The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Chief
Posts in topic: 4

New Guy Getting Started

Post by Chief »

Hi Folks...

I stumbled across this forum earlier this year when I was getting my CHL - I've thoroughly enjoyed it and found it a useful reference many times. I've been experimenting with my EDC for a few months using a Glock 26 and a S&W J-Frame - pocket carry, IWB at 2:00 or 4:00 and still can't find the 'right spot'. The S&W is usually pretty good in a pocket holster but the Glock just seems too thick with everything I try. I'm actually very interested in the new S&W Shield and probably in 40 cal. I know everyone's different, but my experience over the past few months tells me that the thinness is the most important measurement for my comfort. Am I on the right track?

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Guy Getting Started

Post by RPB »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=54649&p=667698#p667698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I carry a Glock 26 usually ... with a 15 round Glock 19 mag with a +3 extension (so it's 18+1=19)
and a spare Glock 17 mag with a +3 extension (so it's a spare 20 rounds)
I carry at 3:00

I bought a bunch of "thin" 9mms, PT709 slim, PF9 etc when I heard "Thin is in" ... I leave them at home to wear on elastic pajama bottoms, they are more comfortable for sleeping...

I wear 2xlt/2xgL (Tall/Long) Tee shirts covered by another shirt.
2 layers of shirt that way and any wrinkle/fold/bump in the top shirt is probable a fold/wrinkle bump in the bottom shirt.
I'm confident I could conceal a full grown Bobcat under my shirts, and no one would notice, until I started dripping red stuff ...

Now if you want to pocket carry ...check out any of the pants on Duluth Trading Co which state 12" deep pockets (not all do) http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens ... tAod_zx-EA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Also a great place to get LONGER Tee Shirts)
Last edited by RPB on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

Chief wrote:I know everyone's different, but my experience over the past few months tells me that the thinness is the most important measurement for my comfort. Am I on the right track?
Welcome to the forum!

Well, as you say, everyone's different. I carry a Sig P226 comfortably in an IWB holster, and a good friend of mine does the same with a Glock 26. All else being equal, a thinner gun should be easier & more comfortable to conceal (and Glocks are not known for being thin... Kinda the opposite, actually). Some people just can't get IWB to work for them, though. Have you looked at any OWB holsters?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
Chief

Post by Chief »

Thanks for the link and the clothing advice - that's similar to how I feel. I've bought a few shirts to help covering up, but that's much less of a problem than just the feeling that it's too heavy and thick causing my jeans to feel 'twisted'. Funny thing is I also have a belly band and I can put the Glock at 4:00 in exactly the same position and it feels great - I don't like carrying this way though because I'm uncomfortable with a round chambered and the 'give' in the fabric pocket of the belly band.

I may be one of them that just struggles with IWB - I have considered a OWB from Raven but I've been committed to making the IWB work. I actually have a Sig P226 (Tac Ops) as well and I can't imagine trying to make that work for me IWB - Ha! But it is my favorite of all of them!

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Welcome!

So, your user name. Navy? Fire? Indian? What kind of chief?
Chief wrote:. . ., but my experience over the past few months tells me that the thinness is the most important measurement for my comfort. . . .
No, I would say a good quality gunbelt is the most important factor in comfort.

A good gunbelt can make a crappy holster feel comfortable. A crappy gunbelt can make a good holster feel uncomfortable.

If you are wearing jeans with IWB, make sure the waist is sized an inch or so larger to accommodate. Then get the gunbelt!

There are tons of threads on gunbelts. Do a search.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
Chief

Post by Chief »

A small amount of Indian is the origin of my username... Thanks for the advice - I had come to the same conclusion about the belt by reading this forum...

I've got a Comp-Tac MTAC and a Comp-Tac 2-O'Clock I'm trying for holsters, and then added a Comp-Tac Kydex reinforced belt. I can't say enough about the quality of these products - I think the issue is with me - a combination of my body type, clothing, etc. One other thing - both holsters seem to be better (make the Glock feel lighter) if I tighten the belt uncomfortably tight - maybe I need to get used to wearing a belt that tight instead of allowing a bit of play in it...

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

Chief wrote:A small amount of Indian is the origin of my username... Thanks for the advice - I had come to the same conclusion about the belt by reading this forum...

I've got a Comp-Tac MTAC and a Comp-Tac 2-O'Clock I'm trying for holsters, and then added a Comp-Tac Kydex reinforced belt. I can't say enough about the quality of these products - I think the issue is with me - a combination of my body type, clothing, etc. One other thing - both holsters seem to be better (make the Glock feel lighter) if I tighten the belt uncomfortably tight - maybe I need to get used to wearing a belt that tight instead of allowing a bit of play in it...
Yeah, unless your shoulders are just that much wider than your waist, there does have to be some tightness to pull the gun close.

Someone here made their own holster by affixing an OWB holster (I think) to a moderately wide strip of denim (with velcro on each end) and wearing the whole thing like an "underbelt". That was pulled pseudo-tight IIRC, and the belt that held up his pants was tightened to its normal tension. Velcro and a strip of denim (assuming you don't have an old pair of jeans laying around that doesn't fit anymore or has too many holes) shouldn't cost too much if you want to try that idea.

Lemmie go see if I can find that post. It had pictures and everything...

Edit: Found it! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Dave2 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

FWIW, I also own a MTAC and think it is an excellent holster, but I finally started carrying OWB because it is just easier, and I've concealed both double stack and single stack pistols of all sizes with no real problems. Smallest guns are either a tiny little scandium j-frame .357 or a Kahr PM9. Largest guns are either a 5" 1911 or a full sized M&P45. Several sizes in between too.....Glock 19, for instance. To each his own, and there is no "wrong" way as long as the gun is concealed, but for me it just turned out to be a whole lot more comfortable with an OWB holster.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Matt78665

Post by Matt78665 »

I also find it much easier to coceal my full size M&P IWB when I wear 2 layers of clothing. I wear a t-shirt covered by a button down left untucked. I use a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB and like I said I have no problems with concealment. Your body type and clothing choice are variables that need to be considered hand in hand to provide the correct mix
"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
St. Augustine

fannypacker

Post by fannypacker »

Chief, I had always been told I have Indian blood so I got a DNA test to establish I am 7 % American Indian and proud to claim my heritage.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

I am a fan of the belly band and you can move it any where you want as the day goes on
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

jmra

Post by jmra »

fannypacker wrote:Chief, I had always been told I have Indian blood so I got a DNA test to establish I am 7 % American Indian and proud to claim my heritage.
I know my grandmother was mostly Indian. She gave birth to my mother in a tent and about a year later died in the same tent. Mom was adopted by some local pale faces so don't know a lot about her mom. Never thought of taking a DNA test. How much does it cost, if you don't mind me asking.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

jmra wrote:
fannypacker wrote:Chief, I had always been told I have Indian blood so I got a DNA test to establish I am 7 % American Indian and proud to claim my heritage.
I know my grandmother was mostly Indian. She gave birth to my mother in a tent and about a year later died in the same tent. Mom was adopted by some local pale faces so don't know a lot about her mom. Never thought of taking a DNA test. How much does it cost, if you don't mind me asking.
I saw a TV special about a month ago were Harry Connick Jr and Branford Marsalis were tested to determine their ancestry. It was an interesting program. http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20120 ... onnick-Jr-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have heard that some cost around $150. There are others who don't believe the test is accurate. Here is one reference that talks about the different types of tests.

http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/Indian-DNA-Test.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Chief

Post by Chief »

For what it's worth - I think I'm 1/32, and belong to a tribe (Delaware/Cherokee) and have the lineage all the way back. Folks in my 'tree' have cards issued by the tribe and I even got all of my kids registered - kinda a cool little history for them... Don't know anything about the DNA testing stuff...

Return to “New to CHL?”