The arms room

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Thomas

Re: The arms room

Post by Thomas »

zero4o3 wrote:I went back to the arms room 10/1, have never had a problem in the past, but the younger girl working the front counter was not the friendliest person I have delt with, and it seems they have a new policy of holding all of your guns / bags behind the counter while you wait?
I don't think it's an advertised policy. Of course the last time I was there was earlier this spring, and they held on to my bag behind the front counter. I imagine they wouldn't want to advertise that service, because they didn't have a way to positively identify me as the owner of the bag when I picked it up. There was a different person there when I picked it up, so I just pointed and said that bag was mine. He gave me the bag without any hesitation :???:

sxd45
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sxd45 »

Usually they just flag the gun and let you carry it? I am over that place anyways, overpriced gear and most of the time out of stock anyways. A friend of mine had a weird experience with one of the RSO's, he pointed out some girls who my friend said looked like they were 15 and said what you think about that? My friend (who has a daughter) was quite offended.
Online App: 9/12/11
Fingerprints: 9/13/11
Class: 9/17/11
Mailed: 9/19/11
Manufacturing pending: 9/28/11
Manufacturing: 9/29/11
Mailed: 10/01/11
Plastic: 10/07/11

zero4o3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by zero4o3 »

Thomas wrote:
zero4o3 wrote:I went back to the arms room 10/1, have never had a problem in the past, but the younger girl working the front counter was not the friendliest person I have delt with, and it seems they have a new policy of holding all of your guns / bags behind the counter while you wait?
I don't think it's an advertised policy. Of course the last time I was there was earlier this spring, and they held on to my bag behind the front counter. I imagine they wouldn't want to advertise that service, because they didn't have a way to positively identify me as the owner of the bag when I picked it up. There was a different person there when I picked it up, so I just pointed and said that bag was mine. He gave me the bag without any hesitation :???:
same thing happened with me, I dont mind if they have a no backpacks in the shop rule, I can live with that but if I check in and have to wait and sit in your waiting room I would rather hold onto my own stuff, I had to tell them what all I had and they came out and showed me bags to make sure I had the right one. what would they have done had they given my stuff to some one else. I doubt they would replace $3000 worth of guns I couldnt prove I had in the bags.
sxd45 wrote:Usually they just flag the gun and let you carry it? I am over that place anyways, overpriced gear and most of the time out of stock anyways. A friend of mine had a weird experience with one of the RSO's, he pointed out some girls who my friend said looked like they were 15 and said what you think about that? My friend (who has a daughter) was quite offended.
I have never spent much time in the shop, I like the range because its well ventilated has good lighting and a lot of space.

This is actually the first time I have ever had a problem going there to shoot it may have been the first time I have waited for a lane also though

CaseyH

Post by CaseyH »

This is usually where we go to shoot - except when we take the guns that are too big for the range, then we go to an outdoor range. I have never had any issue with the employees. I was not a big fan of leaving my guns behind the counter while waiting for a lane this weekend. Like others said, all we had to do was point to which bags were ours. Anyone could walk out with our guns.

9/26/11 - Packet Mailed
9/28/11 - Packet Received in Austin
10/15/11 - CHL in hand

Piney

Post by Piney »

Quick comment-- FIrst of all, I'm all for safety--ESPECIALLY at a public range. Saying that, I thought I understood the concept of tieing one's firearm container closed, thus causing one to have to cut the tie in the stall. I'm not a fan of it but I have been there when doofuses begin fiddling with their firearm behind the line so.....

Its not consistant, and thus not fully understood by the counter staff. We were out there a bit back. Wife was asked to take her case out of her bag. It got a zip tie on the zipper. I thought they were to tie the bag *shrugs*

I was asked where my firearm was. I replied it was in the bag, expecting the tie-on-the-handle model. Instead, I was asked to remove my firearm from the bag and hand it to the young lady. Hang on a second-- if the point is to not handle a firearm off the line-- what's going on ? I pointed to the zipper and said its in this side. She insisted I remove the firearm or I didnt get to rent time. I opened the side, removed the firearm, pointing it off to her side, locked the slide back and laid it on the counter. The staff member picked it up, waving it about a bit while proceeding to zip tie it through the breach-grip. Once we reached my lane, the dikes there didnt cut. I had to use my knife :roll:

I am also concerned about their practice of asking patrons to leave their firearm bags behind the counter without some form of id. One of the posters here mentioned the fact that he was able to retrieve a bag with only pointing a finger at it. If that's what the managment feels they need to do, they should use a "coat check" model, providing the patron with a tag associated with their bag.

Otherwise-- pleasant experiences with the SO folks and others.

noosh9057

Post by noosh9057 »

I also love shooting here.
CHL Class 09//28/11
Fingerprints 10/04/11
Mailed 10/04/11
Received. 10/06/11
Background Check : Under review 10/15/11
Background Check : Completed 10/18/11
Manufacturing Pending 10/18/11
Manufacturing 10/19/11
Mailed 10/25/11
PLASTIC 10/28/11
Glock 17 9mm

XinTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by XinTX »

Yeah. I haven't been back since the last time they held mine either. I'm with others on here wondering how hard it would be for someone else to 'claim' my firearm. Especially when they get busy and there's a big crush of people at the counter and the phone is ringing. Just doesn't feel right to me.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

XinTX wrote:
Yeah. I haven't been back since the last time they held mine either. I'm with others on here wondering how hard it would be for someone else to 'claim' my firearm. Especially when they get busy and there's a big crush of people at the counter and the phone is ringing. Just doesn't feel right to me.
some one must have complained, last time I was up they where having you right your name on some piece of paper that they put on your bag, at least it makes you feel a little better. I opted to not tell them I had a bag and just sat with it in the waiting room like I normally would with out anyone coming and yelling at me

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

zero4o3 wrote:
XinTX wrote:
some one must have complained, last time I was up they where having you right your name on some piece of paper that they put on your bag, at least it makes you feel a little better. I opted to not tell them I had a bag and just sat with it in the waiting room like I normally would with out anyone coming and yelling at me
When I was there months ago, they didn't have any problem with me sitting in the waiting room with my bag. The only problem they had was taking your bag into the store portion of the building.

Oh, and now I finally have a use for the audio bug I bought! I'll plant it at the front desk, and when I hear someone leave a bag, I'll be sure to listen to the name being used... Just Kidding! I'll just peak over the counter and read the name instead.

ffemt300
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ffemt300 »

I was really impressed with the Arms Rooms. Took my CHL class there and I plan on going back with my wife for date night shoots! Friday nights, 2 shoot for the price of one!

Duck

Post by Duck »

XinTX wrote:Took my CHL class there with the MUCH better half. ONLY thing I didn't like about the place is that once done shooting, you have to take your guns and lock them in your car. NOT the best idea IMO. True they've had some yahoos take their guns out and 'fondle' them in the class. But with all the car break ins in that area, locking guns up in the car is NOT the best idea. It's a recipe for turning a 'bad guy' into an 'armed bad guy'. Won't take long before the hoods realize there are 'targets of opportunity' sitting out there.
You can leave your guns with the people at the rental counter if you don't want to put them in your vehicle.
6/18 Chl class
7/30 Received

alvins

Post by alvins »

what would they do about holding your bag if you have a silencer with you?thats not somthing they are legally able take control of.

Duck

Post by Duck »

alvins wrote:what would they do about holding your bag if you have a silencer with you?thats not somthing they are legally able take control of.
I don't know. Nobody brought one the day I took the class. I imagine they would let you keep that with you in the classroom. ;-)
6/18 Chl class
7/30 Received

Duck

Post by Duck »

ffemt300 wrote:I was really impressed with the Arms Rooms. Took my CHL class there and I plan on going back with my wife for date night shoots! Friday nights, 2 shoot for the price of one!
We were in the same class.
6/18 Chl class
7/30 Received

ffemt300
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ffemt300 »

Duck wrote: We were in the same class.
cool!

Return to “Shooting Ranges”