CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
RSJ
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Used CHL as a form of ID?

Post by RSJ »

CrimsonSoul wrote:
papajohn1964 wrote:I lost my drivers license last year and when I went to DPS to get a new one the lady would not accept my CHL as ID. I had to show her my Social Security card, you know the one with no picture on it.... :roll:
It's funny how the DPS won't accept a license issued by... the DPS
How ridiculous!
NRA Member

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 4

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

RSJ wrote:A situation got me wondering if any of this forum's members have used a CHL as an identification?

I keep my TX CHL on top of my DL to remind myself if stopped while driving to remember first and foremost to inform the officer.

I don't frequent bars or drink very often, but a few weeks ago I was with a friend when we were ID'ed (Note: I was NOT carrying) and mistakenly showed my top "ID".
I certainly got a weird look and a "oh, never seen one of those". I felt a little uncomfortable, thinking that the waitress must be wondering if I was drinking and carrying... :shock:

I practice the "concealed means concealed" mentality (again, I was NOT carrying, but same idea of keeping my CHL on the hush) and would rather NOT use it as an ID.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience?
Not intentionally, but I have accidentally grabbed it from my wallet thinking it was my DL. Best I can remember, I have always caught myself before handing it over. I have two reasons for not wanting to show it to people asking for ID. One... I don't want to advertise I am carrying a weapon... Two... I don't want to advertise I am carrying a weapon. ;-)

Dave2
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dave2 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:Not intentionally, but I have accidentally grabbed it from my wallet thinking it was my DL. Best I can remember, I have always caught myself before handing it over. I have two reasons for not wanting to show it to people asking for ID. One... I don't want to advertise I am carrying a weapon... Two... I don't want to advertise I am carrying a weapon. ;-)
What's the third reason?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

03Lightningrocks

Dave2 wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:Not intentionally, but I have accidentally grabbed it from my wallet thinking it was my DL. Best I can remember, I have always caught myself before handing it over. I have two reasons for not wanting to show it to people asking for ID. One... I don't want to advertise I am carrying a weapon... Two... I don't want to advertise I am carrying a weapon. ;-)
What's the third reason?
You guessed it... I don't want to advertise that I am carrying a weapon. :mrgreen:

tommyg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tommyg »

I took some legal papers into a bank to get them notorized I pulled
out my Driver license and Chl both and gave both to the bank notary
no problem. Leases notorized and out the door in a few minutes
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

Zinho

Post by Zinho »

Never came to mind to use it as a second form of ID thanks for the tip guys!! :thewave

steve817

Post by steve817 »

I was at Blockbuster the other day and handed them mine by accident. The girl behind the counter asked if a had a drivers license because she didn't know what to do with that one. We both laughed about it and as the conversation went on she said she gets them all the time. I then showed her that a persons drivers license number is also on the CHL and she said "Oh! So we can accept them"
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

mikeloc

Post by mikeloc »

DPS has advised instructors to tell their students to not use the CHL for ID. When you show your CHL to an officer you must also show your ID (driver's license or state issued ID card). Some people still use their CHL for ID so I'm just passing on information that DPS as recommended several times at instructor renewal classes.

Mike

03Lightningrocks

mikeloc wrote:DPS has advised instructors to tell their students to not use the CHL for ID. When you show your CHL to an officer you must also show your ID (driver's license or state issued ID card). Some people still use their CHL for ID so I'm just passing on information that DPS as recommended several times at instructor renewal classes.

Mike
:tiphat: Thanks for the info. I assume it was for the reasons in the second sentence of your post? They were basicly saying the CHL didn't count as ID?

Drjfiremedic

Post by Drjfiremedic »

It is a valid and legal state ID card. I have used mine as 2nd identification several times with no issues at all. I understand and follow concealed means concealed, however that applys to my weapon, not a state owned/issued ID.

Madbull

Post by Madbull »

steve817 wrote:I was at Blockbuster the other day......

They still have those? :eek6 Sorry, we now return you to this thread.
Mailbox to Mailbox - 32 Days

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

... http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlice ... ements.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...here's Texas' three types of ID listed... if they'd just force banks to go by them, we'd know where we stand...I've had tellers accept my CHL, refuse my Texas ID, because they wanted two different sources...and accept my Soc Sec card, which is not supposed to be accepted for ID by anyone, anywhere...if it "looks official"...some of them will take it...

steve817

Post by steve817 »

Madbull wrote:
steve817 wrote:I was at Blockbuster the other day......

They still have those? :eek6 Sorry, we now return you to this thread.
They haven't completely folded yet. Just bought a Blu Ray player and had to test drive it.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

CEOofEVIL

Post by CEOofEVIL »

I've accidentally shown mine before. I was in a liquor store buying some tasty beer and accidentally handed my CHL to the cashier. After too long of a pause I looked at her and she just said "sorry, I dont get these often" then smiled and handed it back to me. I walked out with my six pack pretty embarrassed, but hey, it worked! At least I didnt hand it to the TSA guys at the airport, I'm sure that would have been fun! ;-)

I don't intentionally use it as an ID though, and I havent been in a situation where I've needed two ID's in a pretty long time.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Once on purpose (while not carrying) at a Mavericks game. My DL was expired and I had the paper temporary DL. My cashier was a trainee and asked his manager, who said that they couldn't accept it to purchase alcohol. I handed my CHL to the manager, he looked at it and said, "State issued picture ID with a birthday. . . looks good to me" and poured my frothy beverage.

A couple of times inadvertently where I'd put them back in my wallet in the wrong order. I had one grocery store clerk react humorously. He said, "Alright, sir, I can accept your credit card, I'll also hand this back to you in a respectful way and make sure I don't smash your bread." :mrgreen:
Native Texian

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”