I Was Really Suprised

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Keith
Posts in topic: 2

I Was Really Suprised

Post by Keith »

A few weeks back my son and I went shooting with 2 of my buddies on his 600 acre deer lease. After a day of hog hunting (shot nothing :-( ) we decided to spend the day shooting.

My friend had a scuba tank and a reg sized propane tank from a portable grill that we decided to stick out in the field and shoot at. We ranged the tanks at 465 yards. At first we used a Savage Arms 110 BA and were drilling the tanks. It's what happened next that shocked me.

I pulled out my Century Arms Sportier 39 AK with milled receiver and a Bushnell TRS25 red dot. What the heck let's try it. All I've ever read was how AKs are max 250/300 meter weapons. So I started shooting as my son watched the spotting scope.

On the 5 th shot I heard it as the bullet hit the propane tank DING! I was laughing my butt off. This can't be done it's an inaccurate AK lol. I gave the rifle to my son and explained were to put the dot. On his 3 Rd shot DING! Once he new were to put the dot he hit it continuesly. There is no magnification on the AK.

Moral of this story believe very little what u read and even less what you hear. Do your own testing. We also had an AR out there with a Acog 4x32 in .556. We all had the same success with this rifle. Smith & Wesson MP. On a closing note myself and my son are not x military or police snipers. Were just two guys who have shot since we were both 8 years old. Thanks grandpa/dad. My son is 14.

Take Care! Thanks for letting me share my story.
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

Seabear

Re: I Was Really Suprised

Post by Seabear »

Sounds like a good time. :thumbs2: You would be suprised what you can hit if you try. :fire
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

Keith wrote:A few weeks back my son and I went shooting with 2 of my buddies on his 600 acre deer lease. After a day of hog hunting (shot nothing :-( ) we decided to spend the day shooting.

My friend had a scuba tank and a reg sized propane tank from a portable grill that we decided to stick out in the field and shoot at. We ranged the tanks at 465 yards. At first we used a Savage Arms 110 BA and were drilling the tanks. It's what happened next that shocked me.

I pulled out my Century Arms Sportier 39 AK with milled receiver and a Bushnell TRS25 red dot. What the heck let's try it. All I've ever read was how AKs are max 250/300 meter weapons. So I started shooting as my son watched the spotting scope.

On the 5 th shot I heard it as the bullet hit the propane tank DING! I was laughing my butt off. This can't be done it's an inaccurate AK lol. I gave the rifle to my son and explained were to put the dot. On his 3 Rd shot DING! Once he new were to put the dot he hit it continuesly. There is no magnification on the AK.

Moral of this story believe very little what u read and even less what you hear. Do your own testing. We also had an AR out there with a Acog 4x32 in .556. We all had the same success with this rifle. Smith & Wesson MP. On a closing note myself and my son are not x military or police snipers. Were just two guys who have shot since we were both 8 years old. Thanks grandpa/dad. My son is 14.

Take Care! Thanks for letting me share my story.
Not unusual. It's not as though the bullets drop to the ground at 300 meters, having reached their maximum range, they can travel quite a distance beyond that. What you are referring to is the "maximum effective range" usually modified by "in the hands of troops" and effective range is a different thing than the maximum distance that the bullet will travel.

Included in the many factors that determine effective range is: the marksmanship capability of the AVERAGE shooter, which includes the ability to dope the shot fall and get on target; and the bullet's retained ballistic capability, IOW could it actually hurt something or is it just loafing along looking for something to stop it.

That you are above average marksmen, indicated by the fact that you were able to consistently hit a long range target using "Kentucky windage", is not in question, far from it, but think what might have happened to those tanks if you had been using something that retained a lot of energy at that range, such as a .30-06, .308, or a .338 Lapua, much less a .50.

It's fun to shoot long range, especially when you are scoring hits, and moreso when you are using something not designed to be used at those ranges.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Topic author
Keith

Post by Keith »

I agree the Savage Arms we shot first is my 338 Lapua went clean through. The AK didn't penetrate but put some good divots about 1/2 inch deep in a steel tank. We shot the scuba tank later in the day at 50 yards. It's an aluminum tank. The .556 would not penetrate the tank. The tank is about an inch thick. The 7.62x39 did penetrate but no exit. Even though the .556 is moving much faster it's doesn't have the bullet mass.

To be fair it was only a 62 grain/3000 fps bullet. The AK was 123 grains 2480 fps. I just got some Mk262 in .556 that is supposed to be a lethal round per military. Were going to do some test and see how it does.
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

Obviously a false story. Everyone knows AKs can't hit the broadside of a barn at 20 paces. ;-)

Sounds like a good time, thanks for sharing.
TANSTAAFL

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

74novaman wrote:Obviously a false story. Everyone knows AKs can't hit the broadside of a barn at 20 paces. ;-)

Sounds like a good time, thanks for sharing.
That's true, and I've been told my Mini-14 can't either. "rlol"
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”