Example of Why We Should Carry at Home...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Example of Why We Should Carry at Home...

Post by speedsix »

...especially outside at night... http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/Man-Ki ... ers-031912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; not much info here...but if he or she had had a gun...they would have had a chance...detectives told reporters that the motive was robbery...

74novaman
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Example of Why We Should Carry at Home...

Post by 74novaman »

Yep, always carry or have one within reach.

Since I don't have kids yet, I'm lucky enough that I can just throw a revolver into the coffee table drawer, or set my glock onto the table.

Last night I needed to take the trash out. You can bet I picked up a gun before I went outside at 10pm. :fire
TANSTAAFL

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Purplehood »

74novaman wrote:Yep, always carry or have one within reach.

Since I don't have kids yet, I'm lucky enough that I can just throw a revolver into the coffee table drawer, or set my glock onto the table.

Last night I needed to take the trash out. You can bet I picked up a gun before I went outside at 10pm. :fire
I do that regardless of the time, Sir!
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Purplehood wrote:
74novaman wrote:Yep, always carry or have one within reach.

I do that regardless of the time, Sir!
Point taken. I do as well.....I guess my "awareness" is just a tad heightened when its dark out. :oops:
TANSTAAFL

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

It's sad that we all need to strap up before going to take the trash out but you can bet I do the same!
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

TexasAggie09 wrote:It's sad that we all need to strap up before going to take the trash out but you can bet I do the same!
<pedantic>I don't "need" to because I live in a generally safe area, but I do usually choose to in case I'm wrong about that whole not needing bit.</pedantic>
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Topic author
speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...at least a .380...thanks to the Guvnuh, hungry coyotes regularly come to town to explore our garbage...you might get lucky and have a gun named after you!!!

mommagamber

Post by mommagamber »

We always carry at home and have been grateful a couple of times. We have lots of acreage and a couple of stray dogs that have become aggressive. I had one come running at me growling and barking the other day. Hubby fired a shot at it and it took off (it was lucky this time) Don't chase and growl at me on my property.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

Topic author
speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I won't...I promise!!! great example... :thumbs2:

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasGal »

I'm out at my horse barn late at night very regularly. You bet I am armed every time. It is well lit right at my barn. One night as I filled up the water barrels, I was thinking I might just be silly always being armed here in my quiet neighborhood. About then, I heard the slightest cough and was alerted to a man standing in deep shadow down by the road. I watched as he put out a cigarette. I could not make him out, but I could just see the fire as it hit the ground and was stamped out. I went indoors. The next morning, I went to that spot and found where the grass showed he had stood there quite some time. I can think of no reason other than he was watching me go about my tasks feeding horses. After that, I did not ever second guess my reasons for carrying on my own property. He was only about 50 feet from me when I was cleaning one of the pens earlier and I was unaware of him. Now, I do not let down my guard.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

TexasGal wrote:I'm out at my horse barn late at night very regularly. You bet I am armed every time. It is well lit right at my barn. One night as I filled up the water barrels, I was thinking I might just be silly always being armed here in my quiet neighborhood. About then, I heard the slightest cough and was alerted to a man standing in deep shadow down by the road. I watched as he put out a cigarette. I could not make him out, but I could just see the fire as it hit the ground and was stamped out. I went indoors. The next morning, I went to that spot and found where the grass showed he had stood there quite some time. I can think of no reason other than he was watching me go about my tasks feeding horses. After that, I did not ever second guess my reasons for carrying on my own property. He was only about 50 feet from me when I was cleaning one of the pens earlier and I was unaware of him. Now, I do not let down my guard.
Infrared-capable cameras are not particularly expensive anymore... Amazon.com has several color/night-vision cameras for under $100. You're not gonna win any filmography awards with them, but they'll show you if anyone's out in the yard. Dunno how much the "base stations" cost, but I don't think they're too bad either.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Dave2 wrote:
TexasGal wrote:I'm out at my horse barn late at night very regularly. You bet I am armed every time. It is well lit right at my barn. One night as I filled up the water barrels, I was thinking I might just be silly always being armed here in my quiet neighborhood. About then, I heard the slightest cough and was alerted to a man standing in deep shadow down by the road. I watched as he put out a cigarette. I could not make him out, but I could just see the fire as it hit the ground and was stamped out. I went indoors. The next morning, I went to that spot and found where the grass showed he had stood there quite some time. I can think of no reason other than he was watching me go about my tasks feeding horses. After that, I did not ever second guess my reasons for carrying on my own property. He was only about 50 feet from me when I was cleaning one of the pens earlier and I was unaware of him. Now, I do not let down my guard.
Infrared-capable cameras are not particularly expensive anymore... Amazon.com has several color/night-vision cameras for under $100. You're not gonna win any filmography awards with them, but they'll show you if anyone's out in the yard. Dunno how much the "base stations" cost, but I don't think they're too bad either.
The expensive ones are the real thermal imagine thing. We are talking $10,000+
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...maybe some switchable lighting needs to be installed...if on your property, motion-detector-activated...if a rented barn, that you could switch on before entering that area...that's a serious situation...be wide awake and have a powerful light...as well as your gun...and maybe a dog...only an evil mind would lurk in the shadows like that...

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I usually disarm when I walk in the house, but I always set the gun where it is in easy reach...plus there are others in easy reach scattered around the house. I don't go outside at night without one, but I am less less likely to do so during the day. Rarely is there ever anybody on my street who doesn't belong there. That said, I never leave home without it. Not ever.

BTW, "less likely" means I still do most of the time, but not every single time.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

speedsix wrote:....only an evil mind would lurk in the shadows like that...
Yep, and most of what he was pondering would chill our blood . . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”