Used Pepper Spray This Evening

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
snatchel
Posts in topic: 8

Used Pepper Spray This Evening

Post by snatchel »

Im vacationing in Los Angeles, visiting my in-laws with my wife. As most of you know, Cali does not suport our 2nd ammendment right to carry and just before crossing into Cali I disarmed.

In preparation for my trip here I went and ordered A couple cans of Vexor MK2 Foam spray because I wanted my wife and I to have something to rely on.... And I'm glad I did. My FIL,2 SIL's, my wife and I all went on a short trip to Santa Monica today to see the pier, which turned out to be ridden with homeless and the like. My FIL and I excused ourselves to use the restroom on the pier, and when we walked inside there was a homeless man sittin on the wall next to the trash cans asking for change. I ignored him, as did my FIL, and continued on to the urinal. As I was washing my hands the homeless guy started hustling my FIL, aggressively asking for money, etc. My FIL was standing at the urinal, and when the homeless man started putting hands on him, my FIL only had one hand to defend himself. I rushed over and pushed the mam against the stall, reaching for the pepper spray. I informs him he would get sprayed if he moved toward us on our exit. As we were exiting he rushed, and I liberally sprayed his face.

No one was in the restroom but us, and I blocked the door and sent my FIL to seek the police, who had a beachside station about 50 yards away. I could hear the guy screaming and trying to rinse the pepper spray off his face.

Police arrived, sat me down next to the wall, and went into the restroom (pepper spray ready, clearly advocating through the door that he should sit down in there or risk getting hit again). One officer sat with me.

At this point Iwas starting to worry. I foolishly did not read up on use of force laws before bringing pepper spray into Cali, other than knowing that more that 2.5 oz was illegal, I was ignorant. I also carry a good size pocket knife.

Police exited with the homeless man, put him in squad car, and waited for ambulance. The one who waited with me began asking questions. I was 100% honest with him, and my FIL was there to corroborate the story. I was carrying a CRKT 21 pocket knife, and although it was legal he informed me that the ADA was on the way and I might want to have my wife hold into it because the ADA was a donkeys butt (his words, but edited) and would be looking for any way to make a case against me.

ADA arrived ten minutes later, after the SMPD finished questioning me and was in fact a jerk. He was informed I was visiting from TX, had a CHL, and immediately began asking me if I brought a gun into California. I answered that the question was irrelevant and his questions continued. I suppose after 15 minutes or so he figured there was no case against me and resorted to telling me how Texans are all cowboys out looking for trouble, etc. He went on and on about my CHL and how it wasn't necessary seeing that pepper spray did the job, yada yada. I sat quietly and held my tongue.

After an hour or so I was released, but was told that I would possibly be contacted if they needed anything. So what did I learn?

1. Vexor Pepper Foam Sprayworked. He immediately fell and ended his threat. I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for a LTL means of defense. I will definately be Ordering another canister.

2. CA laws are garbage. If I had not had pepper spray I would have been screwed. If the homeless guy had been armed, I would have had a much different story to tell.

3. Santa Monica PDwas fantastic. The officer who I dealt with was courteous, understanding, and professional. He also saved me some grief about the pocket knife, and I'll be forever grateful for it.

4. Always carry some means of defense, even if it is just pepper spray.

5. Don't be an idiot- read the laws of the state your in. Thank God I was fortunate and did not violate any of California's rediculous laws....

P.S. I was talking with the SMPD officer who questioned me after the ADA left and the homeless guy had 2 expensive watches, 4 wallets, and over $150 in cash on his person. He also had a syringe and a couple of crack rocks in his bag. I also asked why the ADA would even come by for something like this and was told he was "young, mean, and trying to make a name for himself." he also told me that when my state of residency and CHL status went over the radio it probably sparked his curiosity. Im Sure the ADA would have loved to hear i had a concealed weapon...

Officer was a native of Tuscon, AZ and was licensed to carry in his state before taking this job. Friendly faces can even be found in CA I guess :)
No More Signature

Topic author
snatchel

Re: Used Pepper Spray This Evening

Post by snatchel »

I'm using an iPad, I appologize for terrible grammar and spelling...
No More Signature

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Wow, thank you for sharing. Glad you and your FIL are safe.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I'm gonna give you the WIN for that engagement. Not only did you reset expectations of a California bum, you also represented Texas and the entire 2A community well by acting within the law and carrying yourself well when the PHTF.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. I hope it's less exciting than this.

Thanks for sharing the details.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

strider67
Posts in topic: 3

Post by strider67 »

Wow. Just wow. You deal with peeping toms and aggressive homeless guys in the matter of a few weeks. The worst thing that has happened to me lately was whether or not the LEO doing radar was turning around for me or the other guy...(it was the other guy).

Glad to hear everything turned out well for y'all. Bet you are just about ready to get back to the great state of Texas!
"When things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plum, mad-dog mean. Cuz' if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win...that's just the way it is." - The Outlaw Josey Wales

Topic author
snatchel

Post by snatchel »

Tell me about it... I have also had the water pump quit in my car, a/c unit go out in the house, 2 accidents (not at fault), and my identity stolen. All this since Feb '11...

Has been a rough year.
No More Signature

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

strider67 wrote:The worst thing that has happened to me lately was whether or not the LEO doing radar was turning around for me or the other guy...(it was the other guy).
Helped a friend move a couple weeks ago, and borrowed my lawyer's truck to do it. Didn't notice the plate light out or the expired registration.

Guess he figured I'd have representation if I wanted to fight it, so just warnings for both.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Great story, and you handled it well. Suppose you didn't have pepper spray and only had a concealed gun instead? Just imagine the aftermath; you'd probably still be in jail. Our CHL instructor recommended carrying a small canister of pepper spray (NOT on the keychain!) for situations exactly like this. Excellent, excellent example.

Only one disagreement: I wouldn't use Vexor. Vexor is rated at .5 to 2 SCU (Scoville Heat Units) in intensity. The best you can get is Fox Labs, rated at 5.3 SCU, over twice as strong. Use the "cone mist" type. The Fox Labs spray will disable just about anybody (see the videos on YouTube). Vexor worked on this homeless guy, but if it had been a big, muscular, hyped-up young thug, it might not have.

4 wallets??? $150 cash?? Holy crap!!!
-Ruark

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Ruark wrote:Great story, and you handled it well. Suppose you didn't have pepper spray and only had a concealed gun instead? !!

My thoughts exactly. Something to think about for sure.
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

I have no plans to ever return to Kalifornia but could be going to SOUTHERN Illinois this fall for a HS get together and will keep the pepper spray in mind. Southern Illinois is a long way from Chicago in nearly every regard except that it is still Illinois.

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

Oldgringo wrote:I have no plans to ever return to Kalifornia but could be going to SOUTHERN Illinois this fall for a HS get together and will keep the pepper spray in mind. Southern Illinois is a long way from Chicago in nearly every regard except that it is still Illinois.
Yeah, I think you're safe with pepper spray there.

(Former SIUE student ;-) )
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

Limey Hooligan

Post by Limey Hooligan »

Very well anticipated and handled! Scary situation indeed....

I was commuting to San Fran/Oakland area for several weeks this year, mostly took the BART train and sometimes had to work near the Occupy Oakland crowd. Some real characters on the train at night, needless to say I didn't feel too safe.

While I was there, they also had 3 or 4 incidences of disgruntled workers shooting people and/or armed carjackings that I saw on the local news. Like fish in a barrel, I suppose. :roll:
Springfield XD45 bi-tone compact with Streamlight
Taurus PT709 Slim bi-tone
Izhmash Saiga-12 shotgun highly customized from Lone Star Arms

couzin

Post by couzin »

P
Oldgringo wrote:I have no plans to ever return to Kalifornia but could be going to SOUTHERN Illinois this fall for a HS get together and will keep the pepper spray in mind. Southern Illinois is a long way from Chicago in nearly every regard except that it is still Illinois.
@ Oldgringo - where in SI? I grew up in Golconda, Pope County. And you are very correct -SI is not like the rest of the state!
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Oldgringo »

couzin wrote:P
@ Oldgringo - where in SI? I grew up in Golconda, Pope County. And you are very correct -SI is not like the rest of the state!
I went from the 2nd thru the 6th grade in Metropolis and from the 7th thru the middle of my junior HS year in Harrisburg. Dad got a transfer and moved us back to my birthplace in Nashville, TN where I graduated from HS in '60 and ultimately graduated from UT Knoxville in '67. You can't get any further south in Illinois than Metropolis and still stay on dry land.

Back to the here and now and it's.... :txflag:

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Glad things worked out for you guys. Scary situation.

One quesiton, how did they know you had a CHL? Did you show it to them or did it come up when they ran your license?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”