Houston Rodeo grounds?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kanders
Posts in topic: 2

Houston Rodeo grounds?

Post by kanders »

Hey, does anyone know if we're allowed to carry on the grounds outdoors where the BBQ cookoff tents and carnival rides are at the rodeo? I'm riding the train to go to the BBQ thing and I don't want to find out that I can't carry when I get to the gate!

Thanks,
Kevin

tomneal
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tomneal »

I am not a lawyer or a CHL Instructor and I am writing this from memory.

The Astro Dome complex is owned by the County. After SB501 went into effect 9/1/2005 (or so), no Texas Governmental agency can post.

The carnival is only open for the rodeo and that's not long enough to post.

The rodeo could be construed as a Professional Sporting Event.

The grounds are not a premise.

I have heard that much alcohol is consumed at the BBQ cook-off.

I would not carry if I were planning to either attend the actual rodeo or consume alcohol.
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Popshot

Post by Popshot »

Concealed carry should not be barred for most of the events. However, there are some concerns:

As cited in the second post, the Rodeo could be considered a professional sporting event. If this assumption were true, then entry into the building with the Rodeo is prohibited.

Someone with concealed carry entering one of the commmittemen's bars is prohibited.
Gun control = hitting where you aim

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I think you would have a hard time arguing the rodeo is not a professional sporting event. It is sanctioned by, and the cowboys are members of, the PRCA which stands for Professional Rodeo Cowboys Assoc. That pretty much handles the professional part of the question.

And rodeo, by law, is the official sport of Texas. That pretty much ends the sporting event question.

Don't carry in the rodeo itself. The grounds and other shows are a different question.
Steve Rothstein

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

The rodeo may very well be a pro sporting event, but doesn't it seem a bit un-Texan to NOT bring your gun to the rodeo?

What have we become!?! :cryin
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
kanders
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kanders »

Well, since no one really answered the question, I thought I'd close the loop on this. There was no posting at the gate to the cookoff area, and it appeared that CC was allowed. I did not carry however, since I wasn't sure; plus I may have had a drink or two ;-)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”