Rudy's BBQ is now posted (Updated: No longer posted)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

HankB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Rudy's BBQ is now posted

Post by HankB »

Rudy's is OK if you know what to get - their "extra moist" brisket is very fatty, and their sausage varies A LOT. Lean brisket and sides are pretty good, as is their "sause" if you like the peppery taste. Glad to hear they backed off the PC30.06 posting.
chasfm11 wrote:According to Wikepedia, the corporate offices are located in Lakeway, TX. So it just might be another Austin area Libera,l anti-gun organization. It is privately owned.
There may be some liberals around, but there are conservative gun owners in Lakeway - trust me on this. ;-)

For one thing, there's a local chapter of Second Amendment Sisters in Lakeway - I've seen a Lexus with a magnetic sign to that effect several times, and I think that at least once they've been in the 4th of July parade.

Here's a story from another forum about 10 years ago that you may find amusing:
I just wanted to pass along a story which was told to me the other evening. I was speaking with one of the board members for SAS (Second Amendment Sisters) the other evening, she told about an incident she'd had. Let me preface this by describing this person, she immediately strikes you as a sweet little grandmother, not as a "pistol-packin' mama", and is an extremely fun person to talk to. Anyhow, some of the other board members were down here visiting, and they decided they wanted to go to the range. On the way back, they were stopped for speeding in Lakeway. Of course, in TX, the first thing a CHL holder is required to tell the officer is that they are carrying a firearm. The officer was ok, until he asked where the pistol was. She pointed out that there was 1 in her purse, 1 in the console, and 1 in the glove compartment. Ok, no problem so far.... Then the little old lady in the passenger seat speaks up "Oh, and I've got 2 guns with me as well." The officer probably scratched his head.... Then from the back seat, "And officer, we've got 4 more guns back here." Then, after being told of the approx 2000 rounds of ammo in the trunk, the officer decided he didn't want to hear anything else, and went back to his cruiser to run the standard checks. When he walks back to the car, writing in his book, one of the other ladies asks him not to give the driver a ticket. The officer laughed and said that he would only give her a warning, because they had definitely just made his day.

I asked her if she had seen that officer since then, and she said she still sees him occasionally on patrol, and he just smiles and waves..... and probably swears to never pull her car over again
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

papasan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Rudy's BBQ is now posted (Updated: No longer posted)

Post by papasan »

Have not been to Rudy's in Waco, Tx this week but if they have the 30.06 sign it is the end of a relationship. :txflag:

DocV
Posts in topic: 3

Post by DocV »

papasan wrote:Have not been to Rudy's in Waco, Tx this week but if they have the 30.06 sign it is the end of a relationship. :txflag:
If the Waco Rudy's has a 30.06 (It won't) head over to Vitek's on 1600 Speight and grab a gut pack.

Wienerdogtroy

Post by Wienerdogtroy »

Ruark wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:According to Wikepedia, the corporate offices are located in Lakeway, TX.
That explains everything. Lakeway is a cesspool of wealthy, flipwristed, politically correct ex-Californians.
Not all of them, but some indeed. :cheers2:

apostate
Posts in topic: 4

Post by apostate »

Keith B wrote:
apostate wrote:
Keith B wrote:I consider myself a BBQ coni-sewer as I grew up close to Memphis and along the Mississippi River where some of the best 'que in the country comes from. And, a family friend owns the biggest commercial BBQ pit building businesses in the country, Ole Hickory Pits. So, I got spoiled on really great BBQ ribs and pulled pork.
I'm going to Memphis next month for Rangemaster's conference. What bbq restaurants would you suggest for pulled pork?
For pulled pork either Central BBQ on Central Ave. or Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ on 3rd st. If you get a pulled pork sandwich, make sure it's Memphis style with the slaw on top. :drool: :thumbs2:

Most places have pretty good ribs. I like Charlie Vergo's best, but Central or Neely's are good.
Thanks. I'm not a fan of ribs but enjoyed the pulled pork sammiches I had around RTP. It'll be interesting to see and taste the regional differences. Is the slaw in Memphis vinegar-based or mayo? And do they serve hushpuppies? :drool:

I really enjoyed the shrimp & grits in the Carolinas as well, although that's not a dish I would order too far from the coast. ;-)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

apostate wrote:Thanks. I'm not a fan of ribs but enjoyed the pulled pork sammiches I had around RTP. It'll be interesting to see and taste the regional differences. Is the slaw in Memphis vinegar-based or mayo And do they serve hushpuppies? ? :drool: .

Yes, it's both and has mustard in it also. It is not a real wet slaw usually.

No hush puppies that I remember at Central, but they do have homemade potato chips and pork rinds. :drool: Don't think Jim Neely's has them either.

If you want hush puppies, there are LOTS of catfish restaurants along the Mississippi River too. Not real familiar with them as much since we could always get great catfish close to where we lived and didn't eat it when in Memphis.

A couple of words of caution about Memphis in general though, be careful where you go. Memphis has some really rough gang areas. I know an area with a really popular mall we frequented in in the 80's has gotten super bad. They actually tore down the mall due to gangs in the area. See this thread http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Best to rely on the locals to tell you where to steer clear of.

EDIT TO ADD: Also make sure you read http://handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Their signs are pretty liberal and about any sign with words other than just the gun buster sign alone will more than likely be valid. And, when the law was being changed to allow carry in restaurants that sold ANY amount of alcohol, there was a big drive by a restaurant owner in Memphis to get all of the other owners to post signs. My understanding is he was pretty successful and a many are posted. Not sure where, but just be on the lookout.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

I don't know about Rudy's. We tried it once and it wasn't up to my standards. I grew up in New Braunfels eating at Krause's a long time ago, and remember it with enthusiasm to this day.

I was back for the Longhorn Alumni Band Day last October and the Longhorn Band, and Alumni Band, catered lunch from a place called Pok-E-Jo's or something like that, and it was darn good, considering they fed almost 1,000 band members in a few hours right before the game. It was most excellent and I look forward to finding them when I get back there.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

danpaw

Post by danpaw »

We went to Rudys in Webster last night and it was pretty good. There was an unlicenced possession sign on the front but that was it.

DFWTT

Post by DFWTT »

Admittedly after only reading the first 3 pages of this topic...The Rudy's in Arlington wasn't posted as of 3 months ago that I noticed. Getting me in that place is considered forcible entry anyway as the metroplex has many, many more BBQ outlets that are far superior. They will be without my funds for both reasons. Hickory Stick in Forest Hill (plug)!!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Keith B »

DFWTT wrote:Admittedly after only reading the first 3 pages of this topic...The Rudy's in Arlington wasn't posted as of 3 months ago that I noticed. Getting me in that place is considered forcible entry anyway as the metroplex has many, many more BBQ outlets that are far superior. They will be without my funds for both reasons. Hickory Stick in Forest Hill (plug)!!
Read the title better, they are no longer posted and stated it was a mistake (in a post in the thread). So now you only have one reason not to eat there. ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

DFWTT wrote:Admittedly after only reading the first 3 pages of this topic...The Rudy's in Arlington wasn't posted as of 3 months ago that I noticed. Getting me in that place is considered forcible entry anyway as the metroplex has many, many more BBQ outlets that are far superior. They will be without my funds for both reasons. Hickory Stick in Forest Hill (plug)!!
Hickory Stick is really out of the way for us, but if we go to Alpine to shoot, we always stop by there.

Don't know how long that place has been there, but it was old the first time I was introduced to it, and that was more than 30 years ago. Any place that has been in business that long has got something going for it!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SATX-Scrub »

JALLEN wrote:I don't know about Rudy's. We tried it once and it wasn't up to my standards. I grew up in New Braunfels eating at Krause's a long time ago, and remember it with enthusiasm to this day.

I was back for the Longhorn Alumni Band Day last October and the Longhorn Band, and Alumni Band, catered lunch from a place called Pok-E-Jo's or something like that, and it was darn good, considering they fed almost 1,000 band members in a few hours right before the game. It was most excellent and I look forward to finding them when I get back there.
Could have been Smokey Mo's? Their pork ribs and buttered new potatos just got me thinking of what I wanted to have for lunch today!!!! (gotta get there early or there aren't any more ribs)

That being said, gotta go!
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

DFWTT

Post by DFWTT »

Crossfire wrote: Hickory Stick is really out of the way for us, but if we go to Alpine to shoot, we always stop by there.

Don't know how long that place has been there, but it was old the first time I was introduced to it, and that was more than 30 years ago. Any place that has been in business that long has got something going for it!

36 years same location, same owner. It's great! Tip: Small combo plate is more than enough and it's a couple dollars cheaper. :drool2:
Keith B wrote: Read the title better, they are no longer posted and stated it was a mistake (in a post in the thread). So now you only have one reason not to eat there. ;-)

Yea, I caught that right after I posted, hence the disclaimer. All good, now only one reason.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 6

Post by WildBill »

SATX-Scrub wrote:
JALLEN wrote:I don't know about Rudy's. We tried it once and it wasn't up to my standards. I grew up in New Braunfels eating at Krause's a long time ago, and remember it with enthusiasm to this day.

Could have been Smokey Mo's? Their pork ribs and buttered new potatos just got me thinking of what I wanted to have for lunch today!!!! (gotta get there early or there aren't any more ribs)

That being said, gotta go!
In my experience every BBQ joint named "Mo's" is excellent. :coolgleamA:
NRA Endowment Member

Texas10X
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Texas10X »

This thread has morphed into a review of BBQ places. I suggest this thread be locked and another opened, if more discussion is needed on BBQ. That will hopefully eliminate further misreads re: Rudy's, too.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”