Introducing my wife to shooting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Introducing my wife to shooting

Post by 1s1k52 »

Thanks for all the replies. Its something I think needs rushed and I am trying not to. I am away from home a lot and we have heard of two crimes in our apartments. Did I state that already? our neighbor across the hall was broken into. Forced entry with a crowbar. Second story was a mugging while someone walked there dog. We live in a brand new apartment complex ,but I have tried to explain to her stuff happens everywhere. Kind of harse lesson for her to learn.

At the moment I dont have a lot of options. Can't seem to find a .22 dont have the money for a class or another pistol. (may have forgot to mention the beretta is my dads).

Thanks for all the replies and link to the thread. I hopefully will have a more clear of a goal at the end of the week. I am starting to think this was just something that she suggested because she was scared and shocked. It seems now that is over she is back to having no real opinion on the matter. Money is a big thing for her with us already tightening up for the holidays so with the fact that this will come with dollar signs, it is a factor that contributes to steering her away from the idea.
(insert clever signature here)

CaseyH
Posts in topic: 1

Post by CaseyH »

My husband and I took our kids out to some family land this weekend and let both of them shoot my Sig P250C 9mm. They are 8 (boy) and 12 (girl), and neither has a problem controlling the gun. My only suggestion would be to start her with a gun that has a thick enough grip that she will have a good hold on the gun. The last thing you want is to have her start with something that will snap back and scare her. Good Luck!

9/26/11 - Packet Mailed
9/28/11 - Packet Received in Austin
10/15/11 - CHL in hand

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Call a few local ranges. It's rare that a range won't have at least a few guns for rent.
For $10 plus range time you should be able to rent a .22 for starters.
Many ranges will let you rent several guns under the same one-time fee. Ask when you call.
You might be able to shoot a .22 for a while, then try the .380.
IMO, a 9mm is easier to shoot than a .380, but maybe it's just my XL hands.
.22's, as already mentioned, are a great place to start for their minimal recoil as well as being very cheap on ammo.
If you want to come over to N Fort Worth, I'd be happy to take you both to my local range and let you shoot my Ruger .22.
It's a bit of a haul from McKinney. Would be cheaper to rent a gun at your local range and save the gas. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 5

Post by wgoforth »

RoyGBiv wrote:Call a few local ranges. It's rare that a range won't have at least a few guns for rent.
For $10 plus range time you should be able to rent a .22 for starters.
Many ranges will let you rent several guns under the same one-time fee. Ask when you call.
You might be able to shoot a .22 for a while, then try the .380.
IMO, a 9mm is easier to shoot than a .380, but maybe it's just my XL hands.
.22's, as already mentioned, are a great place to start for their minimal recoil as well as being very cheap on ammo.
If you want to come over to N Fort Worth, I'd be happy to take you both to my local range and let you shoot my Ruger .22.
It's a bit of a haul from McKinney. Would be cheaper to rent a gun at your local range and save the gas. :mrgreen:
I agree that generally a 9mm is easier to shoot than a .380. A .380 is usually a "snappy" little round. Plus generally in a smaller gun. IF it is in something larger like a Sig 238 or a Walther is milder due to size of gun.
Last edited by wgoforth on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

When I first read the subject of this thread, "Introducing my wife to shooting"... I first wondered "From WHICH end of the barrel?" "rlol"
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

wgoforth wrote:When I first read the subject of this thread, "Introducing my wife to shooting"... I first wondered "From WHICH end of the barrel?" "rlol"

Lmao!! That's awesome. Well once again thanks for all te replies. Local range is out. She would be to jumpy. I have seen it first hand. I found a 22 someone will let me borrow. Now I just have to wait on her to get done with finals. Waiting is te last thing I want but it's the cards I have been delt with.

Her friend called her this morning and said someone was bangin on her door. We all live in the same complex. I didnt get details I just told my wife be more aware of what's going on.

I don't want this to turn into a caliber debate but I only will get her a 380 if Its the only thing she will shoot. Just my opinion.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

1s1k52 wrote:
wgoforth wrote:When I first read the subject of this thread, "Introducing my wife to shooting"... I first wondered "From WHICH end of the barrel?" "rlol"

Lmao!! That's awesome. Well once again thanks for all te replies. Local range is out. She would be to jumpy. I have seen it first hand. I found a 22 someone will let me borrow. Now I just have to wait on her to get done with finals. Waiting is te last thing I want but it's the cards I have been delt with.

Her friend called her this morning and said someone was bangin on her door. We all live in the same complex. I didnt get details I just told my wife be more aware of what's going on.

I don't want this to turn into a caliber debate but I only will get her a 380 if Its the only thing she will shoot. Just my opinion.
I know many scoff at it, but I do believe the .380 to be a legitimate round. My only concern is that a .380 is considered a tad "snappy".. so if that is the concern for her, don't know if that is the answer. A 9mm in larger gun generally (to me) has less perceived recoil than a .380 in a smaller package. Exception being the Sig P238 as it is all steel and absorbs more recoil...again, that's to me and my wife...your mileage may vary!
NRA Life Member

B3XD

Post by B3XD »

1. Read some of other posts on teaching your spouse to shoot. ( see the Ladies section or google the topic)
2. Encourage her to read Kathy Jackson's Cornered Cat web site and book.
3. Have either a professional or trade with a friend, whose skills in both training and shooting you respect, to teach her how to shoot. Before hand, you teach her how to operate the semi (btw, read Cornered Cat's advice on how to rack a slide, yourself)
4 Encourage her to get involved with some of the women's programs there. Here in Houston, some of them provide 22's to get you started.
5. Read and practice CompVest's advice on how to pick a gun and then let her pick her own later on.

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Well made SOME progress I suppose. Did some dryfire practice in the bathroom. It was like teaching kid. Some good came out of it though but not sure how to get around it. She is afraid to get her hands pinched or hurt by the slide whether racking or releasing . Our day at the range maybe trumped by rain and finals (She is a student) we shall see. I built an m6 target stand . Why I have never built one for myself escapes me. I presented the cornered cat website and book with less than no interest.

I was also trying to get a new gun in the house from this!

Divided Attention
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Divided Attention »

JMPHO as a "female type" typically the harder someone tries to MAKE me like or do something, the more I am going to dig my heels in and resist. It is in most girls' I know natures to look at, stew over, ruminate if you will something of this nature.

I sure wish she were closer. Just had a "Girls Night Out" with our local "A Girl and A Gun" chapter and had a ball teaching new shooters. One had never even touched a gun before, when we were giving the safety briefing she had to ask what the muzzle was. I take so much of my little bit of knowledge for granted! (Thanks to Dad and MAR for all their patience in teaching me!) These ladies huge smiles when starting on the .22 and moving up from there to 9mm, 38 and .380 was awesome - they were great shots too! :clapping:

Sorry for the digression - I love sharing with others my hobby that so many of my female friends just "don't get".
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

stroguy

Post by stroguy »

That's funny, I always read the newspaper in the bathroom. And I never dryfire.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

1s1k52 wrote:Well made SOME progress I suppose. Did some dryfire practice in the bathroom. It was like teaching kid. Some good came out of it though but not sure how to get around it. She is afraid to get her hands pinched or hurt by the slide whether racking or releasing . Our day at the range maybe trumped by rain and finals (She is a student) we shall see. I built an m6 target stand . Why I have never built one for myself escapes me. I presented the cornered cat website and book with less than no interest.

I was also trying to get a new gun in the house from this!
Patience my man, patience. A woman cannot be rushed into anything and especially if they have a fear of whatever you're trying to push them towards. It sounds like your wife is in the same place my wife was in when we first met around 21 years ago. She remained in that place and I didn't push at all until after our daughter was born and someone attempted to gain access to our backyard despite our two Rottweilers trying to take their fingers off. Anyway, she suddenly saw the light and I had two Glocks and my CHL within 6-8 months or so. That was about ten years ago and she has even bought me two guns. A Henry .44mag Golden Boy and the G21SF on my hip at this very moment. If it was meant to be, she will come around.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

Divided Attention wrote:JMPHO as a "female type" typically the harder someone tries to MAKE me like or do something, the more I am going to dig my heels in and resist. It is in most girls' I know natures to look at, stew over, ruminate if you will something of this nature.

I sure wish she were closer. Just had a "Girls Night Out" with our local "A Girl and A Gun" chapter and had a ball teaching new shooters. One had never even touched a gun before, when we were giving the safety briefing she had to ask what the muzzle was.

What a grand idea, Divided! McKinney is reasonably close to Dallas Fort Worth and there's an A Girl and A Gun Club chapter starting up there. You can check out the website for contact information.

http://www.agirlandagunclub.com/dallasfort-worth.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Thanks for all the info. Yeah we are supposed to go tomorrow and wenesday. I haven't mentioned it much since. Pretty much leaving it up to her. We will see. I'll
Fill y'all in later

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

if you have some snaps (or whatever they're called) let her use those to practice with, show her the techniques then...leave her alone...either in the bathroom, or with her books, or the TV...but don't hover....I've had my LCP for a year now and my DH wants to watch me mess with it and it drives me crazy....and will end up with me messing up and getting my hand caught...just leave us alone! :banghead:

Now, I will say this, part of my husband's problem is he doesn't think I rack the slide "right", that's because I have very weak hands, but I've figured out a way that works for ME and "tough for him" as long as it works for me and doesn't get my hand caught I guess it's right for me. ;-)
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”