Somethin a little different

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Diz
Posts in topic: 1

Somethin a little different

Post by Diz »

Not only may you come in contact with a local or state LE, but you might run into federal LE when carrying.

While running down the coast about 7 miles out and after a long chain of events (which I won't go into here), I had to call the Coast Guard to come tow me in to Port O'Conner. On reaching port they performed a "courtesy inspection", something they do whenever someone comes in contact with them for any reason. Of course the first question asked was "do you have any weapons on board?" I replied sure and I also have a CHL. The coastie asked me where the weapon was and asked my buddy and I to wait topside while he went below to retreive it. After finishing the the "inspection" he told me that the weapon was on the bed and the rounds were in the kitchen sink.

The whole incident was professional and my hats off to the Coast Guard for saving my butt that day. Oh yeah, I also passed the inspection.

Thomas

Re: Somethin a little different

Post by Thomas »

Interesting.

I hope no rounds fell in the drain.

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

If you and your friend were topside during the inspection, and declared the weapon, why did they need to handle it all? Not to mention clearing it. Sounds like a needless opportunity for a ND by someone who probably isn't familiar with your weapon... but I'm sure you were "safer" after he cleared it.

fishman

Post by fishman »

The coast guard guys have always been very professional every time Iv'e had contact with them. I took a captain's license class with a coast guard captain, and these guys are all about safty. I would not worry if they wanted to "clear" my gun.
IANAL

bilgerat57
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bilgerat57 »

flechero wrote:If you and your friend were topside during the inspection, and declared the weapon, why did they need to handle it all? Not to mention clearing it. Sounds like a needless opportunity for a ND by someone who probably isn't familiar with your weapon... but I'm sure you were "safer" after he cleared it.
When the Coast Guard conducts an inspection of a vessel, there are virtually NO areas off limits to them. They can go anywhere they please for whatever reason they wish to use. The inspection is primarily a safety check, but they also look for any evidence of drug activity, immigration violation, or any violation of federal and/or state law. While I don't know this for a fact, I am quite sure they recorded the serial number and verified that the weapon was not stolen before they were too far away. The intent is not to oppress, but more in line of being thorough. I don't particularly care for the idea of anybody else handling my weapons, but I appreciate the manner in which they handled this incident. If it made them feel better to have the weapon unloaded, then the inspection will proceed faster and easier. Once they have departed, it doesn't take but a moment to re-load. Every boarding is documented, so if there is any question about the procedures used, the persons involved can be interviewed or held accountable. By and large, I have always found the 'Coasties' to be a good group to have on your side. You seldom hear about heavy-handed tactics as you do with many shore-side LEA. I believe I would have been content with the way the inspection was conducted, especially since they just helped me out of a bad situation. That's not a good area for having boat trouble! :thumbs2:
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

I have a friend and some family in the CG, so please don't mistake me for being anti CG. But they can record the serial number of a loaded gun safer than they can handle, unload (what may be a weapon in disrepair) and record a serial number. Especially since no one was hiding it (since it was declared- a criminal likely wouldn't declare a stolen gun) Not to mention he called them- so he could have thrown it overboard if it were stolen before they arrived. And the "people in question" were topside, presumably "covered" by the rest of the CG patrol.

I just think handling was unnecessary. I'm not "upset" by it, just don't understand their the need to risk it.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jimlongley »

I have to question why they felt the need to remove the rounds and separate them, sounds pretty heavy handed to me, maybe they are hiring from TSA.

I also have to question where they obtain the right to do such a search, without a warrant, just for having to tow in a disabled vessel.

And then there is recording the serial number, which is patently against the law.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

bilgerat57
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bilgerat57 »

Actually, nobody really knows for a fact that the serial numbers were recorded. Chances are pretty good that they were, but nobodys knows for sure. The USCG is allowed to board any vessel, any time for a safety inspection while that vessel is inside the territorial waters of the USA. That's part of what they do. I don't know how the law is worded that allows them to do this, but they can and do. A 'safety' inspection can be just a cursory look around the boat to be sure everyone has a lifejacket, or it can be a complete nightmare where they have the boat all but disassembled. It really doesn't pay to annoy them too much...... :nono:
A Gun in the hands of a bad man is a dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good man is a danger only to the bad man - Charlton Heston
The only time a Texan has a pinky out is to see if the chamber is empty in the dark. - SFC M. Merino US Army

maxlib

Post by maxlib »

bilgerat57 wrote:Actually, nobody really knows for a fact that the serial numbers were recorded. Chances are pretty good that they were, but nobodys knows for sure. The USCG is allowed to board any vessel, any time for a safety inspection while that vessel is inside the territorial waters of the USA. That's part of what they do. I don't know how the law is worded that allows them to do this, but they can and do. A 'safety' inspection can be just a cursory look around the boat to be sure everyone has a lifejacket, or it can be a complete nightmare where they have the boat all but disassembled. It really doesn't pay to annoy them too much...... :nono:
An inspection can also be as cursory as hailing an open vessel, observing that the lone occupant/captain has an inflatable PFD on and his engine kill lanyard attached and telling him to have a nice day(guess they figured that everything else would be covered as well). Then enquiring if he caught anything.

Happened to me four or five years ago in a "no wake" zone in Jacksonville Florida. They never even came totally alongside.
“No, that is the great fallacy; the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful”. Count Greffi, A Farewell To Arms, Ernest Hemmingway

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Still seems like a warrantless search to me, just as everybody gripes about TSA doing.

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

jimlongley wrote:Still seems like a warrantless search to me, just as everybody gripes about TSA doing.
Pretty much, except it's already accepted as the norm in the maritime industry. Maybe this is an example of how TSA will be in a decade?

I've scared people by just wearing coveralls that looked like the USCG's coveralls/uniform from a distance. :shock:

EDIT: "accept" changed to "except"
Last edited by Thomas on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Thomas wrote:
jimlongley wrote:Still seems like a warrantless search to me, just as everybody gripes about TSA doing.
Pretty much, accept it's already accepted as the norm in the maritime industry. Maybe this is an example of how TSA will be in a decade?

I've scared people by just wearing coveralls that looked like the USCG's coveralls/uniform from a distance. :shock:
So an unconstitutional search should be accepted just because that's the way it's always been done?

At least the TSA can argue that the airlines are a private entity and so on, but this is an invasion of private property without a warrant just because they can.

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

jimlongley wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Pretty much, accept it's already accepted as the norm in the maritime industry. Maybe this is an example of how TSA will be in a decade?

So an unconstitutional search should be accepted just because that's the way it's always been done?

At least the TSA can argue that the airlines are a private entity and so on, but this is an invasion of private property without a warrant just because they can.

Rent/buy a boat and go out for an afternoon on an area lake or other body of water and when the game warden/lake patrol/water patrol/Coast Guard, etc. comes up and boards, well, tell them to go away, lemme know how it works out for you. :biggrinjester: I do NOT agree with them being able to board/search without consent/probably cause, my vessel is my 2nd home (it really is). Things have definitely gone awry. Just because you are on the water it should NOT make a difference, just my nickel (inflation, ya know).

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

bilgerat57 wrote:Actually, nobody really knows for a fact that the serial numbers were recorded. Chances are pretty good that they were, but nobodys knows for sure. The USCG is allowed to board any vessel, any time for a safety inspection while that vessel is inside the territorial waters of the USA. That's part of what they do. I don't know how the law is worded that allows them to do this, but they can and do. A 'safety' inspection can be just a cursory look around the boat to be sure everyone has a lifejacket, or it can be a complete nightmare where they have the boat all but disassembled. It really doesn't pay to annoy them too much...... :nono:
Sure THEY can, but I'm not allowing the OBI to again.
I mean just because they had shirts on that say "Official Bikini Inspector ....and badges that said that too...
Fool me once shame on you ...
(kidding) :mrgreen:

<Pirate with fake badge emoticon smiley deal>
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

PUCKER wrote:
jimlongley wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Rent/buy a boat and go out for an afternoon on an area lake or other body of water and when the game warden/lake patrol/water patrol/Coast Guard, etc. comes up and boards, well, tell them to go away, lemme know how it works out for you. :biggrinjester: I do NOT agree with them being able to board/search without consent/probably cause, my vessel is my 2nd home (it really is). Things have definitely gone awry. Just because you are on the water it should NOT make a difference, just my nickel (inflation, ya know).
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I meant EXCEPT!!!!!!!

I would never in my right mind tell some one to "accept" that. Sorry :oops: :oops: :oops:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”