Impressed by Remora

Holsters, sights, magazines, etc.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Irish
Posts in topic: 2

Impressed by Remora

Post by Irish »

While waiting for my CHL to process, I have been trying different holster/clothing combos around the house. Yesterday, I decided to mess with the Remora for my G26. I started in a pair of jeans with a belt while doing some yardwork and it was fine in the appendix position. Changed to elastic waist cargo shorts since it was getting warm and continued to work. Up and down weeding, mulching, washing the cars, mending a fence, moving some dirt, repotting plants, etc. and it didn't move an inch. It was pretty sweaty after nine hours in the sun but just wiped it and the Glock off. Wore a t-shirt all day and wife and son had no idea I was carrying it. Needless to say, I am very impressed with this sub $30 holster that was in my hands 5 days after I ordered it. I'm sure it will have a solid place in my holster wardrobe.
Glock 26
Glock 19
RIA 1911A1 Compact

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Impressed by Remora

Post by Beiruty »

can you draw and reholster normally, does it stay in place? How about when you get seated in the car? Does the holster shift? IS there any holsters for pistols with light/lasers?
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

We have Remora's for the M&P Compact and the little Sig. I've used the Remora for the M&P a couple of times and I don't care for it since it did shift around just a tad with normal activities. Wife was primarily using the Remora when she carried the Sig, but now she usually carries IWB with a traditional clip holster.

We keep adding to our collection of holsters and discovering what works well and what doesn't. I've settled on the Galco KingTuk IWB and the Kangroo Carry for most situations.

If you get the Remora with the reinforced opening, it is fairly easy to reholster.

Edit: The Sig has a trigger guard laser and it would not fit the recommended size holster, so I removed the laser.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

This is probably the first negative review of a remora holster I've seen.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

I ordered and received my Remora holster yesterday and so far I'm very impressed as well. This is the perfect option for me to be able to carry my G19 to work. Since I don't want to actually carry while I'm AT work I lock my gun up in my desk drawer all day. I didn't want to have to wear a Supertuck around all day and didn't want to fight with taking that on and off when I come and go. I had been bringing my LCP to work but with the Remora I'm now carrying my G19 and love it! I just pull the whole thing out and lock it up easier than it was taking my clip on IWB LCP holster off and on. Their customer service was is excellent too! I called with some questions and they threw in a free mag carrier and had them to me in about 3 business days from the time I placed the order. Great addition to carry options!

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I really like the Remora holsters, so much that I include one free with the "concealable" pistols I sell. They're not perfect, but with a holster like that, it's hard to get everything just right. The biggest challenge is that most of the holsters start off very snug and make it difficult to do a pocket draw. The best solution is to always keep the pistol holstered while the holster "learns" the shape of your gun.

For me, I get more peace of mind knowing I'm selling a pistol that will at least have some out-of-the-box holster.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Beiruty wrote:can you draw and reholster normally, does it stay in place? How about when you get seated in the car? Does the holster shift? IS there any holsters for pistols with light/lasers?
Not sure how "normally" fits in this situation. You can get Remoras with a reinforcement to assist in reholstering, as well as a fitment to support lasers/lights. They also offer special cuts that make it easier to get a grip on the pistol. Reholstering is possible, but how easy depends a lot on where the holster is positioned and whether you have the reinforced opening.
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

tomjh

Post by tomjh »

OldCannon wrote:I really like the Remora holsters, so much that I include one free with the "concealable" pistols I sell. They're not perfect, but with a holster like that, it's hard to get everything just right. The biggest challenge is that most of the holsters start off very snug and make it difficult to do a pocket draw. The best solution is to always keep the pistol holstered while the holster "learns" the shape of your gun.

For me, I get more peace of mind knowing I'm selling a pistol that will at least have some out-of-the-box holster.
I agree, may not be "perfect" but what holster is? For $30 this holster IMO is a must to add to your arsenal. While it may or may not be my favorite holster...the jury is still out...but it will definitely be my carry to work holster. I use it IWB and it is exactly what I've been looking for in this scenario. I got the reinforced band and you can reholster. It may be be as easy as you want it to be but I'm more concerned with conceal-ability and drawing.

oilman

Post by oilman »

I have used one for several weeks. I have a Walther PPQ with a Veridian C5 laser (no light).

I originally ordered the #10 with a reinforced top with the light/laser option. I also specified the ART (reduced profile top that enables getting a better grip on the gun during the draw).

The holster arrived without the ART option.
The extra space was not needed for the Veridian C5. The PPQ set too far down in the holster for my use.
I contacted Alan and he sent me a #10 reinforced top ART (no added space for laser/light). Great customer service.

The following is my experience with the #10 reinforced top ART IWB and the PPQ/C5 YMMV:

The PPQ/C5 combo fit very tightly in the holster. It was so tight that upon drawing sometimes the holster came out with the PPQ.

I left the PPQ/C5 in the holster for several days to allow the holster to mold to the PPQ/C5 a bit. The holster did loosen but it is still a tight fit especially with your belt but I can draw it now and the holster stays put. The holster is still tight while re-holstering. Re-holstering needs to be done slowly and deliberately (a good idea in general anyway).

The holster does shift around a bit during multiple draw/reholster drills. I probably would not use it in a training class.

The holster is very comfortable. I do not notice it while I am wearing it.

I have one of the new OWB Remoras on the way now to see how that works.

Topic author
Irish

Post by Irish »

Picked up a Glock 19 so I ordered a Remora for it with the full sweat shield. I also got a Don Hume 721 OT and an American Holster Invisi-Tuck. This seems to be my basic holster stable for the Glock and 1911 carries. The Remora doesn't move, very comfortable and perfect for grab and go.
Glock 26
Glock 19
RIA 1911A1 Compact

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Man, I love my remora. I have been wearing it almost exclusively for the past 2 months. I carry a G17 and G30 appendix... that thing really is great :)
No More Signature

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Man, seems no matter where I read I hear nothing but good stuff about Remoras.

I might need to check them out.
TANSTAAFL

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

I've had a Remora 4ART w/sweat shield for my 709 & 740 Slim's to share for four months and really enjoy using it - mainly around the house or quick errand runs in public. It stays in place wearing just skivvies with elastic waistband. Re holstering is no biggie (do not have the reinforced top) by inserting index finger of off hand, nose in and done. I also like the ease of complete removal of gun/holster when entering facilities where I cannot carry and must leave in vehicle. I have had to re-adjust at times from activity and pulling pants back up that have slipped down from stooping/bending. Gets a little awkward and requires forethought when using public restroom for a #2. In any case, thanks to the heat, have ordered another 4ART w/full sweat shield for the Slim's and a 10ART w/FSS for 24/7 & Sigma 40VE to share. It's not the perfect holster, but has a place in any holster collection for CC.

smittyM&P9c

Post by smittyM&P9c »

Another vote for Remora clipless holsters. I have one for my M&P9c and LCR and they have become my favorite option for summer carry. I actually prefer it over my Comptac Minotaur. Great product, great value!

Return to “Holsters & Accessories”