How many of your friends and family.....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How many of your friends and family.....

Post by C-dub »

Entire family and I even asked them if it were all right for me to carry in their homes. All said yes.

Very few friends know and I have not asked any of them if it were okay to carry in their homes. I'm not sure why the difference, but they've never asked me about it either. I guess they just assume that I am or have forgotten.

My own sister forgot about it for several years until her hand brushed across it giving me hug one day and it startled her. A couple years later, just a few short months ago, I took her to the range at her request for the first time ever.

My mom's not as phobic as TAM's mom, but she tolerates it and I open carry at their house when I'm there. I think my dad told her that he's okay with it and she needed to just get over it or something like that. Different generation ya know!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

My wife and adult kids know. A few firearms-friendly friends know. I rarely discuss it - I keep it concealed and never bring it up. No one has asked me if I'm carrying at any particular time. My in-laws don't know. They really were never a gun household, so it's never come up and I don't mention it. My daughter is married to a LEO who got his CHL before he got his certification, so she's used to it anyway. My son doesn't have a CHL yet, but he and I go to the range together. His wife's dad is LEO, so she's cool with it. My dad (passed away in 2007) got his CHL right after they became available. I guess my mom would be OK with it, but again the subject hasn't come up. Both of my younger brothers know I carry (one is LEO).

Outside of this list, probably less than 10 people know I have a CHL and carry daily.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Hmmm, our parents parents, my sister and her family, my best friends and families, but since we moved here, there really aren't many others, because of the life I have, it's something I have to keep fairly quiet. {dealing with elderly one hour and teens the next, you need to keep the gun very well hidden (sometimes from yourself)}
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

FishInTx

Post by FishInTx »

Wife and kids, bestest buddies, and inlaws that live down the road know. My two sisters are really really big libtards and I haven't told them YET. I'm sure they'll be thrilled. :mad5 Liberals are always happy. :bigmouth

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My son and future daughter in law know......but then I gave them their CHL class for Christmas 2010. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

I think everyone, friends, family and acquaintenances, know that I may be/probably am carrying. None of them have felt me up :eek6 to know for sure, and no one asks. Concealed is concealed, you know. :cool:

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Pretty much all my friends know. Certain members of my family know, the exception being my sister who is so liberal she makes Nanci Pelosi look like a member of Reagan's cabinet.

My fiancee knows and is getting her own CHL soon.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I do not hide the fact I carry, and often ask friends and family if they want to go to the range, to learn how to properly shoot, so they can learn to defend themselves.
I have some friends who know I carry, but they personally do not like guns, so around them, I do not try to persuade them to come to the good side of life, its their choice, but they still know I carry.

Anecdotally: about 2 years ago, my Dad and Step-Mom came down for a vacation from Ohio.
They both knew I had a CHL and my dad was looking forward to going to the range.
So he and I were talking in front of my Step-Mom. She was not so keen on the idea, but she was still a bit intrigued.
She said "are you carrying one now?" and I said yes, (we were in my house, so don't jump on me for the next part) - and lifted up my shirt at 4:00, before she could say it (I could see it in her face) she said "DONT TAKE IT OUT" - as if it would "go off" by itself.

I didn't take it out, and we talked more for another 1/2 hour or so.

The next day, I took my Dad to the range.

They went back home later, and about 6-8 months later, they came down again, this time, my Step-Mom wanted to go to the range and learn to shoot.- after about 30 rounds, she was doing great, and stopped jumping on the "BANG!" (*yes, eyes and ears were worn)
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

rcasady

Post by rcasady »

my wife , my parents and my in-laws know i carry . not sure if they know i carry ALL the time . i got 2 friends that know i carry but they live in different states and one of them also carries . I've only discussed it with others who have brought it up and i still never volunteered that i had one on me at the time and definitely didn't show it
my sister knows i CAN carry but I didnt feel it necessary to tell her when i was with her and her kids last .

now at work . (offshore) i think 75% of the guys i talk to know i carry but we never see each other outside of work . we live all over the country

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Kythas wrote:...the exception being my sister who is so liberal she makes Nanci Pelosi look like a member of Reagan's cabinet.
:lol: That's a good one! I'm going to have to steal it.
Everyone in my family including the in-laws know and are OK with the fact that I carry daily. The in-laws even mentioned that they feel a little safer when I'm carrying around their place near Washington, D.C.

fickman

Post by fickman »

All of my siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, second cousins, etc. know. My young kids don't yet, but that's just so that 1) they don't out me in public and 2) they don't "play" guns or have an unhealthy curiosity. We're still in the Eddie Eagles "stop, don't touch, leave the area, and tell an adult" phase with them.

All of my friends know. Most of my acquaintances know. Most of my neighbors know. Only a couple of my coworkers (who no longer directly work with or near me) know. But I work from home, so the coworker issues isn't as prevalent.

We can't convert people if they don't know which side we're on. Also, I like to act like it's a given, routine, normal part of life instead of an exceptional thing. They all know I wear pants, too.
Native Texian

fickman

Post by fickman »

To clarify, a few years ago I backed down on how many acquaintances find out. I had to instruct a few not to announce it casually to strangers.
Native Texian

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Just a few weeks ago I was at chorus rehearsal and the fact that I am working with A Girl & A Gun came up. There are usually about 100 of us at rehearsals--a few comments have been made about "Mary & her gun"--but the only comments that have been made publicly or even to me privately have been positive or inquisitive---The closest thing that "might" have been negative--Our director(Chicago bred!-but she has lived here for over 30 years at least)-said that she had mentioned it to some of her friends in Colorado & California and was surprised that they acted like it was no big deal! She said where she grew up the "only people who had a gun were named Guido". I said here they are just called Texans. I have offered to take her to the range and while she hasn't accepted the invitation-she hasn't declined it either, so I am hopeful. It was surprising to me that in our group I now know of at least 6 of us who have CHL's--and a few others that I suspect, but they haven't told & I haven't asked! 2 of them are now members of AG & AG & drive up from Dallas! One of them I took her & her husband to the range for some introductory classes.
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

Running Arrow Bill

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

All of my friends, family, kid, grandkids know I carry. Also trusted others that occasionally do work for us. Even my brother & SIL who are both anti-gun know. On a sidebar, I have never been outed by any customer or visitor that came here...even a few times I was open carrying who didn't say anything or even "flinch"...lol. After all we are in WEST Texas rural area! LOL!
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

llanite

Post by llanite »

I'm with fickman. All my family and inlaws know. Most of my close friends know. A fair number of co-workers do and I don't hide it, though I'm not the first to bring up CHL in casual conversation.

As a result I've helped 8 people, including 3 co-workers buy third first gun and get their CHL.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”