17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
tallmike
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 17y/o Killed By Neighborhood Watch/CHL

Post by tallmike »

Jusster wrote:If you ask me, it looks like many here sympathize with Zimmerman not based on evidence, but rather their personal hatred towards MSM

Sorry to hear the innocent do-gooder Mr. Zimmerman will finally have his day in court. Don’t forget to go out to his website and donate!!!

Jusster
I agree with that sentiment. We have no idea if he really was attacked first and forced to defend himself or if he instigated the attack and then used deadly force when he started losing. It would be wise to wait until the evidence is presented before we all rally to support this guy and thank him for his service - as another posted said earlier. And yes, I also believe that those who are pushing to string the guy up should wait until all of the evidence is presented before pushing for their version of "justice"

philip964
Posts in topic: 215

Post by philip964 »

I Can't decide if this is a good thing for Zimmerman or not. He will get his day in court and it probably will not cost him anything out of pocket. So he may be able to somewhat clear his name. He will be famous when it is over.

Or he will be found guilty and will spend a long time in jail.

However, for the parents of Trayvon, they got what they wished for. They are now the Rosa Parks of their generation. They may even get some punishment for the killer of their son. But the world will know a lot more about their son when it is over, it may not all be pretty.

Unlike rape charges, I am assuming that the defense can bring in any evidence he wants regarding the victim.

I am assuming all kinds of dirt will be dug up on Trayvon. With the little we know about him, he was not an honor student and a boy scout. From his Twitter photo, he was certainly a gansta wana be.

I just hope we have lots of forensic evidence.

Going to be an interesting one for trial watchers.

I'm sure none of it will benefit CHL's Castle doctrines or stand your ground laws.

I saw an article about a women who was being robbed at gun point at home, she retreated to her bedroom and got her gun. Shot one guy killed him and one guy escaped. The news story was so careful to point out that, this was ok in this case, since her state has a castle doctrine allowing her to do this.

It is so easy for it to become, you have no right to defend yourself, because we want to avoid 17 year olds being killed. And suddenly we are England.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Post by sjfcontrol »

Think they'll broadcast the trial? I didn't give a care about OJ -- but this one I'd watch with interest!
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

I womehow doubt it, as the trial isn't happening in California.
I agree with the sentiment that things are going to get ugly really quickly not only for Mr. Zimmerman, but also for the Martin family - I imagine they'll discover things about their son they didn't know, and have things they did know dragged out for the world to see.
But yes, they have their wish, their son's 'killer' will have his day in court.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Ameer »

AndyC wrote:You'd doubtless prefer that a "do-gooder" walk by your family if a problem were to occur?
If I was visiting Florida and witnessed a crime that's what I would do because that's what the people of Florida want.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

WildBill wrote:
Heartland Patriot wrote:
Jusster wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Jusster wrote:Sorry to hear the innocent do-gooder Mr. Zimmerman will finally have his day in court.
Probably a good thing, as opposed to being crucified by a biased and race-baiting media.

As for do-gooder...
Wikipedia wrote:The current American system of neighborhood watches began developing in the late 1960s as a response to the rape and murder of Kitty Genovese in Queens, New York. People became outraged after reports that a dozen witnesses did nothing to save Genovese or to apprehend her killer. Some locals formed groups to watch over their neighborhoods and to look out for any suspicious activity in their areas. Shortly thereafter, the National Sheriffs' Association began a concerted effort in 1972 to revitalize the "watch group" effort nationwide.
You'd doubtless prefer that a "do-gooder" walk by your family if a problem were to occur? You're familiar with the popular Edmund Burke quote, no doubt?
Yes I'm familiar with the quote, but in order for it to apply in this situation one would have to assume that Martin somehow represented evil....though I'm sure many here would classify him as such, but then I'd have to ask based on what? The same flawed thought process that Zimmerman followed when he labeled Martin as suspicious and up to no good.

I understand the concept of neighborhood watch and a applaud all who take the time out to serve their community. BUT I believe Zimmerman stepped over the line and caused the situation that he currently faces.

He's charged with 2nd degree murder, just as I predicted from the beginning.

Jusster
What is Florida's definition of 2nd degree murder? I had thought they would charge him with manslaughter, which I have read is easier to prove than murder. What burden of proof is there with a 2nd degree murder charge? I hear what VMI is saying, and I feel he may be not so far off the mark...but I would still like to know the "legalities" of this one, as it stands under FLORIDA law.
Second degree murder in Florida is a murder that is a "crime of passion". So it is not premediated murder.

I don't know the laws in Florida, but in other states, if the jury doesn't convict him of the murder charge they can still find him guilty of anything from manslaughter to assault with a deadly weapon.
So, they hit him with a non-capital murder charge...then they go for it full-tilt to make it look like they care, but in reality they'll be happy to throw him behind bars for darned near anything to assuage the howling mob, Zimmerman's ACTUAL guilt or innocence beside the point...and, of course, the criminal element behind bars will do the guy in...and Sharpton, Jackson, Farrakhan, et al. will shout to the rooftops how "justice" has been served but in reality it will be out of sheer joy at the power they wield...aided and abetted by the FILTHY MAINSTREAM MEDIA (darned right I hate their guts). It has NOT been about Martin in the least because just about any given day, black teens are killed violently across this nation and you barely hear a peep about it, but it is about the coming elections: shoring up the base, energizing their voters and creating a "crisis" to exploit Rahm Emmanuel-style in an effort to stem the recent slow, but steady return of firearms rights. DISGUSTING! (Well bless my heart, how's that for being "dogmatic"?)

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

Ameer wrote:
AndyC wrote:You'd doubtless prefer that a "do-gooder" walk by your family if a problem were to occur?
If I was visiting Florida and witnessed a crime that's what I would do because that's what the people of Florida want.
I will state again...my CHL is for the defense of myself, my loved ones/close friends, and others as the SITUATION MAY DICTATE, but applied in a very narrow fashion...I am not law enforcement...I have not had that sort of training and will not put myself in that position. My family matters more to me. It may be a lousy attitude, but George Zimmerman, for better or for worse, likely wouldn't have been in this situation if he had just let Martin go...whatever Martin was up to. It is a fine, modern, cynical world we live in...all credit be to Karl Marx, may his evil increase!

redlin67
Posts in topic: 6

Post by redlin67 »

The media has not changed the pictures of Martin or Zimmerman. This thing is so one sided that Zimmerman is still already convicted in their eyes.
Taurus PT111
Ruger LCP

5/26/10 Plastic

To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.
Confucius

donniet
Posts in topic: 1

Post by donniet »

No one here knows the facts of what happened, so, we can't in good faith make an informed determination. However, I was disturbed, when during the news conference the prosecuter in her own words said, "we will lead this effort to seek justice for Trayvon". Why can't we just seek "justice"?
Cory "these sweet parents" refering to Trayvon's parents. So, what about George's parents?
I want to see justice, but I don't think that is the goal here.
NRA ENDOWMENT
Plastic..many years ago

r_gray
Posts in topic: 1

Post by r_gray »

Zimmerman did pursue Martin, but then decided to leave. HE WAS LEAVING...GOING BACK TO HIS TRUCK.

Martin could have called 911 and complained about harassment, blown it off, etc., but NO, MARTIN DECIDED TO PURSUE ZIMMERMAN.

Now, perhaps Martin thought Zimmerman was still a threat (although Zimmerman was LEAVING). Martin pursued Zimmerman, CAME UP BEHIND HIM, and asked if he had a problem (Zimmerman said "no").
Martin STILL PURSUED ZIMMERMAN...VIOLENTLY ATTACKING HIM.

My conclusion: iIf there is no more significant evidence (the eyewitnesses support Zimmerman), I believe Zimmerman is innocent, and Trayvon Martin is guilty of assault. A person doesn't need a gun to assault...one's hands are harmful enough.
If Martin assaulted Zimmerman with his hands, Zimmerman had the right to defend himself...to stop Trayvon Martin.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 78

Post by Beiruty »

I used to like Mike Tyson as world champ, but now is promoting savagery and mob lynching. He is now the mark of out-law: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mik ... AM-;_ylv=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 270

Post by sjfcontrol »

Beiruty wrote:I used to like Mike Tyson as world champ, but now is promoting savagery and mob lynching. He is now the mark of out-law: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/mik ... AM-;_ylv=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, what do you expect from a convicted rapist? :shock:
In 1992, Tyson was convicted of raping Desiree Washington, a beauty pageant contestant, and served three years in prison.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 78

Post by Beiruty »

3 yrs for a rape? :eek6 :eek6

I thought rape could get you 20 to life, no?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Seburiel

Post by Seburiel »

Beiruty wrote:3 yrs for a rape? :eek6 :eek6

I thought rape could get you 20 to life, no?
Not when you're famous. :banghead:

Jusster
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Jusster »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Jusster wrote: Well from what I’ve read, Florida rarely uses the GJ unless it is for a capital offense. It would be unusual for this case to go to a GJ unless the prosecutor was attempting to pass the buck.

Jusster
You may be right, but I've never heard or read anything like this. Where did you read this?

Chas.
Hi Chas,

I read this in the NY Times. Source and quote below:
Once the evidence is in hand, Ms. Corey will have to determine not just whether to file charges but if so, which ones. By stating that she will not be using the grand jury, she has signaled that charges of first-degree murder are not on the table. In Florida, those charges can be issued only by a grand jury, and require a finding that the act was premeditated. A more likely charge under Florida law is manslaughter, but lesser charges like aggravated battery with a firearm are also a possibility, Mr. Friedman said.

Ms. Corey’s decision to forgo a grand jury is not unusual. Like other chief prosecutors in Florida, she typically steers clear of grand juries, unless required as in requests to try juveniles as adults.

Jeffrey S. Weiner, a criminal defense lawyer in Miami, said, “This is a courageous decision, no matter what she decides to do. A grand jury would have been a cop-out.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/10/us/gr ... wanted=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I thought it was a pretty straight forward article.

Jusster

Return to “Off-Topic”