What's your EDC knife?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

bnc
Posts in topic: 1

Re: What's your EDC knife?

Post by bnc »

Kershaw Leek because it is slim, well made, opens easily, and affordable.

fulano
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fulano »

I think a knife blade needs to be smooth.

How do you sharpen the serrated blades?

A knife that is not sharp is dangerous. If a knife can't be sharpened because the metal is too hard or the blade it too complicated, it probably will be carried dull after a few uses.

Also, on carrying.....I've got a drawer full of older knives but they are old designs; some for pocket carry, some with a belt scabert and don't have clips to hold them at the ready in my pocket. Love my CRKT, great finish, great metal, secure clip, opens well, locks securely.....
Attachments
CRM16.jpg
CRM16.jpg (7.34 KiB) Viewed 2121 times
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I go between two.

One is my Leatherman Wave, which technically is a mlti-tool, and not a knife, per se.

The second one is a Cold Steel medium Voyager with a clip point, not the Tanto.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

I pretty much always have a CRKT Bear Claw on me:

Except for the next ten days, that is, because I'll be in CA visiting my parents, sister, and brother-in-law; and meeting my 2 month-old niece.

CA bans CCing any fixed blade knife, and any shirt easily conceals it because I've got its sheath bound to my belt. Now I'll cheerfully look the senior VP of HR directly in the eyes and tell her, "It's a 'box opening device', not a knife", if I get questioned about violating the "no weapons" policy at work, but I don't think that'd fly with any of the cops in the SF bay area. Oddly enough state law says you can CC a folding knife of any length, though local municipalities can pass their own restrictions.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

thelurker
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thelurker »

I carry the Benchmade 940 Osborne. Wish I would've gone for the full straight edge instead of the half serrated, but this is probably the best knife I've ever owned.

TSRA Life Member/NRA Endowment Member/Veteran

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

My Benchmade. It's some special Mel Pardue limited something or another, used to say on the blade but I sanded the black finish off. Best knife I've ever owned. Had to give a quarter for it!
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

karder

Post by karder »

Day to day I carry a cold steel scimitar with a serrated blade. I have been carrying it for years now and use it everyday for everything from heavy duty cutting to slicing my sandwich at lunch. Besides my phone, it is probably the most reached for item I carry. Not to mention at least twice a day, someone on my work crew asks, "can I borrow your knife" because they don't bother to carry their own. It never ceases to amaze me why full grown men don't bring the necessary tools to the job. New generation I guess. I just shake my head at the twentysomething guys who don't have any tools with them, but have always a can of Axe Body spray in their locker!!!
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
paulhailes wrote:
Get an folding pocket knife that doesn't lock open, doesn't SA only mention a folding knife that locks?

Cannot be under 5.5" and lock

Don't you mean OVER 5.5"? otherwise no knives can be carried. Just my opinion.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

Reloader wrote:DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
paulhailes wrote:
Get an folding pocket knife that doesn't lock open, doesn't SA only mention a folding knife that locks?

Cannot be under 5.5" and lock

Don't you mean OVER 5.5"? otherwise no knives can be carried. Just my opinion.
San Antonio has a really bad law that states you cant have you cant have a blade under 5.5 that locks open. Combined with the State law it makes it almost impossible to carry a knife.

Reloader

Post by Reloader »

When I lived in SA they put this through and publicly stated at the time it was to give probable cause to stop gang members not businessmen. So what happened? at the NIOSA celebration and ganger shot someone with a replica Colt Dragoon black powder pistol tucked in his belt...go figure.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor
Amateur radio Instructor, VE KE5LDO
Tarleton State University '74

txjim42

Post by txjim42 »

I reckon I'm old-school... I've been carrying this bad-boy for around 30 years and it hasn't let me down yet. Yes, I've used every tool on there for the intended use as well as a few unintended uses. :txflag:
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace.
Thomas Paine

fulano

Post by fulano »

AndyC wrote:
fulano wrote:I think a knife blade needs to be smooth.

How do you sharpen the serrated blades?
With a serrated edge sharpener - it's not hard.

I like serrations - they allow you to saw through heavy material without sacrificing the fine edge of the rest of the blade.
Looks like it would be like sharpening a chain saw, right?

A search found this one
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

Kershaw/Zero Tolerance 350CB Limited ed. #790 (of 1000 I think)
zt350cb.jpg
Not particularly small, but it'll get the job done.

Return to “Off-Topic”