Accident At Reds Gun Range

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

speedsix
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Accident At Reds Gun Range

Post by speedsix »

...the media picks and chooses what they report on...arbitrarily...after telling me "we don't report on suicides", a member pointed out here that the same station had reported on several up through late last year...including priors connected to this range...it's all about what they think their ratings need at the time...

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

speedsix wrote:...the media picks and chooses what they report on...arbitrarily...after telling me "we don't report on suicides", a member pointed out here that the same station had reported on several up through late last year...including priors connected to this range...it's all about what they think their ratings need at the time...
...and who the deceased may be...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

PM

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

thedeceiver wrote:
Fangs wrote:I've heard the thing about suicides not generally being reported in the media because it has a tendency to encourage copycat suicides. Don't remember where I heard it from. :???:
I've heard the same thing. It's also not really news, is it? I suppose it is because it's a semi-public place but if he had shot himself in his own home intentionally, it definitely wouldn't have made the news. It's also really hard on the family, assuming there is one, of the victim to continuously see news coverage, etc.
Actually, it is quite possible it would have made the news. The Associated Press has a lovely habit of distributing articles any time they are able to portray firearms in a negative light...you don't have to believe me, but do your own research...start keeping track of which news service put out the story...if its got firearms and a crime (or a suicide), odds are the AP is probably involved.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...they seem to be nappin' on the job on this one...nothing found but the posts by the man next to him and another who noticed the commotion, and the two twitty entrys...

msandoval858
Posts in topic: 1

Post by msandoval858 »

Very sad situation. My wife and I were at Red's for a few hours just the night before this happened. I heard rumors from another friend that there was an "incident" that ocurred but hadn't gotten any details other than finding this post.

I live in Pville and primarily shoot at Red's because it's so close to home. Very disturbing to say the least.

mreavis

Post by mreavis »

Yes very unfortunate indeed. I am unsure why the media has avoided the topic. There was plenty of press there towards the end and we at Reds did not try and stop them from filming or reporting. However, I was never able to find anything about it on the news. It was a suicide. The man rented a 357 revolver and shot a few shots on the range and right afterwards took the firearm to his own head. It's pretty clear he likely passed before he hit the ground and none of the projectile hit anyone else. He did in fact leave a note in his car explaining his intentions and why, although I never heard the reasons.

I wish his family the best of luck though.

android

Post by android »

Well, I can personally verify there were about a dozen cop cars and an ambulance at Red's lastn Mon evening (Jan 9, 2012). I regularly go shooting after work on Monday, but knew what happened as soon as I came up the road and saw all the flashing lights.

It happens a few times a year and I personally think it's in poor taste to question the employees about it. I'm sure they just want to put it behind them.

This kind of thing happens at many ranges that rent guns a few times a year. Some have made a policy of not allowing people to rent if they are alone or not known. That seems a bit restrictive and I'm glad Red's doesn't have that policy.

And you're really a jerk to do this. Go shoot yourself in your own home if you need to commit suicide and don't traumatize and waste the time of people that have nothing to do with your issues. Use your credit card and get a gun at Academy. They're cheap and you're not going to be around to pay the bill when it comes anyway.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...my dog says I do taste poor...but, as you'll see by the posts here, people are skittish when they see cops and ambulances at a place and DON'T know what happened...and some won't go there whether they hear the rumors or not...nobody likes trouble...it's much better for the business that the public knows what happened so they can realize they're safe there, and continue spending money there...this was an isolated incident not likely to repeat often...no danger to the regular customers there...
...sure, the employees get tired of answering questions...but the news should have reported the bare facts as they have on two other occasions with ranges under Red's control...and then customers wouldn't be needing to ask...
...thanks to the report supplied by an employee who chose to post here, the folks here, at least, who were concerned, will have their worries laid to rest and be back to spending money at Red's...which is kinda important these days....

mreavis

Post by mreavis »

I would hope no one is discouraged from shooting at Reds in the future because of this. But, I can understand the feeling. One just has to keep in mind that, as most of us know, your personal security in the end is left up to you. And being in a concrete room full of people with firearms of all different experience levels is less than an ideal atmosphere for safety. And occasionally, some have different objectives than practice or fun while being on the range. We do the best we can at Reds to make sure everyone is safe and can enjoy themselves. And I can safely say no one has ever even attempted to harm someone else at the shooting range. But so that everyone knows for their own peace of mind. Yes, it was a suicide, not an accident. No, no one else was harmed or threatened physically.

Mgm6.0l

Post by Mgm6.0l »

Geez this is scary,hard to believe that someone would take there own life. Let alone in front of others.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

I was there tonight and it was CRAZY BUSY. People were waiting 30 mins or more to shoot.

Somebody needs to open another indoor range in Austin. Why must Red's have a lock on that?

(Ah, if I only had a "spare" half-million laying around :mrgreen: )
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

A-R

Post by A-R »

OldCannon wrote:I was there tonight and it was CRAZY BUSY. People were waiting 30 mins or more to shoot.

Somebody needs to open another indoor range in Austin. Why must Red's have a lock on that?

It would cost a lot more than half a million - trust me ;-)

android

Post by android »

A-R wrote:
OldCannon wrote:I was there tonight and it was CRAZY BUSY. People were waiting 30 mins or more to shoot.

It's not just a shooting range, it's a shooting range and haz mat disposal facility all in one convenient location.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

A-R wrote:

Oh, I was just speaking of the range itself, not the store. And yes, it could be done for about $500k. Let's just say I do my business planning with a strategic mindset ;-) (and we live in Texas, which means regulatory overhead is lower).
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Return to “Never Again!!”