17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OldCannon
Posts in topic: 19

Re: 17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Post by OldCannon »

Keith B wrote:
OldCannon wrote:And now the inevitable backlash the other way. Apparently, these are becoming popular with gun ranges in Florida. There's supposed to have been a couple of TV news channels reporting on this now. I'll post the links when I can find them.

Personally, I find that very inappropriate and would not go to a gun range that sold them and shoot there. It is just another way to make the gun owners/CHL holders look like a bunch of vigilantes that are out for blood.
It certainly doesn't help close this issue at all, but some range owners there see it as an opportunity for free press, and it has increased business by giving frustrated gun owners a way to vent. I wouldn't have this kind of stuff if I had a gun range. Then again, I wouldn't carry zombie or Osama bin Laden targets either.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 13

Post by RoyGBiv »

recaffeination wrote:There's a saying that we shouldn't attribute to malcr what can be explained by stupidity.
Hanlons Razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Keith B
Posts in topic: 64

Post by Keith B »

OldCannon wrote:
Keith B wrote:
OldCannon wrote:And now the inevitable backlash the other way. Apparently, these are becoming popular with gun ranges in Florida. There's supposed to have been a couple of TV news channels reporting on this now. I'll post the links when I can find them.

Personally, I find that very inappropriate and would not go to a gun range that sold them and shoot there. It is just another way to make the gun owners/CHL holders look like a bunch of vigilantes that are out for blood.
It certainly doesn't help close this issue at all, but some range owners there see it as an opportunity for free press, and it has increased business by giving frustrated gun owners a way to vent. I wouldn't have this kind of stuff if I had a gun range. Then again, I wouldn't carry zombie or Osama bin Laden targets either.
I never would shoot them, but I really see those in a little different light. The whole zombie thing is a little silly IMO. A couple of the gun shows on television, American Gun and Sons of Guns have both had 'zombie gun' episodes recently. I know that it is basically represents the 'when society breaks down and we go into a civil war' mode, but still think it is just silly. Maybe that's because I just never was a fan of zombie movies. Anyway, shooting those or other imaginary targets is OK IMO.

As for the OBL target, he was TRULY and enemy of the US, his lackeys attacked us, and we had declared war on terrorism and Al Quida. I see it as no different than Hitler targets and other similar things during WWII.

The issue with the hoodie target, it sheds a negative light on an ongoing investigation and trial, and, as I said, CHL holders and gun owners in general. Zimmerman and the gun community as a whole doesn't need that, especially with as much media attention as it is already getting. We need to be very mature in any discussions about the event, and put as much of a positive spin on it as we can. My whole statement to people when asked is 'I do not know what went on during the confrontation. Hopefully that will come out fully in trial. If Zimmerman was justified, then he should be cleared of wrong doing. If they find evidence that he was not, then he should pay for his crime.'
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 13

Post by RoyGBiv »

KidGBiv likes shooting at zombie targets.
If it takes a zombie to get the kid to the range it's ok by me.

It's impossible to avoid the zombie phenomenon these days... Movies, TV, even Disney Channel has zombie content.
Parenting... Puts everything in proper perspective.

No hoodie targets for me.... for all the reasons stated above.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 134

Post by mamabearCali »

IMO this is unhelpful at best. This is a serious situation and while I understand why they are selling and why people are using them (mostly to vent), I would not shoot those. However I mostly shoot paper plates.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

teddy salad
Posts in topic: 4

Post by teddy salad »

Now that's an inappropriate target. Stay classy, Florida.

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 19

Post by smoothoperator »

What's the big deal? Looks like a Nazgûl with snacks instead of a sword.

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

smoothoperator wrote:What's the big deal? Looks like a Nazgûl with snacks instead of a sword.
One Snack to rule them all,
One Snack to find them,
One Snack to bring them all,
And in the darkness bind them.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 104

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just got back from Florida last night. A couple of nights ago I had the chance to talk to a guy from Sanford, and I asked him what the prevailing opinion in Sanford is about Zimmerman's guilt/innocence, and his reply basically paralleled what most here seem to be saying: that A) Zimmerman probably should have not followed Martin, but the shooting was legitimate use of force in self-defense; B) that people in Sanford mostly believe that Zimmerman will be acquitted; and C) that Sanford PD officers still seem to think that the case was properly handled from the git-go.

I just thought that it was interesting because we're 1500 miles away, while his comments were from someone who lives in the community where the events took place.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Post by sjfcontrol »

teddy salad wrote:
smoothoperator wrote:What's the big deal? Looks like a Nazgûl with snacks instead of a sword.
One Snack to find them,
:smilelol5: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

terryg
Posts in topic: 8

Post by terryg »

RoyGBiv wrote:KidGBiv likes shooting at zombie targets.
If it takes a zombie to get the kid to the range it's ok by me.
My daughter also loves to shoot the zombie targets. I really don't see how those could be offensive or at least any more offensive than the standard silhouette target.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

teddy salad wrote:
One Snack to find them,
Ring Dings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
M&Ms for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Chips for Mortal Men doomed to die,
Jell-O for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the District of Columbia where everyone lies.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

tacticool wrote: Ring Dings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
M&Ms for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Chips for Mortal Men doomed to die,
Jell-O for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the District of Columbia where everyone lies.
:hurry: "rlol"

You win!!

tbrown
Posts in topic: 14

Post by tbrown »

tacticool wrote:Ring Dings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
That sounds a lot like the Elves in MHI. Although their queen eats Ho-Hos with ranch dressing. http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2010/ ... the-elves/
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

jmra
Posts in topic: 77

Post by jmra »

I take it there's not much news about the case lately.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Off-Topic”