Ace Case Holsters

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Stumpjumper
Posts in topic: 2

Ace Case Holsters

Post by Stumpjumper »

Anybody used an Ace Case Holster? They have a great deal but it seems that when something is this cheap there's a reason why.
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Ace Case Holsters

Post by RPB »

I bought one for a Glock.
plastic vinyl, tuckable
They are ill-fitting; a Glock flops around in one made for a Glock <- that's why I don't wear it. It fits the gun made for it as well as a grocery sack would.
They are worth what you pay for one, under $5.00
Usable, but not ideal.
It's in my "probably will never wear outside the house except to do yard work maybe" box.

Not the worst holster I owned though, I might wear it wade-fishing or something, but probably not.
The vinyl might keep gun dry while mowing the yard...

Instead, (another "inexpensive holster) I wear a Desantis Tuck This 2 with my Glock 26/19 ... all day every day pretty much... for the last 3 years. And I recommend it, I own several and don't intend to wear anything else with my Glocks, but the one for my XD45 seems to ride a bit high. Tuck This 2 is best worn at 3:00 right next to a belt loop since it uses only one clip, the weight is on the pants at the belt loop and the belt. I use a belt with Velcro sewn on the backside (CompTac) and add Velcro to the steel clip too.
I wear a spare mag that's a Glock 17 mag with a +3 extension, it's longer (and more capacity) than a Glock 26 mag, so the cant on the holster works well with the mag base just above my belt... and 20 rounds "extra" if needed.

I REALLY like the spare mag holder, though it could be better, saves having to carry a spare another way AND helps round out the belt around the pistol.
About $15-30.00 depending on Sales etc.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearc ... uck+this+2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.lapolicegear.com/desantis-tuck-this-2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by RPB on Sat May 12, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

just pulled my "Glock" Ace Case out of the box, noticed it was shaped like a revolver now, bulging where the cylinder was ... remembered, I wore it mowing the lawn a couple weeks ago with my Stainless Taurus revolver loaded with snake shot ... and

That's the ONLY time I was ever outed ... church treasurer came by, rubber grip on revolver stuck to my shirt (and metal Ace Case CLIP showed on top of belt, where my Tuck this 2 clip, and Velcro clips goes under my belt instead of on top) and the lady says "are you wearing a gun?"

I replied "always" ... all those years at church and she didn't notice my tuck this 2 with Glock or hybrid holster with Velcro clips (which go under my belt) and Glock or Xd-45 in a Tuck This 2...

I wear an Ace case one day, within a few hours I was "made" but partly due to the rubber grip on the revolver I never carry.
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper »

Thanks for the info. I have a crossbreed supertuck ordered but wanted something until it comes in. With the crossbreed being three or four weeks (ordered April 29th), I wanted to try to find something fairly inexpensive to get me by until it comes in. I have a Fobus but don't really want to use it for CC.
What chance does America have if good people do nothing?

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

;-) It's worth 4 or 5 bucks, ok for temporary I guess.... better than an old "Uncle Mikes type nylon non-tuckable."
The area over the clip rides a bit high so if you do tuck, you'll need to blouse a lot of shirt over the top of that or trim it probably.
I'm no lawyer

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 2farnorth »

I've been using one for more than a year now. It fits my PF9 like a glove and rides real well. The only thing I don't like about it is re-holstering. It takes two hands to do it. You can't beat the price for a reliable temporary holster.
I have a second one that is ambidextrous. It's not as tight as the first one but I have used it a few times. It does allow the gun to ride a little lower and I can use it for my backup when necessary.

Are they the best? No. But they are very usable til you decide on a more permanent holster.
N5PNZ

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 3

Post by barstoolguru »

they are well made but the firearm sits way below the beltline when you wear it
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

rev210

Post by rev210 »

I have an Ace Case and a cheap Uncle Mikes that I used before I got my Crossbreed for my Glock 26, out of the two cheap ones I found the ace case to be a little better but you get what you pay for and it was well worth it paying more for the crossbreed.

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

it’s a shame that the gun sits so low. For 10 bucks it’s a good holster but if you look at one the belt clip sits at the top edge of the holster instead on 2/3rds of the way up which makes the gun very hard to access
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

I'll say it depends on the gun. If you are going to cheaper than dirt to buy have the gun with you to test fit it. I found that the one recommended for about a "makarov sized" pistol didn't fit as well as another model. The one that fit well does exceptionally well considering it is very cheap. Not as good as a "real" holster but fine for sometimes carry. I have a good holster for the pistol but have used the ace case often as it is less bulky. As mentioned the grip does sit lower then normal for some pistols but in my case it actually is a more comfortable carry with shorts and less obvious under a t-shirt.

I'll say they are okay for some uses but not all. For another pistol of mine there was no model that would work or I would trust so it comes down to fit. You are definitely getting what you pay for considering the price if the fit and support for a smaller framed gun work for you. And they are heads and shoulders above uncle mikes. They are definitely a trade-off is some areas such as quality but who can argue for under $10 if it fits just right.

So my overall grade: Maybe/It depends

sorry that isn't more specific. :mrgreen:
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

I should add for a heavier pistol and even some smaller ones there is a night and day difference between the ace case and "real" holsters. But the ace case models are minimalist when that is what you are looking for.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

I bought a couple of them. one for an LCP and with a few modifications (rivets) it worked great but the one I bought for my G23 fit nice in the holster part but when I added it to me belt the gun was so low I couldn't draw it. It would take too much to take it apart and hand stich it back together.

maricar

Post by maricar »

I bought one holster which great for me since it is adjustable and can fit with any of my stuff.

Last edited by maricar on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Update

I still use my Tuck This 2 IWB for my Glock

but I do use the Ace case I bought for the Glock with my Taurus PT709 Slim in a pocket for my BUG.

I sewed the barrel end together to reduce pocket lint/cookie crumbs, took a razor and removed the belt clip.

So, I use it.
I'm no lawyer

Return to “New to CHL?”