17yo moved out

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
suthdj
Posts in topic: 6

17yo moved out

Post by suthdj »

My 17yo son moved out about a month ago reality is setting in and he wants to move back here, I really don't want him here he is trouble with no end in sight. Do I have to let him back in my house?
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 17yo moved out

Post by olafpfj »

Ianal but my gut would say that at 17 he is still a minor so, yes, you have to let him come home. At 18 he is legally an adult and he can fly or die of his own merit. Legally I have no idea but ethically that's how I see it.

My ¢.02
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

Get a court order and keep the bum out.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Life just has to be easier with a 17 y/o in the house.

After all, they know EVERYTHING! :roll:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Lambda Force »

IANAL but I think a 17yo is no longer a child according to the Texas Family Code.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Lambda Force wrote:IANAL but I think a 17yo is no longer a child according to the Texas Family Code.
That might be if they are emancipated. The default cutoff might still be at 18, but who knows with the Obamanation these days. They have increased the age that adults can be on their parents' insurance.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

...might read the story of the prodigal son in the Bible...good advice for us all...I had once a son who at 17 turned bad...drank too much, smoked pot, and chased loose wimmen...contrary to his raisin'...I told him if he brought the pot in the house, he would go to jail...if he offered it to his two younger brothers, he would go to the hospital...told him how wrong he was and butted heads many times...he, too, was "trouble with no end in sight"...
...through all of this, I told him how much I loved him, that nothing he could do would change that, that I still believed in what he could be if he'd give his heart and life back to our Saviour...and that I'd visit him in jail at every opportunity...

...today, the troublesome young man is a Sergeant in the Army Reserve, has completed a tour in Iraq with his younger brother, is married and has a happy little 3 1/2 year old girl and another on the way...and is totally sold out for Jesus Christ and living by the Bible...and loves his tough old Dad with all his heart...no brag, just fact...
...NOW you decide if your son's worth the trouble he causes...

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

suthdj wrote:My 17yo son moved out about a month ago reality is setting in and he wants to move back here, I really don't want him here he is trouble with no end in sight. Do I have to let him back in my house?
If he left of his own accord I would think not, but IANAL.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Lambda Force

Post by Lambda Force »

speedsix wrote:...might read the story of the prodigal son in the Bible...good advice for us all...
Especially the part about the prodigal son repenting. :thumbs2:
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

marinemom

Post by marinemom »

let him move back in..give set of rules..

my 19 yr old moved out in April---he had been a real pain.. attitude, etc..(quit college)
moved back in last month (car died-no transportation..) he is a different person
..polite, more mature (real life set in) .. has actual goals for future.; no problems
getting chores/cleaning done. --
I would give him a chance! I would bet he has changed ..
jmo
Semper Fi

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Draw up a contract, all parties sign it with expectations, rules and consequences clear up front. This often avoids a lot of "stuff" in the future. Maybe now since life has kicked him around a little he will be a humbler tigger. You also have the right to do random testing for "foreign substances."

Wish you the best and adding you to our prayers.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

speedsix wrote:...might read the story of the prodigal son in the Bible...
Would that it always worked that way.
speedsix wrote:...today, the troublesome young man is a Sergeant in the Army Reserve,
And that.
speedsix wrote:...NOW you decide if your son's worth the trouble he causes...
In my case, my son, emancipated by his being in college at the time of the death of his mother and staying there, is actually doing quite well for himself, but . . .

My stepson has been in jail a few times, has been thrown out by his mother, me, his vest friend, his best friend's parents, his sister, his girlfriend, and his father, and he still has no idea what he's doing wrong, and thinks it's everyone else's fault.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

deafCHL

Post by deafCHL »

A 17 year old can still be forcefully committed to a psychiatric institution. However, once he turns 18, he can tell them, "unlock the doors, I'm walking out."

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Yes, but in the parable of the prodigal son, the young man finally comes to his senses, in humility… recognizes his foolishness and decides to return to his father and ask for forgiveness and mercy.

IF this same repentant spirit exists in the OP’s Son…then yes… he should be received with open arms, IF NOT…then perhaps nothing will be gained except the enabling of the lad.

Important for Christians to forgive (where appropriate), but at the same time NOT be made a fool of.
I’ve seen it work both ways.

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

speedsix
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedsix »

...of course you're right...but the father didn't go chasing after him out in the far lands...but stayed home being who he was...doing what he did...but spent time looking for the boy to return...and, one day, saw him coming "afar off", hiked up his stately robes, and ran down the road to meet him, wildly welcoming him home...
...by feeling as that father did...and reacting as that father did, once the son learned his lessons, the son ran for home...a condemning and hateful attitude when the boy left would have changed the story...
...we should stick to our principles, not condoning the wrong...but not condemning the prodigal...always communicating the father's love...which will usually draw them back home when they do wake up...

Return to “Off-Topic”