Texas License Plate Law?????

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

rm9792
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Texas License Plate Law?????

Post by rm9792 »

I just read thru the 234 page bill and i saw where they struck the requirement but did not see where it was put back in. From what I can see there is no plate requirement for the front now. Did I miss something in my reading? Was the intent to remove the front plate requirement?

Ldy AlliDu
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ldy AlliDu »

rm9792 wrote:I just read thru the 234 page bill and i saw where they struck the requirement but did not see where it was put back in. From what I can see there is no plate requirement for the front now. Did I miss something in my reading? Was the intent to remove the front plate requirement?
I don't know, but thanks for doing that :tiphat:

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Post by C-dub »

rm9792 wrote:I just read thru the 234 page bill and i saw where they struck the requirement but did not see where it was put back in. From what I can see there is no plate requirement for the front now. Did I miss something in my reading? Was the intent to remove the front plate requirement?
They didn't put it back in. I think they were going to move it, but they didn't do that either. They actually deleted the requirement for the front and back plates and the penalty for not having them.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Ldy AlliDu

Post by Ldy AlliDu »

Maier, Harvey William (W M, 60) Cited on Charge of Operate Motor Vehicle Without Plates, at 2316 Fm 1764 Rd, Lamarque, on 1/16/2012 3:36:49 PM.

Juvenile (W M, 16) Cited on Charge of Operate Motor Vehicle Without Plates, at 16600 San Luis Pass Rd, Jamaica Beach, on 1/16/2012 9:18:07 AM.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Post by C-dub »

Ldy AlliDu wrote:Maier, Harvey William (W M, 60) Cited on Charge of Operate Motor Vehicle Without Plates, at 2316 Fm 1764 Rd, Lamarque, on 1/16/2012 3:36:49 PM.

Juvenile (W M, 16) Cited on Charge of Operate Motor Vehicle Without Plates, at 16600 San Luis Pass Rd, Jamaica Beach, on 1/16/2012 9:18:07 AM.
This came up in another thread and I referenced this thread. Does anyone know what happened to these two cases since the requirement and penalty was removed?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

gdanaher
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by gdanaher »

Nope.

But on a related item, the state has given up on their blue sky multi colored plates that nobody can read at night or during the day, and going back to black on white, flat, digitally printed plates. I understand the numberinc sequence for passenger cars will be ABC*1234, similar to the last general issue in 1975.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 9

Post by speedsix »

...this tells it as it is... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only the background behind the numbers has changed...

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

speedsix wrote:...this tells it as it is... " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; only the background behind the numbers has changed...
No, all the graphics are going away except for a star in the upper left corner. Black text on a white reflective background. Source is the Journal of the Auto License Plate Collectors Association, current edition. They are supposed to be phased in during the summer sometime.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...nope...just called DPS plate office...no such change is planned...just what the video said...now, she said at myplates.com, you can order such a plate as a special order, but there is not a general change planned for all passenger plates...

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I've had the 7-digit "new" style plate with white behind the letters since April of 2011 just as your sample shows...got to renew them by Monday, as a matter of fact...

smoothoperator
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smoothoperator »

Those are even uglier than the new CHL design. Not that I can afford a new car in this economy anyhow.

gdanaher
Banned

Post by gdanaher »

The stuff on the DMV web page is the old plate, the one currently being issued. THIS is the new one, coming out as the current ones are exhausted:

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

http://www.texasobserver.org/snakeoil/b ... ense-plate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birth of a License Plate
The Texas DMV Board gets deep on its way to approving a new general-issue plate design.

“This is a good license plate,” Elliston told them. It’s black and white. More secure. Law enforcement loves it, he said. “It's not the prettiest plate we've ever made but you can buy those.”
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”