Left handed shooter and bolt action rifles

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

michael e
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Left handed shooter and bolt action rifles

Post by michael e »

I have a left handed 270, I like it over the right handed stuff I have shot. Looking to add a 22 soon.

threoh8
Posts in topic: 4

Post by threoh8 »

[counterrant]
The victim mentality sure can sneak up on one, can’t it?
The Annoyed Man wrote: So I discount the opinions of right handed shooters on this topic because those opinions have no bearing on the realities for a left handed person.

It is my observation that right handed people tend to be dismissive of the concerns of left handed people in the market place.
So can bigotry. The old “It’s a XXXXX thing, you could’t understand” argument is bull, and always was. It’s just a way to pretend someone who may not agree with you has an inferior intellect. It is possible for good, reasonable, and intelligent people to disagree. I'd like to think that is the case here.
The Annoyed Man wrote:The more left-handed people who insist on the availability of left handed products, the more left handed products will be easily available in the marketplace.
Manufacturers are going to always follow the path of least resistance, and the only reason they aren't stepping up is because we left handers have let them get away with it.
That's the basic “us versus them” mentality showing its head as well. You're advocating insisting on actions by people whose opinions and therefore ideas you have discounted, and who you've generalized as dismissive?
I have traits and issues that make some things difficult for me. We all do. I don’t pretend that others can’t understand because they haven’t been in exactly my situation. I find a way and go about my business. A lot of people around me do not know my issues and limitations.
I did not dismiss the issues faced by left-handers. I pointed out an example of someone I knew who opened his eyes to several possibilities, found some that worked for him, and excelled.
I am very sensitive to what southpaws go through, having a son with that trait. To make it more of a challenge, he is cross-dominant: left-handed and right-eyed. He prefers to shoot right handed, and does very well. I did not teach him to seek out others like him for some kind of bonding and validation, to hold some kind of grudge or bias against those who are different, or to bemoan the lack of equipment designed for his particular situation. He has learned to look for gear that suits him, to use the more common equipment if that’s what’s available, and to adapt or adapt to things as needed to get the job done.
[/counterrant]
Now that that’s out of the way …
First: I was misquoted. Let’s be careful with the attributions. It’s a coding thing, but a simple one.
Second: My point with respect to this thread: Specifically designed equipment might be more convenient once acquired, but it’s possible to use wrong-handed gear well. Keeping that in mind opens up a lot of options for all of us.
It’s true that left handed rifles are not all that common. Left-friendly rifles are pretty common, though. Levers work up and down, and some don’t even eject across your sight line. The same goes for pump rifles. Most of the newer AR’s bump the ejected rounds away, and older AR’s can use deflectors. Some military rifles can be reconfigured to more-or-less full left hand operation. Truly ambidextrous repeating rifles exist – the bottom-eject Browning .22 auto comes to mind – but are not common at all.
As far as efficiency, let’s admit something. If the purpose is truly rapid rifle fire, manually operated repeaters are not the way to go at all, no matter what hand is working the bolt, lever, or pump. Semiautos require much less physical shooter involvement, freeing the shooter to concentrate on firing. Personally, I like cranking a bolt in rapid fire, using stripper clips, and lining up a post front sight in an aperture rear sight … I really do … but that’s another thread.

Kum ba ya, anyone?
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 8

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Are you calling me a bigot? You read much into what I wrote.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Rugerboy50
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Rugerboy50 »

This thread was opened for a very simple reason.

I contacted a major local Firearm merchant and two large online supply houses. None of them could tell me when or if left handed bolt action rifles would be available or could be found.

This did surprise me. With everything that's out there i didn't think this would be that big of a deal.

I'm a lefty and i'm not interested in having brass fly across my face or have the bolt in my peripheral vision.

I have a 15-22 and everytime i shoot it i wind up with powder stings on my face.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

Nice stealth edit, TAM.

You might want to look up the term. It is not confined to race. It can include laterality.

The Annoyed Man

threoh8 wrote:Nice stealth edit, TAM.

You might want to look up the term. It is not confined to race. It can include laterality.
Well, you irritated me pretty strongly, and then I reconsidered my answer and went back and edited it. Are you saying that I am laterally bigoted? I'd like to have that part out in the open, please.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Carry-a-Kimber
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Rugerboy50 wrote:This thread was opened for a very simple reason.

I contacted a major local Firearm merchant and two large online supply houses. None of them could tell me when or if left handed bolt action rifles would be available or could be found.

This did surprise me. With everything that's out there i didn't think this would be that big of a deal.

I'm a lefty and i'm not interested in having brass fly across my face or have the bolt in my peripheral vision.

I have a 15-22 and everytime i shoot it i wind up with powder stings on my face.
Remington LH models
Bud's left handed offerings

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Well, you irritated me pretty strongly, and then I reconsidered my answer and went back and edited it. Are you saying that I am laterally bigoted? I'd like to have that part out in the open, please.
No, I am not saying that. I said “The victim mentality sure can sneak up on one, can’t it? … So can bigotry. “ I did not say you have either, yet. I did detect a trend in that direction in your post and pointed out a slippery slope – as friends do.

And it was pretty irritating for me that you repeated a misquote with my screen name attached in bold. Twice. That attaches, in some readers’ minds, me with the subject of your rant. Nothing I said is dismissive of the issues at hand, so to speak.

Open enough? Fair enough? You and I should be friends. Shake?

The Annoyed Man

Fair enough. Shake.

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flechero »

A lefty can shoot a RH rifle with no trouble... you see it every day on every range. But if you take a scenario like hunting where a quick follow up shot might be needed or you might be forced to shoot on the move or something- it's a very different ball game.

I shot righty all my life with no trouble... even prided myself on being able to make pretty quick follow ups... but the day I bought and shot my first LH rifle, I knew I would never shoot right handed rifles again... it really is THAT BIG of a difference for most people.

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

If you can't find a left handed bolt action then shoot a real rifle, either a lever or single shot can be shot from either side and it isn't one of those evil military jobs (circa 1900) :evil2:

Frankly it doesn't make much difference to me as I shoot form either shoulder depending on the situation and don't see much difference. Both have their trade offs. If I'm concerned about very quick follow ups I'll choose either a semi or a lever gun anyway. Both Browning and Savage use to make some very nice levers in decent calibers.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

The Annoyed Man

flechero wrote:A lefty can shoot a RH rifle with no trouble... you see it every day on every range. But if you take a scenario like hunting where a quick follow up shot might be needed or you might be forced to shoot on the move or something- it's a very different ball game.

I shot righty all my life with no trouble... even prided myself on being able to make pretty quick follow ups... but the day I bought and shot my first LH rifle, I knew I would never shoot right handed rifles again... it really is THAT BIG of a difference for most people.
On page 1, I wrote:I'll never buy another right handed bolt rifle as long as I live. Once you've had a chance to try one, you'll never want to go back. It is that big of a difference.
On page 1, canvasback wrote:Although us lefties can adapt and shoot a right handed bolt just fine, if you ever get a left handed one, you will wonder why you spend all that time shooting a backwards rifle
On page 2, michael e wrote:I have a left handed 270, I like it over the right handed stuff I have shot.
4 left handed shooters, all of whom have had experience shooting right handed rifles, and all of whom own and prefer left-handed rifles. That ought to answer the OP's original question. The guy at the gun store is just trying to make a quick sale of whatever he's got on hand. Try asking him if he can order a LH rifle for you, and what that would cost.

Remington Left Handed Models: http://www.remington.com/product-catego ... px?panel=4

Savage Left Handed Models: http://savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Ruger Left Handed Models: http://ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeSta ... odels.html

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

I stopped in Bass Pro Shops Pearland and their computer showed several left handed models available for order.

The counter salesman told me to bring model #'s of rifles that interest me and they will see about locating them.

A quick search showed several Savage, Tikka and Remington models available.

Topic author
Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

Sure wish that Remington came in a stainless version. I like that look with the synthetic stock.

hooknbullet

Post by hooknbullet »

I'm also a lefty & have shot RH rifles all my life. Some years ago I got a LH Savage .270 as a gift & it is my go-to hunting rifle but not because it's left-handed. My 4 other bolt rifles are all right handed & there's nothing cumbersome enough about deer hunting or bench shooting with a RH bolt rifle to warrant the extra expense of a LH bolt rifle. You;ll be just fine with a RH bolt rifle. Now back in my Army days, I had a few issues with hot 5.56 brass from an M16A1 getting down the right sleeve of my BDU and that will get your attention! :cryin
Always Remember:
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
(I don't know who deserves credit for this quote, but I like it.)

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”