Easy Breezy - State Fair 2011

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Easy Breezy - State Fair 2011

Post by Dragonfighter »

Went yesterday, got my ticket, walked up to a wander and said CHL, she cheerfully says okay and walked me up to the cop. No warnings about Old Mill or cotton Bowl, just a, "Have a good day." I can't wait until next Tuesday when myself,wife, daughter and son-in-law ALL show up at the same time with CHLs :mrgreen:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Easy Breezy - State Fair 2011

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Nice. Glad to hear that. Hoping I get the same treatment next week.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

And, the Old Mill is a <51% (SIGN=BLUE) location, so the info the cops were stating last year was incorrect. That is unless they are 30.06 posted.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Keith B wrote:And, the Old Mill is a <51% (SIGN=BLUE) location, so the info the cops were stating last year was incorrect. That is unless they are 30.06 posted.
They are not.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Dragonfighter wrote:
Keith B wrote:And, the Old Mill is a <51% (SIGN=BLUE) location, so the info the cops were stating last year was incorrect. That is unless they are 30.06 posted.
They are not.
And they are on property owned by the city of Dallas anyway.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Nice to hear about the lack of a hassle or announcement of your presence. I hope it goes well for all of us this year. We'll probably be going next weekend.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

gemini

Post by gemini »

Dragonfighter wrote:Went yesterday, got my ticket, walked up to a wander and said CHL, she cheerfully says okay and walked me up to the cop. No warnings about Old Mill or cotton Bowl, just a, "Have a good day." I can't wait until next Tuesday when myself,wife, daughter and son-in-law ALL show up at the same time with CHLs :mrgreen:
Thanks for this info. I passed on going last year....... I was worn out from previous business there.
Interesting how the BigTex website has changed it's policy and wording regarding CHL's.
Wife and I will attend before the end of next week.
To those on this board who were instrumental in getting the changes to State Fair policy, thank you.
You know who you are.

AEA

Post by AEA »

From their website:

"May I Bring...a gun? No, with one exception.

A person holding a valid Texas Concealed Handgun License (or valid CHL from a reciprocating state) is permitted to enter onto State Fair property with his/her concealed handgun; provided, however, that CHL holders will not be permitted to carry their concealed handgun inside the Cotton Bowl Stadium, a facility defined under Texas Penal Code §46.035 as "the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place." Note that the Fair does not provide lockers for the storage or checking of weapons for CHL holders, so if you plan to attend a game or event in the Cotton Bowl, please secure your weapon at home or in your vehicle prior to entering the fairgrounds. We want the Fair to be a fun and safe experience."

Really good to see they realized that they cannot make laws ("Policy") as they wish and must observe and obey the Laws of the Great State of Texas! :cheers2: :txflag:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

AEA wrote:From their website:

... CHL holders will not be permitted to carry their concealed handgun inside the Cotton Bowl Stadium, a facility defined under Texas Penal Code §46.035 as "the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place."
Even this needs to be re-worded, to add "during the game". Armed access to the stadium is only barred during the actual sporting event. If you had business there anytime before or after the game, you would be good to go - armed.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Arrived there about 1100 this morning, free Thursday for senior citizens, walked up to the gate and told the wander that I was a CHL holder. He waved me over to another "security" person, who asked if I had a CHL, and then told me I had to use "that gate over there" and the proceeded to shout to the other gate, maybe 100 feet away - "Got a weapon here!"

At the other gate, they asked me if I had a CHL and was I carrying a weapon, and when I confirmed each, she waved me through.

Took a picture of the TABC Blue sign on the Old Mill, but I don't see much point in posting it.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

I think I would be getting the security guys name and having a talk with his supervisor about that loud weapon comment.
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

hobbes

Post by hobbes »

I went there Thursday with my wife, baby, and cousin. Free senior day means the electric scooters outnumber the baby strollers, but I was pushing the stroller with my son inside as we went throug security. I realized that unlike last year, when only random people were wanded, everyone was getting wanded. I was about to mention my CHL when I was quickly wanded. The wand beeped, the security guard said, "OK," and I went through, a bit surprised that they didn't pick up the Walther 9mm in my cargo shorts pocket, or the spare clip in the pocket on the other side. After we were through, my wife was commenting on the effectiveness of their screening! I guess a 30-something pushing a stroller doesn't look like much of a threat! It does make you rethink the effectiveness of the screening at places that are supposedly gun-free....

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

hobbes wrote:I went there Thursday with my wife, baby, and cousin. Free senior day means the electric scooters outnumber the baby strollers, but I was pushing the stroller with my son inside as we went throug security. I realized that unlike last year, when only random people were wanded, everyone was getting wanded. I was about to mention my CHL when I was quickly wanded. The wand beeped, the security guard said, "OK," and I went through, a bit surprised that they didn't pick up the Walther 9mm in my cargo shorts pocket, or the spare clip in the pocket on the other side. After we were through, my wife was commenting on the effectiveness of their screening! I guess a 30-something pushing a stroller doesn't look like much of a threat! It does make you rethink the effectiveness of the screening at places that are supposedly gun-free....
Exactly! And there were a few folks on here that mentioned they received the same level of service, while carrying a full size .45 on their hip.

This year, when we go, I'll wait and see if the "wander" discovers anything and then say I need to see an officer.

GrandSporTA

Post by GrandSporTA »

jimlongley wrote:Arrived there about 1100 this morning, free Thursday for senior citizens, walked up to the gate and told the wander that I was a CHL holder. He waved me over to another "security" person, who asked if I had a CHL, and then told me I had to use "that gate over there" and the proceeded to shout to the other gate, maybe 100 feet away - "Got a weapon here!"

At the other gate, they asked me if I had a CHL and was I carrying a weapon, and when I confirmed each, she waved me through.

Took a picture of the TABC Blue sign on the Old Mill, but I don't see much point in posting it.
I am surprised they asked if you were carrying a weapon and you answered. That really isn't any of their business. Next time, don't answer the question. Only tell them you have a CHL.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP
Students for Campus Carry

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

GrandSporTA wrote:
jimlongley wrote:Arrived there about 1100 this morning, free Thursday for senior citizens, walked up to the gate and told the wander that I was a CHL holder. He waved me over to another "security" person, who asked if I had a CHL, and then told me I had to use "that gate over there" and the proceeded to shout to the other gate, maybe 100 feet away - "Got a weapon here!"

I am surprised they asked if you were carrying a weapon and you answered. That really isn't any of their business. Next time, don't answer the question. Only tell them you have a CHL.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but the first two were only told that I had a CHL, the last asked if I had a CHL, and I answered in an affirmative manner, and then asked was I "carrying a weapon" and I confirmed in a kind of non-commital affirmative way ("Yuh"), which was true, since I had several on me, but never asked if I was carrying a gun.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”