Yuck... Mossberg 464 30-30 rifle

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Yuck... Mossberg 464 30-30 rifle

Post by JJVP »

AndyC wrote:Was someone at Mossberg inspired by "Cowboys and Aliens" or something? :shock:

That's what you get when you marry an AR-15 and a lever action rifle. Ugly, but pretty at the same time.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

fishman

Post by fishman »

JJVP wrote:
AndyC wrote:Was someone at Mossberg inspired by "Cowboys and Aliens" or something? :shock:

That's what you get when you marry an AR-15 and a lever action rifle. Ugly, but pretty at the same time.
Yea, :iagree: Pretty ugly. :!:
IANAL

denwego

Post by denwego »

OldCannon wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Different strokes for different folks. Let the market decide.
Odd as it might seem, I don't think the 464 is targeted at American markets. Seems like something that would sell in Australia though, where semi-autos are pretty much banned.
Exactly what I thought when I saw it. It's like how lever-action shotguns have seen a huge surge in Australia ever since pump-actions were all but banned.

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

It looks like it snapped in two and was repaired with parts from the Home Depot plumbing department in a pinch.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

WSimons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WSimons »

I can respect a synthetic levergun. I prefer wood, but if you want something lighter and more weather-resistant, fine...
I can appreciate wanting an adjustable stock, too, even.
But covering the forend with rails and putting an M4 stock on a piece of PVC? Ugh.
Up until 45 seconds ago, the ugliest levergun I saw was a .45-70 that was coated in Rhino Liner and had an EOTech holo sight mounted on it, but this one takes the ugly cake.

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

While ugly, I can see a niche for it. Some may not want a semi, but want a rifle for defensive use. Some may want more than a .223, but not the expense of an AR or the extra work of setting up an AK with a collapsable stock and rails.

If you want a 30-30 levergun for say home defense or hog hunting, this would give you all the things that make the AR platform so popular. Adjustable stock so it will fit anyone in the house. Easy mounting of optics, especially the red dots. Easy mounting of a light or laser. You could achieve this with a "classic" wood stocked variety (minus the stock) but not easily. I've looked. Not a lot out there to add a light. Haven't seen anything for a laser. Red dot can be done fairly easy, but you're still looking at extra expense to get the picatinny rail.
Texas CHL Instructor

WSimons
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WSimons »

I see your point; make no mistake there; I'm not trying to invalidate your statement, in fact I agree with it.
Buuuuuuuut.
The MSRP on Mossberg's site for the 464 chambered in .22 with wood furniture is $468...
At that price point you can do a WHOLE lot better than a .30-30 levergun, and with a lot less ugly.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

The 464 SPX would go well with the Stoeger Double Defense.

Now we need a Single Action with the treatment, and a sythetic-stocked Picatinny'ed buffalo gun to boot.
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

threoh8 wrote:The 464 SPX would go well with the Stoeger Double Defense.

Now we need a Single Action with the treatment, and a sythetic-stocked Picatinny'ed buffalo gun to boot.
The more I think about it, the more I believe that these were created with certain markets in mind, and those markets are probably not in or near the State of Texas...

apostate

Post by apostate »

threoh8 wrote:Now we need a Single Action with the treatment
;-)

Or actually on the market:

And then there's the Ruger Old Army, a modern stainless steel cap & ball black powder revolver.

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

denwego wrote:
OldCannon wrote:
Carry-a-Kimber wrote:Different strokes for different folks. Let the market decide.
Odd as it might seem, I don't think the 464 is targeted at American markets. Seems like something that would sell in Australia though, where semi-autos are pretty much banned.
Exactly what I thought when I saw it. It's like how lever-action shotguns have seen a huge surge in Australia ever since pump-actions were all but banned.
Fair dinkum mate!

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

Why do revolvers still sell? They work no matter what ammo is used. You don't have the mess with the gas system of a lever action if you use a shotshell as the first round. It WILL cycle.

With an AR if a round doesn't fire, what's it take to eject that & cycle another round? With a lever action you just cycle the lever like you normally would.
With an AR can you keep reloading between shots? You can with a lever action.

Each gun has its place.

Tallinthesaddle

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

Thought that was in Cowboys and Aliens. LOL

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

AdioSS wrote:With an AR can you keep reloading between shots? You can with a lever action.
I think you can do that with any non-revolver, removable-magazine gun that doesn't have a mag safety. :razz:

I agree with your general point, though.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

fishman wrote:
JJVP wrote:

Yea, :iagree: Pretty ugly. :!:
+1

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”