Door To Door Solicitor Today

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Warhammer
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Door To Door Solicitor Today

Post by Warhammer »

Three years ago, I got sick of the constant DtD pests ringing my bell and waking up my sleeping child. I put a sign on my door that reads like this:

NO SOLICITING
POST NO BILLS

This means NO: handbills, flyers, advertisements, pitching, campaigning, marketing, publicizing, proselytizing, preaching, witnessing, demonstrating, selling, fund-raising or promoting.
Violators will be prosecuted in accordance to Saginaw City Code: 1987, § 12-113; Ord. No. 91-10, § 4, 9-17-91 and Saginaw City Code: 1987, §§ 13-1, 13-2; Ord. No. 2004-17, § 1, 11-16-04

Since then, other than kids selling cookies for school, I have had exactly two DtD salesmen ring my bell. I simply informed tham that the sign was not there for its entertainment value and that I was calling the police immediately to report their violation. Both left the neighborhood immediately. (One was found and ticketed, the other must have gotten the heck out of Dodge.) I have also seen MANY flyer/door hanger guys, making the rounds of my neighborhood, walk up to my door and then quickly leave without attaching anything to my door.
"Broad-minded is just another way of saying a fellow is too lazy to form an opinion." - Rogers, Will

VMI77
Posts in topic: 6

Post by VMI77 »

Bart wrote:1. Put up a "NO SOLICITING" sign and video cameras.
2. DIsconnect the doorbell and rig the button to trigger bear spray.
3. Post the videos on youtube.

:evil2:

I've now got very visible cameras around the house and haven't had anyone but my kids and the UPS man knock on my door since they went up.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

drjoker wrote:Sheesh, guys, times are tough. Be a good "X" (insert your religion here, yes even atheism is a "religion") and buy some stuff from door to door salespersons. A lot of them are unemployed and just trying to make ends meet. Some are helping out a church or youth group. My fave are girl scout cookies. Second are the chocolate bars sold by inner city high school kids. I hate peanut brittle. If I see peanut brittle, I'll just give 'em a couple of bucks but ask them to please not give me any peanut brittle.
If I want something I know where to get it. Buying something I don't want to be nice is charity. Buying something I don't want is an extremely inefficient way to dispense charity. I'd rather donate $100 directly to a charity, or an individual, than buy a vacuum cleaner I don't want. And as far as the girl scouts go, I'm inundated at work with people selling for schools and scout troops. I'd rather support those I work with and know than strangers.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

speedsix
Posts in topic: 34

Post by speedsix »

:thumbs2: ...but you shore ain't seen no $100 vacuum cleaner since around 1966...try $2300+ now...and they don't clean any better than the old ones...

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by pbwalker »

speedsix wrote::thumbs2: ...but you shore ain't seen no $100 vacuum cleaner since around 1966...try $2300+ now...and they don't clean any better than the old ones...
And they aren't as good as they Dysons. Trust me...I got suckered in to buying one, sold it 2 years later, and got a Dyson.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

speedsix wrote::thumbs2: ...but you shore ain't seen no $100 vacuum cleaner since around 1966...try $2300+ now...and they don't clean any better than the old ones...
Well, I admit, I can't remember the last time I bought one --the wife bought our last one when I didn't get her one for Christmas ( "rlol" ). But I was thinking that's how much it SHOULD cost.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...now yer talkin'...I'd give for an old cloth-bagged Electrolux on rails...like I learned to vac with in 54...

Birdshot70
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Birdshot70 »

Blindref757 wrote:I have two 9mm, but didn't have them on body while sitting around the house. I think I'm going to get a 12 guage for the front door.
I think mounting a Barrett .50 above the front door and a laser sighted heat signature sighting system :reddevil would work well to deter solicitors...at least I would take a second to go over my options before ringing that doorbell.
"rlol" :smilelol5:

"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...a "mystery bucket" above the door with a rope leading through the wall into the house might do as well...

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

speedsix wrote:...a "mystery bucket" above the door with a rope leading through the wall into the house might do as well...
I like this.
NRA Life Member

Birdshot70

Post by Birdshot70 »

SewTexas wrote:I want a sign that says "I like my vacuum, I love my God, if you're over 18 no soliciting"
Maybe just a little tweak there...'if you're over 18 go away'.
Your friends will get the humor in it, everyone else will get the message...maybe.
:banghead:
"When in doubt, EMPTY the magazine." - A Marine

"...gun control is always a scheme of the powerful to deprive the powerless of the right to self-defense." -- Ann Coulter 04/18/2012

NRA Member
CHL holder
CHL Instructor

magillapd
Posts in topic: 4

Post by magillapd »

ah yes, the old vacuum sales guy...reminds me of this joke I heard....

A little old lady answered a knock on the door one day, only to be confronted by a well-dressed young man carrying a vacuum cleaner.

"Good morning," said the young man. "If I could take a couple minutes of your time, I would like to demonstrate the very latest in high-powered vacuum cleaners."

"Get Lost!" said the old lady. "I haven't got any money" and she tried to close the door. Quick as a flash, the young man wedged his foot in the door and pushed it wide open.

"Don't be too hasty!" he said. "Not until you have at least seen my demonstration." And with that, he emptied a bucket of horse manure all over her hallway carpet. "If this vacuum cleaner does not remove all traces of this horse manure from your carpet, Madam, I will personally eat the remainder."

"Well," she said, "I hope you've got a really good appetite, because the electricity was cut off this morning."

:biggrinjester:
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

If they're under 18 they're a little young to be soliciting.
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

thenick_ttu wrote:Seems a little overboard to call the police in that situation. Assume these two really were just out soliciting and trying to raise money for a trip, how are they supposed to know they need a permit?

I've done some door-to-door soliciting for my church and I didn't know needing a permit was even a possibility so if that had been me at your door today, you would have gotten me a ticket... thanks alot.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Door-to- ... 96106.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...kinda nails it, don't it...thank you , Beiruty!!!

discoqueen

Post by discoqueen »

speedsix beat me to it....
How many tools are in your toolbox?
www.DefensiveMindset.com

Return to “Never Again!!”