What's your EDC knife?

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Medic624
Posts in topic: 4

What's your EDC knife?

Post by Medic624 »

Im thinking about getting a new EDC knife and was wondering...

What's your Favorite EDC knife and why?

I had been carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion BLUR which I loved! I lost it and have been carrying a SOG ll (Christmas gift) which I'm not in the LEAST bit impressed. It is flimsy, one day fishing at the beach with it and it's now all rusted, the "safety" is a pain and the open assist is slow and cumbersome.

:patriot: :txflag: :patriot:
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What's your EDC knife?

Post by gigag04 »

Benchmade AFO II auto open (push button) Tanto.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

karl

Post by karl »

I use a cheap Gerber folder. Just used as a tool.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

SATX-Scrub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SATX-Scrub »

I'd be interested in finding a new knife myself. I've been carrying the same old serrated Gerber that I bought at the AAFES in Korea in 1988. I keep thinking to myself, if I sharpen this one more time it'll make a nice toothpick. Anyway, post away, I'm actually looking at the Gerber Remix from BassPro unless anyone talks me out of it.
“He looked like an accountant or a serial-killer type. Definitely one of the service industries.”
― Kinky Friedman, Elvis, Jesus, and Coca-Cola
http://atomicnumber13.blogspot.com/

fulano

Post by fulano »

Love this knife. You can really put a good edge on it and it opens fast with an index finger assist and a flip.
http://www.crkt.com/M16-01-EDC-ZytelHan ... _id=898283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by fulano on Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

AEA
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AEA »

I too carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur (Red) 1670RD.
Why not get another one?
Attachments
Kershaw-Blur-1670RD-600x600.gif
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

ELB

Post by ELB »

For utility work a Kabar that is a clone of the Buck 110 style. I also carry a Cold Steel Spartan. One of the nice things about Cold Steel is that they generally have good solid locks on their folders, especially if it has that Triad lock (like the Spartan). The Spartan at least also comes with ambi pocket clips, which is nice. Amazon has good prices on Cold Steel stuff.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
Medic624
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Medic624 »

AEA wrote:I too carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Blur (Red) 1670RD.
Why not get another one?
Oh, I am not opposed to buying another one... I'm just curious as to what ppl carry and if anything out there is as good or maybe better in a similar price point.
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam (AMDG)
It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.
George Washington

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

gigag04 wrote:Benchmade AFO II auto open (push button) Tanto.
I know you are a LEO so you can carry that knife but wouldn't that be illegal for the rest of us?
TPC 46.01 wrote:...(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force. The term does not include a knife that has a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and open the knife.
Reason I ask is cause apparently my knives are illegal in SA so I am trying to figure out a new knife that I can legally carry there :mad5

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
I know you are a LEO so you can carry that knife but wouldn't that be illegal for the rest of us?
TPC 46.01 wrote:...(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath and that opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle or opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force. The term does not include a knife that has a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and open the knife.
Reason I ask is cause apparently my knives are illegal in SA so I am trying to figure out a new knife that I can legally carry there :mad5
Get an folding pocket knife that doesn't lock open, doesn't SA only mention a folding knife that locks?

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

For a long time, I carried a Kershaw Tanto Blur. But more lately, I've been carrying a CRKT M21-14DSFG: http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces- ... Veff-Combo

Dimensions
  • Open Overall Length 9.25 inches
    Closed Length 5.25 inches
    Weight 6.1 ounces
Blade
  • Length 3.875 inches
    Thickness 0.14 inches
    Material 8Cr14MoV
    Blade-HRC 58-59
    Finish Titanium Nitride
    Grind Hollow
    Style Deep-Bellied Spear Point
    Edge Veff Serrations
Handle
  • Material G10
    Liner 2CR13
Lock
  • Type: Locking Liner
    Safety System: AutoLAWKS
Carry
  • Carry System: 4 Position Clip
Features
  • Flipper: Yes
This knife does not have the assisted opening feature like the Kershaw does, but it does flick open quite readily. It has a double lock, using both a liner lock and their "AutoLAWKS" safety switch to ensure that the blade cannot be unlocked accidentally. Holes in the hilts enable it to be lashed to a pole and used as the point of a spear. The "Veff" serrations are much sharper than any others I've ever seen before....absolutely amazing. Check out the video below:
[youtube][/youtube]

(Edited to add link to above knife, and size information....)
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

DONT TREAD ON ME

paulhailes wrote:Get an folding pocket knife that doesn't lock open, doesn't SA only mention a folding knife that locks?
Cannot be under 5.5" and lock.

paulhailes

Post by paulhailes »

DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
paulhailes wrote:Get an folding pocket knife that doesn't lock open, doesn't SA only mention a folding knife that locks?
So just get one that doesn't lock, that is a really dumb law by the way I feel for you.

DONT TREAD ON ME

paulhailes wrote:
DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
So just get one that doesn't lock, that is a really dumb law by the way I feel for you.
It is a horrible law. They also claim that a knife that locks is a fixed blade knife :banghead:

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
To carry? Yes. To own? no.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “Off-Topic”