Tell me where I was in the wrong...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Tell me where I was in the wrong...

Post by Oldgringo »

wgoforth wrote:
OldRingo said: C'mon 03, not "any old goof ball" can teach CHL classes. It takes money to get an Instructors license just as that medium is also required to obtain a CH license. Understanding the various signs and notifications must be optional?

BTW, has anyone mentioned that "concealed is concealed" over the duration of this thread?
Yes, it has been said by most of us...but are you noticing that this is NOT the CHL instructor saying this, but rather the DPS INSTRUCTORS CERTIFICATION school teaching this TO instructors? Thus the concern is NOT the keeping of it concealed, but that the DPS is TELLING instructors to teach that all gun signs are binding. Thus this isn't about the practice of carrying, but of TEACHING...and if the DPS teaches this today, instructors leave believing it, teach it to their classes...it becomes law without a shot fired.
Okay, I have nothing to add. It is up to the Instructor applicants to correct this state driven misinformation. :leaving

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 21

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

wgoforth wrote:In fact, the Captain went as far as to say that if a sign is non-compliant, call it in to the DPS...
Reading through the thread again I found this. I can think of nothing dumber than reporting a gun buster sign as non-compliant to the DPS. Perfect... we should all give the anti-gun Captain a list of businesses that can be written to and given proper instruction on how to further restrict our RKBA!!! Obviously, someone of anti-gun sentiment has been put in charge of that section of the DPS. This is evidence that a fox has slipped into our hen house.

chuckybrown
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by chuckybrown »

Slightly off topic, but it goes to some instructors. They're human, and like me, just don't absorb or remember it all:

A good friend of mine, and a business partner, is an instructor.

The other day we're driving to lunch, and I asked him what his carry choice was today. As we drove, I was sharing that I liked a certain pistol for OWB carry under a jacket for church. He turns to me and says "Chuck, you can't carry in church". We talked, he was adamant. I told him that we'd bet lunch, and I'd Google it on my smart phone and show him when we stopped in the parking lot.

I had steak for lunch.

Peace.
Chuckybrown

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 27

Post by wgoforth »

chuckybrown wrote:Slightly off topic, but it goes to some instructors. They're human, and like me, just don't absorb or remember it all:

The other day we're driving to lunch, and I asked him what his carry choice was today. As we drove, I was sharing that I liked a certain pistol for OWB carry under a jacket for church. He turns to me and says "Chuck, you can't carry in church". We talked, he was adamant. I told him that we'd bet lunch, and I'd Google it on my smart phone and show him when we stopped in the parking lot.

I had steak for lunch.

Peace.
Yup, church carry gets misunderstood a lot. A local instructor in Brownwood taught until recently you can't carry in church and got corrected. They get hung up on the fact that the penal code DOES say that...then miss the last paragraph that was added by later legislature, saying it applies ONLY if the church had a 30.06.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

wgoforth wrote:
chuckybrown wrote:Slightly off topic, but it goes to some instructors. They're human, and like me, just don't absorb or remember it all:

I had steak for lunch.

Peace.
Yup, church carry gets misunderstood a lot. A local instructor in Brownwood taught until recently you can't carry in church and got corrected. They get hung up on the fact that the penal code DOES say that...then miss the last paragraph that was added by later legislature, saying it applies ONLY if the church had a 30.06.
A classic example of, "...a little learnin' can be a dangerous thing...". :rules:

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Oldgringo wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

I had steak for lunch.

Peace.
A classic example of, "...a little learnin' can be a dangerous thing...". :rules:
Probably 1/4 of the preachers I know carry right into the pulpit. Self included.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

wgoforth wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

I had steak for lunch.

Peace.
Probably 1/4 of the preachers I know carry right into the pulpit. Self included.
The high ground is usually the easiest position to defend plus it often offers the commanding view of the field.

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

Oldgringo wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
OldRingo said: C'mon 03, not "any old goof ball" can teach CHL classes. It takes money to get an Instructors license just as that medium is also required to obtain a CH license. Understanding the various signs and notifications must be optional?

BTW, has anyone mentioned that "concealed is concealed" over the duration of this thread?
Yes, it has been said by most of us...but are you noticing that this is NOT the CHL instructor saying this, but rather the DPS INSTRUCTORS CERTIFICATION school teaching this TO instructors? Thus the concern is NOT the keeping of it concealed, but that the DPS is TELLING instructors to teach that all gun signs are binding. Thus this isn't about the practice of carrying, but of TEACHING...and if the DPS teaches this today, instructors leave believing it, teach it to their classes...it becomes law without a shot fired.
Okay, I have nothing to add. It is up to the Instructor applicants to correct this state driven misinformation. :leaving
Has anyone pointed this out to Charles? Maybe he has not noticed this in this thread. I would like to know what his thoughts are on this. :headscratch
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

speedsix
Posts in topic: 11

Post by speedsix »

...he don't miss just a whole lot...

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

VoiceofReason wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
wgoforth wrote:

Has anyone pointed this out to Charles? Maybe he has not noticed this in this thread. I would like to know what his thoughts are on this. :headscratch
This discussion has now been given its own thread. It has been suggested that i may be mistaken and am always willing to consider that. So I have written the instructor for clarification. Once he responds, we can go from there. Until then, shall we let it ride? If I am mistaken, I'll owe some apologies and take my lumps like a big boy I promise.
NRA Life Member

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

Since this is not the original topic, and you have started a new thread, I will lock this one.

Please direct all future responses to: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=51394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”