Winchester 94

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Ropin
Posts in topic: 2

Winchester 94

Post by Ropin »

I've been half looking for a lever action for awhile now, and had reached the conclusion I was likely to wind up with one of the cheaper looking current production models to satisfy my craving and budget.

But today I ran across a beautiful Winchester, and she followed me home. The serial number dates her to 1974, but she's in such good shape, I would have guessed her to be a 90's model. I suspect tomorrow will find me at the range, celebrating.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

Middle Age Russ
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Winchester 94

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Congratulations. What caliber/cartidge is it in?

I recently got a Marlin Century Limited model 39 to satisfy my craving for a lever action (haven't shot it as much as I'd like yet, though). My wife has a Marlin 1894 in .357 as well, and we really enjoy it, too.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Something about lever actions just appeal to me, too. Congrats!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
Ropin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ropin »

It's a 30-30.
Class 08/08
Packet Sent 08/10
Processing app 08/31
Complete 10/21

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Last year I was able to pick up a model '94 whose serial# indicates a 1971 vintage for $250. It's in great shape, no rust, the action seems a little loose but I'm not that familiar with lever actions so maybe it's normal.

My grandpa always used to talk about the winchester .30-30 but I don't think he ever owned one. Maybe they were out of reach for an old trapper/fisherman from south Louisiana. He did have a pristine lever rifle that I remember seeing hanging in his gun rack that I thought was a .30-30 but after his passing my uncle inherited it an it turned out to be a Henry .22 LR.

I bought the gun purely because it reminds me of him. I wish he were alive so I could give it to him. I wished I would have paid closer attention to his guns and realized he wasn't talking about the gun hanging in his gun rack.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

I have a post-60 Model 94 also. It's a great little gun and fun to shoot. The action, when the action is open, is very loose, but it locks up tight.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

Nice rifles. It's what I used to take my first white tail in NE Georgia many years back. Don't take it to the range much. Probably need to give it some range love.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”