New Mexico Drops Several States Including Texas

Discussion of other state's CHL's & reciprocity

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Limey Hooligan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: New Mexico Drops Several States Including Texas

Post by Limey Hooligan »

Yes, it looks like as long as you meet their criteria for CHL, you are still good. It only applies to people who have a Texas CHL and don't meet NM's criteria (if they had applied for one in NM they would have been denied).

So, it looks like most of us are still OK...

Good luck trying to enforce that though -
they can carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico so long as they are a U.S. Citizen, over 21 years of age, and not convicted of disqualifying violent crimes.
So, they're going to run a background check on everyone they stop with a Texas CHL??? :smilelol5:
Springfield XD45 bi-tone compact with Streamlight
Taurus PT709 Slim bi-tone
Izhmash Saiga-12 shotgun highly customized from Lone Star Arms

healedknee

Post by healedknee »

All, please see info at: http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-conc ... greements/

"As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012

New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia."

Bottom line is that as of 1 May (this was posted sometime this afternoon) TX CHL is good in NM:

Dave

speedsix
Posts in topic: 7

Post by speedsix »

...burning up the phones did make a difference...guess they need their tourist money, too...I didn't remember any of that part about them contacting our DPS as to who would or wouldn't be recognized...but this from the DPS TEXAS site today: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administra ... rocity.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

December 29, 2004 New Mexico

Note: Texas has recognized New Mexico's licenses since December 29, 2004, and continues to do so. However, effective April 27, 2012 New Mexico no longer recognizes Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses. Further information regarding New Mexico’s position may be obtained by contacting the New Mexico Department of Public Safety or reviewing its website at http://www.dps.nm.org/index.php/nm-conc ... greements/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

...the May 1, 2012 date wasn't on it this morning...so they've "adjusted" things today...we DID good today...

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Thanks for responding to this call-to-action; it made a tremendous difference. I have good information that the above-referenced numbers were buried in phone calls, primarily from Texas. NM has clearly backed down and I think the ultimate result will be that Texas reciprocity will remain in place. It may be that an age limit (21 yrs) and U.S. Citizen requirement will be added, but reciprocity likely will not be cancelled.

The six point criteria arbitrarily chosen by New Mexico DPS as audit points are still on the NM website and apparently will remain the measuring stick. These audit points aren't found in the NM statute; they are the creation of the NM DPS. If they remain in place, they could be a problem in the future. I suspect they they will be abandoned quietly after the face-saving phase is over.

At this point, we need not make anymore calls or send more emails. Thanks again for all of your efforts folks.

Chas.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:Thanks for responding to this call-to-action; it made a tremendous difference. I have good information that the above-referenced numbers were buried in phone calls, primarily from Texas. NM has clearly backed down and I think the ultimate result will be that Texas reciprocity will remain in place. It may be that an age limit (21 yrs) and U.S. Citizen requirement will be added, but reciprocity likely will not be cancelled.

The six point criteria arbitrarily chosen by New Mexico DPS as audit points are still on the NM website and apparently will remain the measuring stick. These audit points aren't found in the NM statute; they are the creation of the NM DPS. If they remain in place, they could be a problem in the future. I suspect they they will be abandoned quietly after the face-saving phase is over.

At this point, we need not make anymore calls or send more emails. Thanks again for all of your efforts folks.

Chas.
Awesome! Way to go everybody!
Last edited by Thomas on Wed May 02, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdkinman

Post by jdkinman »

speedsix wrote:...that leaves loaded car carry for defense...and unloaded on-person carry in many locations...not optimum but better than some states...my choice is just to strike NM from the list of states I'll spend money in...
Agree. We just cancelled our week-long hotel reservations in Ruidoso, including rental car and several other things we had planned on doing.

I gave them this reason SPECIFICALLY as to why we were canceling and suggested they contact their governor's office.

We'll now go to Colorado or South Dakota instead.

We refuse to support, in any way, a place, city or state that does not support our Second Amendment rights.

JD

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...it is typical of the liberal mind not only to decide for him/herself...but to want to decide for us, too...they can't keep from inflicting their will on as many as they can find power to do so...I think it comes from the insecurity they feel at being wrong...and want a crowd to blend in with...I've never heard a liberal say "You're entitled to your own opinion"...

MOA

Post by MOA »

speedsix wrote:...it is typical of the liberal mind not only to decide for him/herself...but to want to decide for us, too...they can't keep from inflicting their will on as many as they can find power to do so...I think it comes from the insecurity they feel at being wrong...and want a crowd to blend in with...I've never heard a liberal say "You're entitled to your own opinion"...
I see that whenever open carry comes up. There's always people who oppose it because it's not something they would do.

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

I know we don't like to talk about it in the 'polite society' of the CHL Forum, but, with a few exceptions, NM is an OPEN CARRY State. I've done it several times. :shock:

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

Limey Hooligan wrote:Yes, it looks like as long as you meet their criteria for CHL, you are still good. It only applies to people who have a Texas CHL and don't meet NM's criteria (if they had applied for one in NM they would have been denied).

So, it looks like most of us are still OK...

Good luck trying to enforce that though -
they can carry a concealed weapon in New Mexico so long as they are a U.S. Citizen, over 21 years of age, and not convicted of disqualifying violent crimes.
So, they're going to run a background check on everyone they stop with a Texas CHL??? :smilelol5:
I for one avoid NM like the plague,
after being detained in the county lock up in abq for three days because a DUMB policeman couldn't read, yes he was a dummy. yes 15 is really after 11. but not in nm
this bump just re-inforces their oddness there.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

MOA wrote:
speedsix wrote:...it is typical of the liberal mind not only to decide for him/herself...but to want to decide for us, too...they can't keep from inflicting their will on as many as they can find power to do so...I think it comes from the insecurity they feel at being wrong...and want a crowd to blend in with...I've never heard a liberal say "You're entitled to your own opinion"...
I see that whenever open carry comes up. There's always people who oppose it because it's not something they would do.
Not to hijack the thread but the reason that many of us are concerned about open carry is that LEOs in some of the States where it is supposed to be legal do not acknowledge that legality. On this forum, there was a specific incident in PA, where open carry is legal. I freely admit that Philadelphia (where the incident occurred) has a way of making their own rules. We visit PA often (we have relatives there) and there may be some places where, if I saw others doing it, I might, too. I do not, however, have any desire to become a test case in PA because I did not understand the difference between the State law and the local practice of not following it.

Back to the thread, I'm curious about the six items on the NM website. It looks like only the issuing of licenses to non US citizens would be a problem for Texas. All of the other 5 items are already part of the Texas process. What am I missing?
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I think we all detest not knowing where we stand...what's really expected...if the law says XXX, then XXX it should be...not XX because some local chief or heavy-leaning officer is ignorant or disagrees..we are expected to follow XXX to the "T"...we have a right to expect "them" to do it the same way...then everyone can win...

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

chasfm11 wrote:Back to the thread, I'm curious about the six items on the NM website. It looks like only the issuing of licenses to non US citizens would be a problem for Texas. All of the other 5 items are already part of the Texas process. What am I missing?
There are two differences. Texas will issue to some people who aren't US citizens and some people under 21.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RHenriksen »

Amen, sir
speedsix wrote:...I think we all detest not knowing where we stand...what's really expected...if the law says XXX, then XXX it should be...not XX because some local chief or heavy-leaning officer is ignorant or disagrees..we are expected to follow XXX to the "T"...we have a right to expect "them" to do it the same way...then everyone can win...
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

I just checked again, and It looks like reciprocity between TX and NM is still in good standing.

I'm going to be traveling through in a month or so, so that's good news!

Return to “Other States”