My friend needs new gun at a certain price.Need suggestions.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

SwimFan85
Posts in topic: 1

Re: My friend needs new gun at a certain price.Need suggesti

Post by SwimFan85 »

Probably the cheap holster is handicapping him more than the large gun. If he has $400 to spend, I suggest budgeting at least $100 for a decent holster and belt. Or spend $350 for a j-frame revolver and then a cheap uncle mikes nylon holster is OK for pocket carry.
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

68Charger wrote:How come no one has posted ANYTHING about a Walther? Bad rep? Does anyone know how one shoots?

Just curious..
I almost bought a Walther PPS, then some "Issue" started happening to them, I don't recall exactly, slide lock spring braking, jamming it or something. So I got a Taurus PT709 and a Keltec PF9 instead ... However none of those 3 really had options, like good sights for my eyes or for 1-hand operation. ( I use Advantage Tactical sights for XDs and Glocks etc) so I carry my Glock 26 usually.... sometimes with 13 rounds, for deep concealment, but usually with 19 (18+1) (a Glock 19 mag which holds 15, [It could be carried with just 15, but adding 3 more barely takes any more length] a +3 Pearce Grip PG39, and the soft rubber Magazine grip spacer from Midway) ... when I don't have my 26, i have an xd45 ... and may get a Springer 1911 with advantage tactical sights.... just for fun.

Absolutely allow enough budget for a GOOD holster and gun belt if he doesn't have one or any gun will be left at home.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

LJM wrote:The Ruger SR9C can be had in that price range and I carry mine every day. :fire
:iagree:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

68Charger wrote:Yeah, quick update. He is trying to look for a Polymer type pistol.
I retract my suggestion of a RIA 1911. Some peeps do like plastic, I am not one of them. :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

texasmusic

Post by texasmusic »

RPB wrote:
68Charger wrote:How come no one has posted ANYTHING about a Walther? Bad rep? Does anyone know how one shoots?

Just curious..
I almost bought a Walther PPS, then some "Issue" started happening to them, I don't recall exactly, slide lock spring braking, jamming it or something. So I got a Taurus PT709 and a Keltec PF9 instead ... However none of those 3 really had options, like good sights for my eyes or for 1-hand operation. ( I use Advantage Tactical sights for XDs and Glocks etc) so I carry my Glock 26 usually.... sometimes with 13 rounds, for deep concealment, but usually with 19 (18+1) (a Glock 19 mag which holds 15, [It could be carried with just 15, but adding 3 more barely takes any more length] a +3 Pearce Grip PG39, and the soft rubber Magazine grip spacer from Midway) ... when I don't have my 26, i have an xd45 ... and may get a Springer 1911 with advantage tactical sights.... just for fun.

Absolutely allow enough budget for a GOOD holster and gun belt if he doesn't have one or any gun will be left at home.
I have a PPS that has seen a lot of use. It had break-in problems. Failure to RTB, FTF and so on... but from 300 rounds on to about 2k it's been flawless. It's basically a single stack Glock.
Ubi libertas habitat ibi nostra patria est

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

In the price range stated there are several Glock options, XD optionds, and Ruger options available. The SR9C or LC9 get good reviews, the Walther PPS is the only small Walther available with a polymer frame, but I think it is out of your price range unless you just found a great deal. I think the Kel-tec PF9 is a good reliable gun, but is not pretty and doesn't feel hi quality to me.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Just curious..
I'm sure it's just an oversight. The PPS is a good choice.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Not to jump on the "$50 horse, with a $500 saddle" bandwagon, but a high quality holster and belt will make the P95 a "doable" Concealed Carry weapon. Very subtle changes in the angle (cant) of the gun on the belt, along with a holster that "pulls" the butt of the gun into the body in just the right places is the difference between having a bulge smaller than a cell phone, and having a saddle-bag poking from your belt.

For the budget minded, I almost always recommend upgrading the carry gear before changing out the gun...

I realize that not everyone can comfortably (or reliably) carry a full-size duty pistol concealed, but with the right gear, it's just amazing how many people CAN.

From there, I (like several above me) would highly recommend a trip to a range that rents guns...have him shoot everything he can get his hands on, and then buy the one that he falls in love with (funny, same advice works for guitars as for guns)...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

rentz

Post by rentz »

jason237m wrote:I prefer the M&P to the Glock, here is a link to a compact model on gunbroker.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =268058786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I finally got the chance to fire an M&P today and the grip on it was fabulous.
I'd certainly recommend it or a glock if the price is right

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

GTs has PD trade in G19s for well under that.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I have to agree with those who suggest a good holster and belt especially the belt. The Uncle Mike's for the P95 will make the carry even thicker on an already thick gun, most belts are going to leave the gun flopping around, The P95 is a good gun and carries pretty well, because of its rounded shape, it can be carried well and comfortably.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
68Charger
Posts in topic: 5

Post by 68Charger »

Thanks for all the replies.

I got him interested in one of the XD and Kel-Tec P11. We are calling around some shops here in San Antonio to see if some will rent them out.

He also wants a XD in 45 now. I don't know why he likes the polymer guns.. :roll:
We don't need no stinking badges!

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...if he wants a J frame...and most of us end up with at least one, for a smaller yet adequate weapon than the P95, he couldn't do better than Carlson1's that just went up for sale for $325...most I've seen in the pawn shops used are 450 and up...

2B1Ask1

Post by 2B1Ask1 »

I don't have the 9mm but carry the Kahr CW40 I believe they have the smaller carry sizes in all cal. tell him to check into them. I really like mine and know several police officers that carry the same gun I have as the conceal and as their back-up while on duty.
Kahr CW40

Mason since 2008

US Army Veteran 1997-1999 (8 months in Bosnia, Disabled)

Wes
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Wes »

Just got the xdm in 9 and love it! Definitely a nice gun.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”