Oh my God - A picture of guns

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Oh my God - A picture of guns

Post by JJVP »

Australian Olympic swimmers criticized for Facebook gun photo

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics- ... 00136.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Oh my God - A picture of guns

Post by sjfcontrol »

Ok, a number of thoughts....

1) WHERE did they find a gun store in California? :mrgreen:
2) Ausies can't count -- they are holding FOUR guns, not three (Perhaps they aren't counting the revolver as 'high power'?)
3) Ausies speak weird -- "The lawyer of the man he punched was surprisingly surprised at D'Arcy's current brush with infamy." Surprisingly Surprised?? Learn that in Journalism Class?
4) Looks like they need some training in muzzle and trigger control.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

High-powered.!!! That cracks me up.

What a namby-pamby article. Sounds like Mike Bloomberg wrote it himself.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

If you read the comments section below that story, a LOT of people are slamming the "journalist" who wrote the piece...I guess he already has some notorious notoriety for poorly written, biased articles. And the comments are running FAR in favor of firearms.

:patriot:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

OMG holding guns in a gun shop, what next? Holding beers at a bar?
"rlol"
Never Forget. Image

Moby Duck

Post by Moby Duck »

Heartland Patriot wrote:notorious notoriety for poorly written, biased articles
"rlol"
Yea, foolish mortals, Noah's flood is not yet subsided; two thirds of the fair world it yet covers.

canvasbck

Post by canvasbck »

Are they going to allow Michael Diamond and Russel Mark to travel to London this year? The both hold gold medals in shooting sports (trap) and are on the Australian SHOOTING team for the London olympics.

I hope they don't allow them to room with any of the swimmers, because OMG, the swimmers might touch a high powered shotgun!

To quote the great Sheila Jackson Lee:
You know the absurd becomes more absurd the more you hear it and that's absolutely absurd.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

canvasbck wrote:Are they going to allow Michael Diamond and Russel Mark to travel to London this year? The both hold gold medals in shooting sports (trap) and are on the Australian SHOOTING team for the London olympics.

I hope they don't allow them to room with any of the swimmers, because OMG, the swimmers might touch a high powered shotgun!

To quote the great Sheila Jackson Lee:
You know the absurd becomes more absurd the more you hear it and that's absolutely absurd.
Did she also say "The future ain't what it used to be."?
or
" You can observe a lot by watching."?

(i.e. it sounds like a Yogiism) :smilelol5:
Never Forget. Image

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Read this article this morning. From the comments on Yahoo it seems that the only people that think this is controversial are the journalist and the Aussie politcians.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

RoyGBiv wrote:High-powered.!!! That cracks me up.

Almost any article written these days, even in Texas, describes any Glock (or pretty much any other carry gun) as "High Caliber." I still don't know what that means—beyond it being clear cut evidence of a drama queen reporter overly enamored with the sound and utterance of their own deluded vocabulary. Evidently, the writers have never heard of a .600 Nitro Express, or a .375 H&H Magnum, compared to which a 9mm or .45 ACP are pretty small potatoes.

Does anybody have a clear definition (outside of the gun-grabbing media) of what "High Caliber" means? If so, please enlighten me.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Almost any article written these days, even in Texas, describes any Glock (or pretty much any other carry gun) as "High Caliber." I still don't know what that means—beyond it being clear cut evidence of a drama queen reporter overly enamored with the sound and utterance of their own deluded vocabulary. Evidently, the writers have never heard of a .600 Nitro Express, or a .375 H&H Magnum, compared to which a 9mm or .45 ACP are pretty small potatoes.

Does anybody have a clear definition (outside of the gun-grabbing media) of what "High Caliber" means? If so, please enlighten me.
TAM -- you DO realize the phrase was "high powered", not "high caliber", right?
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sjfcontrol wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

TAM -- you DO realize the phrase was "high powered", not "high caliber", right?
Let me be clear, I was not talking about the article in the OP. I was talking specifically about the loosely used term "High Caliber" which, if you google it, appears in hundreds of articles involving guns in popular news media without explanation other than we're supposed to know that it means something amorphously dangerous.

That said, 'high powered' is equally misused. Reporters will call an AR15 a "high-powered assault rifle." Those of us in the gun-world will typically attack the use of the term "assault rifle" because it is factually an incorrect term. BUT, we'll let the term 'high-powered' with regard to the .223/5.56 cartridge slip right on by. But as anyone knows who has fired a variety of rifles, 'high-powered' is a very relative term, and the .223/5.56 cartridge is at the lower end—indeed, near the bottom—of the rifle cartridge power spectrum. A reporter who calles an AR15 a 'high-powered' rifle, is a reporter who has never even seen a rifle cartridge in .270 or .308, let alone .30-'06, which is where the descriptive "high-power" actually begins to be true.

It is nothing more than the dramatization of the mundane in order to gin up outrage. It isn't enough to shock. A reporter needs to manufacture outrage, because that outrage turns what would be a one time article into an 'investigative series', which in turn sells more papers or page hits, etc., etc.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I'm going to the High Caliber Gun Show in a few weeks, I'll ask the staff there.
:leaving

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

No comment.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

High-Caliber, High-Power, Hi-Caliber and Hi-Power are so mis-used in reporting that I wonder if anyone has a handle on what these terms do, or should, mean. Fairly typical usage by reporters seems to be that anything other than a .22 (and I know that .22 is a caliber, not cartridge, designation) -- presumably rimfire -- is considered one or any of these.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

Return to “Off-Topic”