Remington UMC Squib

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

fulano
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Remington UMC Squib

Post by fulano »

I haven't been to Top Gun since I left Houston in 1999. I used to go there quite often. It was a well run and very professional range during the 90's. I can imagine that it has changed though.

My ammo "yikes" moments have been with Winchester USA (aka white box). My 9mm chambered a round that wouldn't seat or eject. The bullet had been set at an angle before it was seated during manufacturing and bulged the brass so that it stuck in my chamber thus making extraction a hair raising event.

Glad you caught the bad round before chambering another round and firing into the blocked bore.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Topic author
rusty86
Posts in topic: 13

Post by rusty86 »

fulano wrote: My ammo "yikes" moments have been with Winchester USA (aka white box). My 9mm chambered a round that wouldn't seat or eject. The bullet had been set at an angle before it was seated during manufacturing and bulged the brass so that it stuck in my chamber thus making extraction a hair raising event.
I assumed you are talking about the plain white box (FMJ). I picked up a box of .40S&W Winchester "Personal Protection" Hollow-point the other day - also in a white box. Has anybody shot any of that? I've shot about half of it with no problems but want to be real sure of it before I carry it...

fulano

Post by fulano »

rusty86 wrote:
fulano wrote: My ammo "yikes" moments have been with Winchester USA (aka white box). My 9mm chambered a round that wouldn't seat or eject. The bullet had been set at an angle before it was seated during manufacturing and bulged the brass so that it stuck in my chamber thus making extraction a hair raising event.
I assumed you are talking about the plain white box (FMJ). I picked up a box of .40S&W Winchester "Personal Protection" Hollow-point the other day - also in a white box. Has anybody shot any of that? I've shot about half of it with no problems but want to be real sure of it before I carry it...
Yes, I refer to the range ammo in the white box.

When I buy ammo, I buy the 100 per box Winchester FMJ manufactured for the range; I like the quality of the brass for reloading.

The main issue with personal protection ammo would be your gun's ability to feed it well. I'd worry less about it reliability. I dont shoot much of my PP ammo as it is very expensive. When I first buy a gun for carry, I make sure it feeds well with a box of 20, then I use range ammo after that....I am pretty cheap when it comes to shooting at the range.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Topic author
rusty86

Post by rusty86 »

fulano wrote:
rusty86 wrote:
Yes, I refer to the range ammo in the white box.

When I buy ammo, I buy the 100 per box Winchester FMJ manufactured for the range; I like the quality of the brass for reloading.

The main issue with personal protection ammo would be your gun's ability to feed it well. I'd worry less about it reliability. I dont shoot much of my PP ammo as it is very expensive. When I first buy a gun for carry, I make sure it feeds well with a box of 20, then I use range ammo after that....I am pretty cheap when it comes to shooting at the range.
I agree - I shoot the cheapest I can find when it comes to range ammo (to a certain extent)... For PP ammo, I just want to shoot it enough to make sure everything goes ok and build my confidence in it. It's too expensive to shoot too much. Hopefully I won't need it in a "real" situation, but if I do, I want it to go BANG.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

NcongruNt wrote:
Thomas wrote: Winchester Ammunition: 1 (800) 356-2666
If only you had been around 3 years ago:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20952" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Where did you happen to come upon this information?
FWIW...
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7812_image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
rusty86

Post by rusty86 »

Received a package in the mail yesterday from Remington. A full replacement box (250 round count) of UMC 40 S&W ammo. They also included a letter that said the following:

We have reviewed the 187 unfired rounds of Remington L40SW3A ammunition that you returned associated with your report of a bullet lodged in the barrel of your firearm. Our ballistic lab tested the ammunition for velocity and pressure and the rounds did meet our specifications. The lab could not confirm from their testing why the bullet lodged in the barrel of your firearm.
We do work hard to provide quality products to all of our customers. We actually test fire ammunition with both velocity and pressure test guns, and target type firearms every shift. We are sorry you had a problem with this ammunition and apologize for the inconvenience.
I have enclosed a fresh box of Remington L40SW3A ammunition to replace the rounds you returned. We appreciate you choosing Remington and thank you for allowing us to examine your ammunition.

I was not able to find the casing of the "squib" bullet due to being in a shooting range and there were countless casings on the ground. I wonder if they would have found anything had I been able to send that back in.

However, I am very happy that they replaced the entire box and made it correct. Good job to Remington.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

rusty86 wrote:Received a package in the mail yesterday from Remington. A full replacement box (250 round count) of UMC 40 S&W ammo. They also included a letter that said the following:

We have reviewed the 187 unfired rounds of Remington L40SW3A ammunition that you returned associated with your report of a bullet lodged in the barrel of your firearm. Our ballistic lab tested the ammunition for velocity and pressure and the rounds did meet our specifications. The lab could not confirm from their testing why the bullet lodged in the barrel of your firearm.
We do work hard to provide quality products to all of our customers. We actually test fire ammunition with both velocity and pressure test guns, and target type firearms every shift. We are sorry you had a problem with this ammunition and apologize for the inconvenience.
I have enclosed a fresh box of Remington L40SW3A ammunition to replace the rounds you returned. We appreciate you choosing Remington and thank you for allowing us to examine your ammunition.

I was not able to find the casing of the "squib" bullet due to being in a shooting range and there were countless casings on the ground. I wonder if they would have found anything had I been able to send that back in.

However, I am very happy that they replaced the entire box and made it correct. Good job to Remington.
I guess you had one of those "one in a million" rounds.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”