Suspended/Invalid Licence

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
jz75455
Posts in topic: 10

Suspended/Invalid Licence

Post by jz75455 »

I owe the State of TX $900 on a surcharge that I have been making payments on but have fallen behind. I now have a suspended driver license because of the surcharge.

Will that disqualify me form getting a CHL? I don't owe any tickets and I don't have any arrests other than the NO insurance that has been about 6 years.They are offering a CHL class at my college on April 25 and I want to know to avoid any embarrassment. :bigear:

JeepGuy79
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Suspended/Invalid Licence

Post by JeepGuy79 »

Not trying to be a jerk, but why don't you pay the state what you owe them before you jump into something else?

Topic author
jz75455

Post by jz75455 »

JeepGuy79 wrote:Not trying to be a jerk, but why don't you pay the state what you owe them before you jump into something else?
Well the CHL is more important to me right now and more affordable.

Since I got behind I can no longer make payments and TX wants the full $900 up front. Can't do that and eat. I've tried calling and begging for a payment plan but, they don't care.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

This is a new one for me, but I don't believe the DL surcharge is legally a tax. if not, then it shouldn't impact your eligibility for a CHL.

Chas.

Topic author
jz75455

Post by jz75455 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is a new one for me, but I don't believe the DL surcharge is legally a tax. if not, then it shouldn't impact your eligibility for a CHL.

Chas.
Sir,

Is there any way for me to find out? Do you have a number I can call? And thank you for time.

Topic author
jz75455

Post by jz75455 »

jz75455 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is a new one for me, but I don't believe the DL surcharge is legally a tax. if not, then it shouldn't impact your eligibility for a CHL.

Chas.
Sir,

Is there any way for me to find out? Do you have a number I can call? And thank you for time.

I just read your credentials and if you don't believe its a problem, then that's good enough for me. I am going to take the course and apply, I can keep you updated if you like?

Thank you once again. :cheers2:

Tamie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tamie »

Was there a crime that caused the surcharge? Being convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor is a no-no for 5 years.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

jz75455 wrote:
jz75455 wrote:

Chas.
Sir,

I just read your credentials and if you don't believe its a problem, then that's good enough for me. I am going to take the course and apply, I can keep you updated if you like?

Thank you once again. :cheers2:
I appreciate the confidence, but this is a new issue for me and I'm not at all sure. I'd call the DPS and ask them if an unpaid surcharge is going to cause a problem. (512) 424-7293 If they say "yes," let me know and we'll talk.

Chas.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Tamie wrote:Was there a crime that caused the surcharge? Being convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor is a no-no for 5 years.
Yeah, I don't understand what kind of surcharge could cause a DL to be suspended.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

C-dub wrote:
Tamie wrote:Was there a crime that caused the surcharge? Being convicted of a class A or B misdemeanor is a no-no for 5 years.
Yeah, I don't understand what kind of surcharge could cause a DL to be suspended.
Check this out for an explanation of surcharges on the DL.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/drp.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

So, the amount that is owed brings up the question of what the surcharge is for. No insurance is only $250. The larger amounts may be indicative of a surcharge for a violation, like multiple DWI's that would be a disqualifier in themselves.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Tbucher1218

Post by Tbucher1218 »

The $250 insurance surcharge is for three consecutive years, as my son found out. So it adds up if not paid every year. Than possibly penalties for non payment.
02/27/12 Online App
06/06/12 Plastic in Hand. 71 Days!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Tbucher1218 wrote:The $250 insurance surcharge is for three consecutive years, as my son found out. So it adds up if not paid every year. Than possibly penalties for non payment.
Ahh, that may 'splain it. :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

GeekDad

Post by GeekDad »

Tbucher1218 wrote:The $250 insurance surcharge is for three consecutive years, as my son found out. So it adds up if not paid every year. Than possibly penalties for non payment.
The surcharge is a rip off, it goes to the same "Non-Profit" company that handles all the Toll Cartels money... oh I mean NTTA.

Thank you Gov. Perry for giving my tax dollars to this fraudulent company to build highways that you intend me to pay for, furthermore then give them mafia like backing from the state if you do not pay the tolls its suddenly becomes a state issue, instead of a Civil issue as it should be like for any other company.

:mad5
I believe the Founding Fathers meant for the law to be understood by every man, so he/she could understand their rights and defend them. The convoluted laws of today have stripped us of our understanding and as such, our rights. CHL Holder Since 05/04/2012

Topic author
jz75455

Post by jz75455 »

Keith B wrote:
Ahh, that may 'splain it. :tiphat:
$250 every year for three years with penalties. This is after the $300 ticket for no insurance... Fair?

Return to “New to CHL?”