Thinking of getting my first 1911

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Thinking of getting my first 1911

Post by The Annoyed Man »

A-R wrote:STI Spartan. Best bang for the buck in features AND quality in that price range. And while the frame comes from Armscor in Philipines (nearly all 1911s in this price range come from overseas, including Springfields from Brazil) the rest of the gun is made and fitted right here in Georgetown, TX)

I'd rank it like this:

1. STI
2. Ruger (because it's all made in USA)
3. Springfield

everyone else
In the $700-800 range, which the OP mentioned, the lower end Kimbers are entirely US made too (if you count New York as part of the US, and not the UN), and even their lower end guns are pretty nice pistols. I don't own any STIs, but as much as I like my Springfield Loaded, my Kimber Stainless Ultra is a nicer gun and has a better trigger out of the box than the Springfield. My son did a fair amount of work in my Springfield's trigger to get it to feel close to the stock Kimber trigger. Although one is a 5" and the other a 3", they were both in the same price range brand new. I bought the Springfield used, but in very good condition for $650. NIB, MSRP was something like $980, despite being made in Brazil. I purchased the Kimber Stainless Ultra NIB for $929.00.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

healedknee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by healedknee »

If you shop around you can get Sig 1911's, Kimber Custom II's, Para Ord and other U.S. made M1911's in your price range. The Ruger seems to be a good bet as all of the reviews (pro and user) that I have read are favorable. They have been selling in the El Paso area for 700-750 out the door.

Topic author
RSJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RSJ »

Thanks for the help everyone, and Happy Thanksgiving!
Looks like people have as many opinions in different directions as there are for AR-15s :mrgreen:

I think I'll have to do some serious looking at Dallas Market Hall this weekend. I am also frantically searching black friday ads as well.
NRA Member

teraph

Post by teraph »

My first 1911 is one of the Remington 1911R1 and (even though I'm not the greatest shot) I can put a full mag and then some into a 12in circle at 25 yds with it without too many issues. And thats bout 1 round every sec or so. I paid a shade over 700 for it new in March
This We'll Defend

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

If anyone has issues with the Imbel (Brazil) produced Springfield parts, be careful what airlines you fly on for shorter flights. Chances are your aircraft was 100% made in Brazil ;-) Brazilian manufacturers have top notch QC.

Topic author
RSJ
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RSJ »

Well, I had finally made my mind up on a Springfield Range Officer. Looked around today and was about to purchase when a trade came up.
I ended up trading a pistol + cash for a "Springfield Champion .45"
Thanks for the help everyone! :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
NRA Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”