Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
lightbulb1988
Posts in topic: 4

White Hat Max Tuck IWB Holster vs. Crossbreed

Post by lightbulb1988 »

Hello all I just joined this forum and I just got my plastic last week! :hurry:

I have a Taurus 709 Slim that I am planning on using for concealment. I am a female so I definitely needed something small to carry IWB. I've done my fair share of research for holsters and I have been on the fence about either getting the Crossbreed Mini Tuck or the White Hat Max Tuck. At first I was leaning towards the Crossbreed due to the larger amount of positive reviews and videos on the product. But here are some of things that pushed me towards White Hat. Keep in mind that these two companies both make great holsters and they are both very similar in design.

Max Tuck:
-customizable kydex and horse/cow hide stains and colors
-can purchase additional kydex adapters for multiple guns and it will fit on the same backing
-cheaper, but same great quality. Holsters start at about $59, different clips are only about $2.50 more, and combat cut is free (crossbreed MINItuck starting holster price $67.75, different clips are $10 more, combat cut is an additional $10)

Crossbreed Mini Tuck (not the super tuck):
-smaller overall holster in terms of dimensions (I didn't find many videos on the MiniTuck but I liked how it would be smaller, and since I have a small frame I figured it would be better fit)
-slightly thinner hide backing (better flexibility)

Despite all the reviews on crossbreed and white hat, today, I just ordered the Max Tuck because I also own a Sub Compact 9mm XDM and I wanted to have the option of wearing it without having to buy a whole new holster.

My question is...has anyone out there tried out either of these holsters? How do they fit?

Thanks!

urnoodle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: White Hat Max Tuck IWB Holster vs. Crossbreed

Post by urnoodle »

I don't have any experience with either holster. Just wanted to say congratulations on the plastic and welcome to the forum!
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

lightbulb1988 wrote:...on the fence about either getting the Crossbreed Mini Tuck or the White Hat Max Tuck. ...has anyone out there tried out either of these holsters? How do they fit? !
Hi, LB! I've had a MaxTuck for my Walther PPS+Viridian C5L light/laser combo since December and love it. Originally, when decicind about an IWB I picked up the phone and called several of the manufacturers to ask questions - was definitely not impressed with Crossbreed's folks and wound up purchasing a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC for my Walther. When I added the light/laser combo, none of the manufacturers would touch the combo except for White Hat, who, being local to me in Arlington, said "come on over and we'll get you set up". They had my new holster ready in four days! And, didn't charge anything extra for the customization. They'll get my business from now on, fer sure!

I got the horsehide backing and prefer it over cowhide - horsehide has the rep of staying more flexible when subjected to sweat/moisture and so far, is still nice an plyable. It's molded well to my carry position (about 3:30 on the right hand side). The kydex has not needed adjusting, but they not only tell you how you can do it, but offer to do it for you if needed at no extra charge other than return postage.

The one customization I did was to take a set of the kydex clips from my Comp-Tac MTAC and mount them on the White Hat holster - White Hat is supposed to have their kydex clips available by now - as well as the velcro strips for use with a velcro-backed belt. I definitely prefer plastic over metal clips - so that's something that you can think about retrofitting if you got the metal and decide you don't like them.

White Hat are the good guys, IMHO.

Wayne
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

tomjh
Posts in topic: 6

Post by tomjh »

I've been researching and buying holsters for the past 6-9 months and with every post I read I'm finding another holster I want! Thanks! ;-)

Now I want the White Hat Max Tuck. My issue is that I have several guns and I'm planning on buying another one and can't decide which one I want to carry. I have a Super Tuck for my Sig Sp2022 but don't really want to carry that one. I have a Glock 19 and want a Ruger SR9C and will probably switch between those two along with an LCP for quick pocket carry.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for bringing the Max Tuck to my attention.

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

lightbulb1988 wrote:
Despite all the reviews on crossbreed and white hat, today, I just ordered the Max Tuck because I also own a Sub Compact 9mm XDM and I wanted to have the option of wearing it without having to buy a whole new holster.

Thanks!
Hey lightbulb did your MaxTuck come in yet? I've been eyeballing this holster since I read your post and was curious how you like it.

Topic author
lightbulb1988

Post by lightbulb1988 »

It hasn't come in yet...but I looked online at the status and it's in the final stages of processing. So hopefully it'll be shipped sometime next week!! :)

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

I had not heard of them, first glance (home page) looked like metal clips that would scratch my $100.00 belts
but now that I dug into their site and found
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/category-s/1845.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1) Velcro Strips - LOOP BELT STRIPS ONLY
2) Velcro Clips
3) J-Hook Kydex Clips

I might try one out someday, especially like the various kydex patterns/patriot series animal prints etc.
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/Patriot ... 0kydex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/Cammo-R ... 0kydex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd probably get camo
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/Cammo-R ... 0kydex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or Texas Flag
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/Patriot ... 0kydex.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Super tempted now ... I'm so spoiled on being able to carry a spare mag and the J hook on my Desantis Tuck This 2 though, and I'd need to go back to separate mag carrier or pocket
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

RPB wrote:I had not heard of them, first glance (home page) looked like metal clips that would scratch my $100.00 belts
http://www.whitehatholsters.com/category-s/1845.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) Velcro Clips
3) J-Hook Kydex Clips
With my supertuck even the j hooks scratch my belt. I just figure that comes with the territory. I don't tuck in shirts either so my belt doesn't show anyway. I don't like the j hooks though because they put the weight of the gun on the pants instead of the belt.

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

lightbulb1988 wrote:It hasn't come in yet...but I looked online at the status and it's in the final stages of processing. So hopefully it'll be shipped sometime next week!! :)
Keep us updated once you get it. I'm seriously considering getting one. I may be up near Dallas soon too so perhaps I can stop by and see them.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RPB »

tomjh wrote:
RPB wrote:I had not heard of them, first glance (home page) looked like metal clips that would scratch my $100.00 belts
2) Velcro Clips
3) J-Hook Kydex Clips
With my supertuck even the j hooks scratch my belt. I just figure that comes with the territory. I don't tuck in shirts either so my belt doesn't show anyway. I don't like the j hooks though because they put the weight of the gun on the pants instead of the belt.
They do/would normally, except I apply StickyBack Velcro (hooks side) on the clips so they attach to and are supported by the Velcro sewn onto the belt, the belt, and the pants (CompTac belt with Velcro option) But yeah, I weasr cargo shorts/Jeans etc, I wouldn't do J hooks with stretchy nylon/Banlon/knit type pants or maybe some suit pants, but I have worn Velcro clips with suit pants..
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

They do/would normally, except I apply StickyBack Velcro (hooks side) on the clips so they attach to and are supported by the Velcro sewn onto the belt, the belt, and the pants (CompTac belt with Velcro option) But yeah, I weasr cargo shorts/Jeans etc, I wouldn't do J hooks with stretchy nylon/Banlon/knit type pants or maybe some suit pants, but I have worn Velcro clips with suit pants..[/quote]

That's a great idea. I may have to look into trying that.

Topic author
lightbulb1988

Post by lightbulb1988 »

Just got an email today saying that the holster is SHIPPED!! Hopefully it won't be long till I'll get to try it on and let y'all know my opinions on it! :woohoo

Topic author
lightbulb1988

Post by lightbulb1988 »

Hi everyone!

Well I got my Max Tuck last night and today I wore it all day to work. I'd have to say this type of IWB holster is the best that I have ever tried. When I first got the holster it seemed like it would be very uncomfortable due to the stiffness of the horsehide backing. But after wearing it for a full day it is starting to take the shape of my hip. I can't say that I COULDN'T feel it. Because I will admit after about 6 hours of standing and wearing the holster...my back started to hurt. I'm hoping this will go away with time as the hide wears in. The kydex is the perfect fit for my Taurus 709 slim. It did seem loose, but after putting the holster on and then slipping the gun into place, I knew that it wasn't going anywhere without me knowing. It was snug as a bug. :thumbs2:

I definitely recommend this holster for anyone who has multiple guns that they want to carry but don't want to have to buy multiple IWB holsters for them.

If anyone has any questions about it please feel free to let me know.

Happy shooting! :fire

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

lightbulb1988 wrote:Hi everyone!

Well I got my Max Tuck last night and today I wore it all day to work. I'd have to say this type of IWB holster is the best that I have ever tried. When I first got the holster it seemed like it would be very uncomfortable due to the stiffness of the horsehide backing. But after wearing it for a full day it is starting to take the shape of my hip. I can't say that I COULDN'T feel it. Because I will admit after about 6 hours of standing and wearing the holster...my back started to hurt. I'm hoping this will go away with time as the hide wears in. The kydex is the perfect fit for my Taurus 709 slim. It did seem loose, but after putting the holster on and then slipping the gun into place, I knew that it wasn't going anywhere without me knowing. It was snug as a bug. :thumbs2:

I definitely recommend this holster for anyone who has multiple guns that they want to carry but don't want to have to buy multiple IWB holsters for them.

Thanks for the update! I've got my eye on several different holsters I want to try and this is definitely one of them! Love the idea of being able to change out the kydex.

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

tomjh wrote:
lightbulb1988 wrote:Hi everyone!

Thanks for the update! I've got my eye on several different holsters I want to try and this is definitely one of them! Love the idea of being able to change out the kydex.
Thanks for the information. I had not heard of White Hat yet and am very interested in checking them out. I like close to Arlington so I may just stop in and check them out. I have been looking at alot of holsters trying to figure out what will work best for me. :thewave
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”