Will a Drug Paraphernalia Charge Prevent me from Renewal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmra
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Will a Drug Paraphernalia Charge Prevent me from Renewal

Post by jmra »

Post deleted - censored by my wife
Last edited by jmra on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

I just learned something. I did not realize anyone was still getting arrested for small amounts of marijuana or especially paraphanalia.

Madbull

Post by Madbull »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I just learned something. I did not realize anyone was still getting arrested for small amounts of marijuana or especially paraphanalia.
Our guys tend to treat those like Class C traffic warrants that show up. They shake their finger at you, say "I have your current address, get this taken care of in the next month or else", and that is that. Unless the person has an attitude that needs adjusting. In that case, they'll transport on a single Class C. :biggrinjester:
Mailbox to Mailbox - 32 Days

03Lightningrocks

BTW... it was pretty funny he called you guys geniuses. Hahaha... he obviously doesn't realize there are no geniuses on this forum. Just a bunch of opinionated hard cases...LOL...J/K. Don't get all hurt. :biggrinjester:

For real though... O.P. The guys gave you some great advice. I had to go to the court house in Dallas and get two court records for attempted murder and aggravated assualt with a deadly weapon. It was self defense but they wanted proof it was "no-billed". It only took about thirty minutes to an hour and that included parking in Dallas! It turned out to be easier than I thought it would be.

03Lightningrocks

Madbull wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:I just learned something. I did not realize anyone was still getting arrested for small amounts of marijuana or especially paraphanalia.
Our guys tend to treat those like Class C traffic warrants that show up. They shake their finger at you, say "I have your current address, get this taken care of in the next month or else", and that is that. Unless the person has an attitude that needs adjusting. In that case, they'll transport on a single Class C. :biggrinjester:
Not that I would drive around town taking bong hits, but I am 51 years old and I bet they would just laugh and tell me to get home. Back in my youth, we were usually pretty cautious about what we did in public. Those things were taken more seriously back then. These days I prefer a good single malt scotch. :mrgreen:

Oh well... thanks for the info. it will come in handy if I decide to revert back to my "hippy" days...LOL. Note to self... don't cop an attitude when busted with illegal drugs... :mrgreen:

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

MaxInDFW wrote:Wow, you guys are geniuses! Thanks for all of the outstanding informative advice! lol
I have some outstanding, and informative advice. Don't come here and type or try to type abbreviated profanity. Don't put yourself in situations where probable cause for arrest could be constructed for a drug offense. I don't know the specifics, but if it wasn't outright dropped and/or expunged, than there was some merit to the charges...you might not like, or think its not your fault, but somewhere along the line, you made a decision that lead to those charges. I suggest a lifestyle or social circle change. If you do smoke weed or do drugs, I don't want you to be able to carry gun wherever you go. If you don't, stop hanging out with people that do.

And lastly, don't come here and be sarcastic and mouthy because we couldn't give you free legal counsel to your liking when your info consisted of "I got a bull drug charge, but now it's paraphernalia, what should I do." I know the answer to your question, and I'm not telling you because I would prefer you do some legwork and track down the answer yourself by READING. Had you asked nicely and behaved, and I and many others, would've given you all you ask and more.

:tiphat:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

BillT
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BillT »

When someone becomes a "Senior Member" are they ordained? Crowned? Sworn in? Seated on the Bench?
Apparently in writing the post the OP made a newby mistake and used a two letter abbreviation for cow manure. He didn't realize his mistake(violation) at the time but it was unintentional. However, that has set the tone for a number of Senior members to offer unsolicited morale advice and judgment of the OP that was never asked. To say someone has not ever been convicted of something unless they were guilty is pure ignorance, especially here in Texas. In the early 70's, myself and 3 friends where "shaken down" by a DPS trooper and a County Judge in West Texas. I was not arrested and I committed no crime, but it emptied my wallet. It was all bogus and illegal but it happened. The OP offered no details of the alleged crime other than to say it was not legitimate. He did not solicit advice related to his activities or circle of friends. I will assume he is a law abiding citizen unless I know otherwise and I don't. I will leave judgement to God. Maybe Senior Members should to! Let's stick to the topic and question asked...

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

BillT wrote:When someone becomes a "Senior Member" are they ordained? Crowned? Sworn in? Seated on the Bench?
Apparently in writing the post the OP made a newby mistake and used a two letter abbreviation for cow manure. He didn't realize his mistake(violation) at the time but it was unintentional. However, that has set the tone for a number of Senior members to offer unsolicited morale advice and judgment of the OP that was never asked. To say someone has not ever been convicted of something unless they were guilty is pure ignorance, especially here in Texas. In the early 70's, myself and 3 friends where "shaken down" by a DPS trooper and a County Judge in West Texas. I was not arrested and I committed no crime, but it emptied my wallet. It was all bogus and illegal but it happened. The OP offered no details of the alleged crime other than to say it was not legitimate. He did not solicit advice related to his activities or circle of friends. I will assume he is a law abiding citizen unless I know otherwise and I don't. I will leave judgement to God. Maybe Senior Members should to! Let's stick to the topic and question asked...
From reviewing the first page, the first people to respond did indeed stick to the subject matter and try to answer the OPs questions.

When he came back with a sarcastic "yall are geniuses", people started offering a little unsolicited advice.

Newbies shouldn't be, and for the most part aren't, afraid to ask questions here. But a little politeness gets a member, senior or otherwise, a lot farther than sarcasm does when it comes to getting your questions answered. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

BillT wrote:When someone becomes a "Senior Member" are they ordained? Crowned? Sworn in? Seated on the Bench?
No, it automatically happens after a number of posts, but a ceremony or something would be cool :mrgreen:

IMO, and I'm pretty sure the admin and moderators would agree, people should read the rules before posting. I've made my share of mistakes, but when brought to my attention, I immediately apologized and made sure I never made those mistakes again. It seems like the OP doesn't have the same sense of humility. There are a number of "one post wonders" that post something controversial, don't offer details, and either get argumentative/defensive or never reply. There are a lot of people trying to discredit CHL holders because it doesn't fit with their personal beliefs. We try to make sure they don't succeed.

BillT
Banned

Post by BillT »

Thomas wrote:
No, it automatically happens after a number of posts, but a ceremony or something would be cool :mrgreen:

IMO, and I'm pretty sure the admin and moderators would agree, people should read the rules before posting. I've made my share of mistakes, but when brought to my attention, I immediately apologized and made sure I never made those mistakes again. It seems like the OP doesn't have the same sense of humility. There are a number of "one post wonders" that post something controversial, don't offer details, and either get argumentative/defensive or never reply. There are a lot of people trying to discredit CHL holders because it doesn't fit with their personal beliefs. We try to make sure they don't succeed.
I think people should lead by example. The OP messed up. All the posters who decided to pass judgement and suggest moral changes also messed up. As I said, no one knows the details. To pass judgement on someone and to suggest moral changes because they were upset and sarcastic is retaliation and is putting yourself at the same level. I don't think that is a right that comes with being a Senior Member nor is it very mature. Can a moderator weigh in? I'm curious if this is the intent of this forum or is off topic irrelevant moral lectures ok if a poster thinks someone deserves it?

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

You get a CHL badge, tiara and a sash...I would wear it, but it clashes with my shoes.... :biggrinjester:

couzin

Post by couzin »

BillT wrote:...To pass judgement on someone and to suggest moral changes because they were upset and sarcastic is retaliation and is putting yourself at the same level. I don't think that is a right that comes with being a Senior Member nor is it very mature...
Can't really speak to passing 'judgment' by anyone else - but I have not done so. My suggestion that some changes are in order still stands however. The crux is this - carrying a deadly weapon IS a moral responsibility. Drinking, being involved with drugs, and other reckless behavior - while surely true it is directly on the person doing the acts - nontheless it impacts the rest of us. It is not sanctimony - it simply notice of behavior that may end up in a train wreck. The OP got some advice - I'm guessing the advice was not quite what they were seeking. Bottom line - if you mess up, own it - recognize the behavior that got you there - and don't get all bent because of advice sought isn't quite what you wanted to hear! An open forum is going to get a range of responses - from 'you've messed up bigtime' to 'a little dope shouldn't be a problem'. Gleen what you can here.
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

:iagree:
BillT wrote:... I don't think that is a right that comes with being a Senior Member nor is it very mature...
Maturity is what gives the "right" to pass on wise advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

BillT wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I think people should lead by example. The OP messed up. All the posters who decided to pass judgement and suggest moral changes also messed up. As I said, no one knows the details. To pass judgement on someone and to suggest moral changes because they were upset and sarcastic is retaliation and is putting yourself at the same level. I don't think that is a right that comes with being a Senior Member nor is it very mature. Can a moderator weigh in? I'm curious if this is the intent of this forum or is off topic irrelevant moral lectures ok if a poster thinks someone deserves it?
Per your request I've reviewed the entire thread.

From my reading, it started with an unusual question that contained a rule violation which could only have occurred if the OP had either neglected to read the rule set that every forum has, or he chose to deliberately violate one of them. In either case, that was caught and modified by a forum filter to prevent offense to our members, who are very careful and sensitive about such things - that's why we have the rules we do.

The wording change caused confusion because the meaning of the way it came out was not immediately obvious to some of our members. Rather than respond without fully understanding the question, a clarification was requested. Meantime, others chimed in with likely interpretations that were acknowledged as correct by the OP's sarcastic and inappropriate "genius" post.

That and other conduct by the OP led to the decision by some very knowledgeable long time members who work with these situations every day to withhold information that would have helped the OP resolve his question with much less effort. They are fully within their rights to do so, and the OP will now have to do work on his own or pay an attorney to learn what they would happily have told him if only he had remembered he was asking for that which they had no obligation to give and shown the respect appropriate to that position.

I draw no conclusions about the OP's legal situation from his post, because as a practical matter lawyers sometimes recommend a negotiated adjudication like the one described as the least painful and expensive way out of a difficult situation when innocence may be hard to prove, whether factually true or not.

I also do not see any basis accusing the members who took the time to respond of inappropriately sitting in judgment on the OP. When one requests advice from the members of an internet forum, he is likely to get it. That advice sometimes includes some he may not like, especially if he has already heard and ignored that same advice before the incident he is inquiring about. I see the respectfully made suggestions about reviewing choices in lifestyles and friends as both obvious and entirely appropriate under the circumstances.

The information provided by the OP was scanty, but there was enough to create the strong impression that he found himself in trouble when he violated the basic rule of personal risk management: Don't do stupid things with stupid people in stupid places at stupid times. Even being close to these people and places often leads to unforeseen events and involvement that brings heartache or worse. The case in point is simply another example in a long list that extends from the distant past and will continue into the foreseeable future.

A new member is off to a shaky start. If he is truly interested in learning about responsible exercise of his second amendment rights and has the humility to give full consideration to the thoughts of others, he'll find a wealth of knowledge and helpful and compassionate support here. If he already knows everything he wants to and is offended when presented with advice he has asked for, this may not be the place where he'll find happiness and fulfillment.

Time will tell.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

A-R

Post by A-R »

Excalibur, as usual

:clapping:

:tiphat:

To OP and BillT, please don't take offense. This forum prides itself on being free of profanity and other non G/PG subject matter. When I first joined I let slip a few things not allowed (in person I can easily skip into "locker room vocabulary"), and it took some gentle and a few firm reminders to set me straight. I am better for it and you will be too if you just show some humility and willingness to learn and play nice with others. The folks on this forum are VERY experienced on the subject matter and a phenomenal resource to all gun- related topics. If they seem to pass judgment on drug/alcohol/ wrong crowd type matters, this too is from years of experience, much of it in legal and law enforcement areas of expertise. I suggest you take it in stride, learn from it, and welcome the valuable insights.

I have and am grateful for all the conscientious members of this forum and their mature, well-reasoned, and poignant advice and counsel.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”