:
Thanks for clearing that up Keith! :thumbs2:

I hope that you enjoyed the class and that you learned something.
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The class was very well ran, extremely informative, and right on target for laws and possible pitfalls of individual interpretation. I really enjoyed the time there and did learn a bunch. My hat's off to them! :tiphat:

Now, to just get a range like theirs built. :thumbs2: :lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

OK all you techno savvy folks out there how do I go about creating a digital signature for my CHL 100s? This sounds like the solution to writer's cramp at the end of a class.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

I would assume by "digital signature", keith means a digital IMAGE of your signature, inserted into the PDF of the document.
An actual Digital Signature is a cryptographic construct.
Never Forget. Image

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

sjfcontrol wrote:I would assume by "digital signature", keith means a digital IMAGE of your signature, inserted into the PDF of the document.
An actual Digital Signature is a cryptographic construct.
Yes, it is a digital image of your scanned signature.

However, I would go a little farther with it and create an actual digital signature (Digital ID) for the soft copy you keep on your computer and backup files. This will create an individual digital ID record for each one you insert your image into. And while today we aren't able to electronically send soft versions of the completed CHL-100's to DPS, we may be able to in the near future and that would validate each file. It will also allow you to be able to validate the file as digitally signed if DPS ever audits your records. It is not that hard to do. http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/digit ... df-acrobat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keith

Return to “Instructors' Corner”