The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
polisci
Posts in topic: 4

Fees for CHL classes TOO expensive!

Post by polisci »

Dear Abby,

I should've posted this under my other topic, but I want fresh input and guidance. So please bear with me.

I have been through two CHL classes, one in Ohio and one in TX. Both were $100+. It seems that wherever I check, the fees are always $100-$150. Is this an unwritten rule somewhere that I don't know about?

I plan on becoming a CHL instructor (all paperwork and payment made). Problem is, I don't want to charge people that much. My goal is NOT to make money. I don't want to lose money, but more importantly, I want to get as many people as possible licensed to carry. I think this is very important and sends a very powerful message. I was considering charging people $40-$50 while holding large classes monthly.

Is this possible? if so, Why don't more instructors do this? (never-mind, it's for the money). If it is not possible, then why?

For the folks out there who are considering getting a CHL or a renewal, would a lower fee influence you or someone you know to get the CHL?

Struggling to understand in south TX.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Fees for CHL classes TOO expensive!

Post by Lambda Force »

Figure out your costs, then you can see how much to charge to make money or break even, depending on your goals.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

olafpfj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by olafpfj »

As someone who provides services for people you will find out very quickly that while you maybe altruistic, people will quickly take advantage of you. I think the $100-150 range separates the wheat from the chaff. At $40-50 you will be overwhelmed and quickly become resentful of your clients who don't understand your passion for "free" CHL training.

I am a stage hand and sound engineer and my greatest fear is that my kids school will find out what I do and take obscene advantage of my good nature. I've learned this lesson MANY times and it applies to anything one can do. It's not about the money, it's about not letting people take advantage of you. You will quickly learn the lesson the hard way.

PS...I'm not an instructor but the business model is the same.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Zylo_X
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zylo_X »

polisci wrote:Dear Abby,

I should've posted this under my other topic, but I want fresh input and guidance. So please bear with me.

... I was considering charging people $40-$50 while holding large classes monthly.

Is this possible? if so, Why don't more instructors do this? (never-mind, it's for the money). If it is not possible, then why?

For the folks out there who are considering getting a CHL or a renewal, would a lower fee influence you or someone you know to get the CHL?

Struggling to understand in south TX.
While I appreciate your view, I would caution against biting at the hand that feeds so many. I would imagine that as 'the instructor', you could set your own rate, but I don't think the current rate itself is the 'prohibition' in the process. I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to cite the quote I'm about to butcher, but basically the problem is in the bureaucracy that regulates and taxes (or fee) a right. Oh so many moons ago, before the laws were 'updated' in Florida, it was practically free. As a vet, small business owner, and working as a 'private security consultant' :coolgleamA: , it literally cost more in time to make copies of paperwork to submit than anything else. By no means am I attempting to minimize the great responsibilities involved, but I ask why the disparity in processes between the exercise of a right (2A/CHL), and the pursuit of a priviledge (DL)?? IMHO, the driver's license has become the de facto ID card, but does not require at least the same standard of validation (or fee) as a CHL applicant, and has no direct relation to a constitutional right, WHY?? (rhetorical question). While most things may be better here in Tx than in 49 other places, as the 'outsider looking in' for the past year and a half, I've come to the conclusion that the next license plate slogan should be "TEXAS - We ain't as bad as California, yet." I see the slow incremental 'progress' that has happened since I was stationed in SA in 1988, and moved to DFW in 2010. -- End of rant. Sorry.
The short answer to your last question... NO. Based on conversations with several people at work, a lower instructor fee would not "influence" the decision to get the CHL, but it would certainly 'facilitate' it's acquisition. I've had conversations at length, and know of at least 6 people that were definately going to 'do it', but since October it is now 'maybe January', or 'after tax refund'.
a.k.a: 2LOGICL - While I do not enjoy the misery of others, I do find comfort in it.

Topic author
polisci

Post by polisci »

You make a great point, but for only that I am hard-headed, I'd like to believe that "our type" of people are good natured and don't have mal-intentions. Nonetheless, if they are law abiding citizens and they pay my fee, are they taking advantage of me?

I do appreciate your concern though. BTW, my sons high school drama class is in great need........ LOL! sorry, couldn't pass it up.
“If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

Topic author
polisci

Post by polisci »

Thank you, that is exactly my point. They are having to wait until after tax refund. I want law abiding people, such as ourselves, to pile into a car and make the trip to take a class they would otherwise have to wait for to get extra money.
― Dalai Lama XIV

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Lambda Force »

To put it in perspective, it sounds like you're talking about a price difference equal to the cost of 3 or 4 boxes of .45 ACP or the cost of 3 or 4 entrees at a mid-range restaurant. For a license good for five years it's equal to a dollar a week.

I agree the class cost seems high for one day of classroom plus an hour on the range, but if $50 is the difference between your class and existing classes, I don't know how many people that will get off the fence when the state is charging $140 for the license.
Last edited by Lambda Force on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Topic author
polisci

Post by polisci »

The fact that the state is charging $140 for ordinary, non-veteran citizens is the very reason I wanted a low fee. Otherwise, one could pay upwards of $290 vs. $180or90. I'm not trying to rationalize my way of thinking, and I do appreciate all the comments, though I am still working it out in my mind.
― Dalai Lama XIV

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

As far as the class goes I think it is what your market can bear. If you can do it for less and other instructors in your market start seeing a decline in their class they will have to lower their prices in kind if they want to regain customers. Just simple economics, but it sounds like the question really is can you do it for less?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Also, unless you own your own building and shooting range, then you are going to have to rent the facilities. I bet they want a decent percentage of what you are bringing in.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

It's a free market. Charge what you believe is the right amount. Your customers will decide if it's a good value.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...I think it's admirable that you feel that way...perhaps you could start out just covering expenses and tell the class that they'll find an envelope in their paperwork...send you what they want if they want above the expenses after about six months...you'd find out quickly that most don't value their CHL as much as you value their having it...charging a fair value(I paid $139 for my first class) increases their commitment and increases the value they put into their license...

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

polisci wrote:My goal is NOT to make money.
How much do you value your own time?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

n5wd wrote:
A person can feel like their time is fully valued by their sense of satisfaction in accomplishing valued goals or performing good acts, not necessarily by the money earned. Just look at the millions of hours spent by church volunteers. . .
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

Jumping Frog wrote:
n5wd wrote:
A person can feel like their time is fully valued by their sense of satisfaction in accomplishing valued goals or performing good acts, not necessarily by the money earned. Just look at the millions of hours spent by church volunteers. . .
While that is true they also generally get a lot out of their time than just volunteer work. They get comraderie and a percieved moral uplift plus many other benefits. They way the work is generated is much different as well. The church or charity defines the work and then asks for voulunteers where as the OP is going the other way around.

While the OP would like to think that CHL candidates would be a generally respectful lot (I think they are) the problem comes when people start taking advantage of your time. If there isn't some sort of cost for people they won't hesitate to bombard you with every tiny whine for help. I think he will quickly find clients sticking him with all sorts of little annoyances like mailing their packets for them, spending way too much time on the phone answering questions, hand holding to ridiculous levels etc...

I will use my experience again to illustrate my point and I can see the same thing happening teaching CHL classes.

I started offer my services editing tracks for dance schools and putting their shows on a master show CD. My first "client" was a lady who did 3 recitals a year in my theatre and I did the work pro bono. I did fantastic work (if I do say so myself) and she began telling other schools and instructors. As I started to do more I began to charge a very small fee. A problem began to quickly emerge. It seemed that a given project would never end. I would get countless calls and emails about this and that. What color sharpie am I going to label the disc, so and so dropped out can you burn a new one, we need 2 counts out of track 6, can you drive over and drop that off, can you drive over and pick that up, and so on and so on. The project would never end. The problem was that since I was essentially free they had no respect for my time or good nature.

I began to raise my fee and began charging my original free client as well. Eventually I found the right price and suddenly my clients were much more respectful of my time and effort. It was a lesson in human nature. Since I didn't show respect for my time and effort by not charging, my clients didn't either. Until I found the right balance I had begun to grow extrememly resentful towards my clients, many of whom were friends and co workers.

As for a CHL class I'm sure people will be much more on the ball dotting I's and crossing T's themselves for a $150 class than those in a $40 class. The people from the "free" class will show little respect towards the instructors time and effort and require an inordinate amount of hand holding. I can see the calls now...."I lost my form can you get me another one?", "I'll be by to pick that up." (no show), and on and on.

If you charge too little your passion will get turned into a chore by the very people you're trying to serve.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

Return to “New to CHL?”