RISKY Business

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
doc540
Posts in topic: 4

RISKY Business

Post by doc540 »

Just an hour ago and after dark my wife and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping in a large, national chain.

As I was standing by the front door and as my wife was checking out....a young clerk was clearing out the registers and pushing a cart with thousands of dollars in plain sight.

No one seemed the least bit aware of what they were doing or the risk they were taking.

I said a quiet prayer that nothing would develop and I'd have to use the little, stainless Officers I was carrying under my shirt.

Good grief.....operating a business that way sure puts a lot of innocent employees, mostly kids, at a terrible risk. :nono:
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

lonewolf
Posts in topic: 1

Re: RISKY Business

Post by lonewolf »

Reminds me of the old days. Had to make occasional night deposits for a retailer (very shortly after getting my driver's license). Kind of creepy feeling. Always took a different route.....

Topic author
doc540

Post by doc540 »

lonewolf wrote:Reminds me of the old days. Had to make occasional night deposits for a retailer (very shortly after getting my driver's license). Kind of creepy feeling. Always took a different route.....
I hear ya.

Back in the '80's I owned a business and we had to make cash drops at 2-3am.

We never made them alone.

In fact, my security guy used to dismount from his motorcycle and stand armed in the light of the night drop.
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...seen the same thing last week...box in a buggy...I've seen 'em waggin' the bag like a football across the parking lot...familiarity breeds foolishness...they assume noone's watchin'...

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

Churches can be the worst with this! They used to carry the weekly tithe from the main church building to the church office in a plastic grocery bag... it was quite obvious the bag contained money. It was of course carried there alone by a little old lady too.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

All that matters is that they FEEL safe .... right? :banghead:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CC Italian »

When I was in college I was a manager at a retail chain and I remember taking over 12,000 dollars to a monday morning drop during the holidays. This was 10 years ago and many of the smaller food and non appliance retail stores still do this and do not have an armored service. They really should considering how easy it is to be a victim. All any robber needs to do is find out who the manager on duty is and they know who has the money when they leave in the middle of a shift. Luckily I was never robbed but another manager was at my store not more then two hours after I got off my shift by a 15 year old boy with a .22 lr pistol. Thankfully no one was hurt!

If I ever have to go back into retail management I will carry a deep concealed bug regardless of company policy. My life is worth more then 11-13 bucks an hour and almost all of these companies have the policy to just comply no matter what, no exceptions or you get fired! They are more worried about customers getting shot and getting sued then your safety!

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

I used to carry $100,000 in cash from the Payroll Office to the Bank on base. But they let me pack an M1911 or bring along a guard who did.
:evil2:
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

CC Italian
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CC Italian »

Come to think of it I remember the night deposit being so big once that I had such a hard time fitting it into the banks night drop! I always knew I could get robbed but man was I young and naive when I look back on it.

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

doc540 wrote:Just an hour ago and after dark my wife and I were doing our weekly grocery shopping in a large, national chain.

As I was standing by the front door and as my wife was checking out....a young clerk was clearing out the registers and pushing a cart with thousands of dollars in plain sight.

No one seemed the least bit aware of what they were doing or the risk they were taking.

I said a quiet prayer that nothing would develop and I'd have to use the little, stainless Officers I was carrying under my shirt.

Good grief.....operating a business that way sure puts a lot of innocent employees, mostly kids, at a terrible risk. :nono:

They are safe. I guess you missed the "No Robberies Allowed" sign. :nono:
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

When working for radio Shack in San Antonio, in the 1970's, we also had 3 of us make bank deposits..My manager, me, and my Colt 1917 revolver..came in handy a few times..The only time we were robbed at gunpoint is when upper management said I had to leave "Henry" in the car.."Henry"was the Colt. This was at the store..lost $200 of store money and 5 of my own..in the back, Jim had over 6k in cash and checks was counting, didn't come out and was unaware of the robbery. After that, "Henry" was close by form then on..Management be damned!! :banghead:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

hooknbullet

Post by hooknbullet »

During my CHL class, the instructor began chit-chatting with one of the students, and the guy says he wanted his CHL because he always carried cash, made big bank deposits, etc. etc. This guy was a complete open book. The conversation continued for a good 5 minutes & the guy answered all the questions freely.
Then the instructor dropped the bomb on the guy. He asked him, "do you realize that you just told a room full of strangers where you work, what kind of car you drive, where you bank, what time of day you make deposits, how much money you carry, and that you're unarmed?" Some people just don't get it.
Always Remember:
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
(I don't know who deserves credit for this quote, but I like it.)

Topic author
doc540

Post by doc540 »

One sure-fire way to avoid robberies is to put your deposit cash in an envelope marked, "JOB APPLICATIONS" in big letters. ;-)
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor

wharvey

Post by wharvey »

doc540 wrote:One sure-fire way to avoid robberies is to put your deposit cash in an envelope marked, "JOB APPLICATIONS" in big letters. ;-)
Good idea but management might get confused and during their daily trash toss throw out the wrong envelope.
Bill Harvey

License to Carry Handgun - Indiana, since Aug 1997
CHL - Texas, since Aug 2011

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

they might want the job apps more - TDL's and SS# can be worth more than a deposit.
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”