A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Qualifying with laser

Post by RPB »

I think someone asked last month or so.

If I recall, ... Instructors won't allow it ... possibly an exception if a person has some visual impairment ... dunno

Personal experience:
I qualified with a Taurus PT92 with a laser mounted, outdoor range, daylight
I turned the red laser on, I couldn't see it on the target anyway, turned it off.
Had second best score using the standard sights anyway (wouldda been highest but [[ insert manly excuse here about lady shooting next to me a) making me nervous b) rapid firing c) throwing my timing off d) other....]] )
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

RPB wrote:I think someone asked last month or so.

If I recall, ... Instructors won't allow it ... possibly an exception if a person has some visual impairment ... dunno

Personal experience:
I qualified with a Taurus PT92 with a laser mounted, outdoor range, daylight
I turned the red laser on, I couldn't see it on the target anyway, turned it off.
Had second best score using the standard sights anyway (wouldda been highest but [[ insert manly excuse here about lady shooting next to me a) making me nervous b) rapid firing c) throwing my timing off d) other....]] )

I'm sure one of her rounds MUST have hit your target! :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

lou

Post by lou »

superchief wrote:I am sure it has been covered here, but here goes:

Can a student go through qual using a laser?

Thanks
My instructor said iron sights only. No scopes or electronic sights.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I can't find the relevant law that prohibits using laser sights or scopes. Is this restriction imposed by the DPS, or the individual instructer.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

philip964

Post by philip964 »

My memory was the test was pretty easy, don't think you really need any "aids" to pass. Only thing I remember that is important is you need to take it with a Semi Automatic so you get credit for it and a revolver at the same time.

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

37 Texas Administrative Code Chapter 6:
Rule 6.11(a) wrote:The proficiency demonstration course will be the same for both instructors and license applications...
Rule 6.73 wrote:...No optical enhancers will be allowed.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

MasterOfNone wrote:37 Texas Administrative Code Chapter 6:
Rule 6.11(a) wrote:The proficiency demonstration course will be the same for both instructors and license applications...
Thanks,
I assume these are rules that were written by DPS not by our legislature nor approved by our governor.
Is there a web site where I can get a copy of these rules? I maintain an informal site that lists most of the applicable laws. Some might find this useful.

Edit.Google is our friend: http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... &pt=1&ch=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

So, does a fiber optic sight come under "enhanced optics" for the instructor's test then?
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

punkndisorderly

Post by punkndisorderly »

When was the section about optical enhancers added? I know i've seen people qualify with them under another instructor.

I also seem to remember somewhere hearing scopes were no-go's but lasers weren't.

I'll try to remember to email dps for clarification.
Texas CHL Instructor

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

Liberty wrote:
MasterOfNone wrote:37 Texas Administrative Code Chapter 6:
Thanks,
I assume these are rules that were written by DPS not by our legislature nor approved by our governor.
Is there a web site where I can get a copy of these rules? I maintain an informal site that lists most of the applicable laws. Some might find this useful.

Edit.Google is our friend: http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub/rea ... &pt=1&ch=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From a layman's read of the Government Code 2001 (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... V.2001.htm), it seems you are correct that these rules are written by DPS and are not "approved" by the Governor. However, DPS is required to provide any proposed rule to the legislature and the Lt. Governor for review and comment.
GC 2001.032 wrote:Sec. 2001.032. LEGISLATIVE REVIEW. (a) Each house of the legislature by rule shall establish a process under which the presiding officer of each house refers each proposed state agency rule to the appropriate standing committee for review before the rule is adopted.
(b) A state agency shall deliver to the lieutenant governor and the speaker of the house of representatives a copy of the notice of a proposed rule when the agency files notice with the secretary of state under Section 2001.023.
(c) On the vote of a majority of its members, a standing committee may send to a state agency a statement supporting or opposing adoption of a proposed rule.
DPS can still adopt a rule regardless of the comments received. But in adopting the rule, DPS must demonstrate the statutory authority for that rule (GC 2001.033(a)(2)). Since the legislature can change that statutory authorization, it appears to give them a form of overruling power anyway.

In the particular case of the rules governing the proficiency demonstration, the statutory authority comes from GC 411.188(a):
GC 411.188(a) wrote:The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency...
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

We were told by DPS in our instructors course that lasers where not allowed and so far I have not seen one student fail because they could not use their laser sight, on the contrary most shooters seem to do better without them.

IMVHO :tiphat:
Last edited by thatguy on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

speakEasy

Post by speakEasy »

Laser is a gimmick, yea it works but should not be relied upon over iron sights. You don't see them on successful competitive pistol shooters' weapons for a reason...

Munson

Post by Munson »

You don't see them in competition because they are not allowed. I used to think like you, and I still only run irons, but they do give the shooter a huge advantage. Get a set, do some serious training with them for a month, and you too will be a believer.

Wes

Post by Wes »

punkndisorderly wrote:I know i've seen people qualify with them under another instructor.
ive also known people to take their 10 hour class in less than 8, but alas, that is how it goes sometimes as not everyone follows the rules to the strictist
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Return to “Instructors' Corner”