CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: True TABC signage

Post by Keith B »

JustMe wrote:
Keith B wrote:
JustMe wrote:But----if a place has an incorrect red 51% sign up and you carry anyway-wouldn't you be just as "guilty" for going against their sign? You don't know what kind of license they have and the only way you have to determine is the sign.
I answered in my post above. The sign does not make it off limits. It is the license that does. And if you don't want to check the database, the license is to be posted in the business where it is visible and you can see if it says SIGN=RED or SIGN=BLUE
I understand that--but if I walk into a restaurant and see a red sign, even tho I THINK that I'm Sure it is incorrect--and don't have access to the database right that minute----See why having the incorrect sign can be confusing!!!
Sure the wrong sign is confusing. But if unsure if the 51% is incorrect, then just obey the sign. If you are adamant about patronizing the place, then either go back to the car, disarm and then go back in. At that point you will be legal and can go look at their liquor license and validate if they are SIGN=RED (51%) or SIGN=BLUE (not 51% and legal to carry.)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Terlingueno
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Terlingueno »

There are three establishments in my area that have 51% signs up and their TABC license says Blue. So what happens if I carry in these establishments and somehow, someone notices? I would really like to see the establishments have the proper signage, what is the correct method of accomplishing this?

G Wagner

Post by G Wagner »

My understanding is that the liquor license must be "In a Prominent" place, and therefore, the color and 51% (if applicable) would be obvious. Also, if one was arrested, it would be best if the arresting officer "observes" the license and indicates in the report the liquor license number, and the color/percentage indicated.

Any views?

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by steveincowtown »

Terlingueno wrote:There are three establishments in my area that have 51% signs up and their TABC license says Blue. So what happens if I carry in these establishments and somehow, someone notices? I would really like to see the establishments have the proper signage, what is the correct method of accomplishing this?

I see nothing wrong with telling the TABC that wrong signage is up...if you do it the right way.

"I was at bar xyz and they seem to have alot of signs up. Could you check and make sure they have what they need posted? It is sooo confusing!"

I find it hard to beleive any TABC agen or bar owner would see this as anything more than a confused citizen. No mention of guns, chl, etc....
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

G Wagner wrote:My understanding is that the liquor license must be "In a Prominent" place, and therefore, the color and 51% (if applicable) would be obvious. Also, if one was arrested, it would be best if the arresting officer "observes" the license and indicates in the report the liquor license number, and the color/percentage indicated.

Any views?
The license must be in view, but it may be in a location that you cannot see easily to read it. The law does not say that you can ask to see it more clearly, and if you ask about it you could get some argument from the management on duty. The only penalty I am aware of is if they attempt to block a peace officer from reading it.

And I wanted to clarify that the color of the license has nothing to do with guns. TABC issues different color licenses for different classes, such as beer or liquor. To verify what the gun sign should be, you need to read the wording on the license that says sign = red or sign = blue.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”