Dallas Zoo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dallas Zoo

Post by Keith B »

lowracer wrote:Just FYI, I got an email response back from Mr Doug Dykman, the Zoo's Deputy Director for Operations and Facilities. He says the Dallas Zoo falls under 46.03(1) (any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted) and 46.035 (5) Amusement Park.
Well, unless they have amusement RIDES, then they don't fit the amusement park portion. And, the any grounds has been interpreted to be property under control of the school, not just where school kids happen to show up, so IMO he is wrong and if I go, I will carry.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rp_photo »

Keith B wrote:Well, unless they have amusement RIDES, then they don't fit the amusement park portion. And, the any grounds has been interpreted to be property under control of the school, not just where school kids happen to show up, so IMO he is wrong and if I go, I will carry.
This is a prime example of why it can be bad to ask. The uninformed zoo director has now been put on alert that people want to carry there, which could lead to further postings and increased scrutiny.

Know the law and carry quietly and confidently.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I am just now seeing this but have a similar dilemma in SA with the AT&T center.

Below is my thoughts from another thread...
DONT TREAD ON ME wrote:
(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
I read the portion in red as saying that if the property is owned or leased by a governmental entity then 30.06 does not apply regardless who posts it. The key part to me is the "or leases". it is clear to me that if the property is owned or leased by a governmental entity it cannot be posted 30.06, period. But again I am not a lawyer and this is just my simple mind's understanding.
Since Dallas owns the zoo and the property they cannot put up a 30.06 sign and legally enforce it. The penal code does not say anything about "unless it is operated by another entity" or "under the control of another entity" or anything of the like.

Keith B is correct with the amusement park and school grounds information.

I think that it is very clear that if the property is owned or leased by a governmental agency then they cannot post and legally enforce 30.06.

IANAL and according to my wife have been wrong before.

lowracer

Post by lowracer »

Keith B wrote:Well, unless they have amusement RIDES, then they don't fit the amusement park portion. And, the any grounds has been interpreted to be property under control of the school, not just where school kids happen to show up, so IMO he is wrong and if I go, I will carry.
He specifically mentioned the merry-go-round and the monorail, and the pony and camel rides.

lowracer

Post by lowracer »

rp_photo wrote:
This is a prime example of why it can be bad to ask. The uninformed zoo director has now been put on alert that people want to carry there, which could lead to further postings and increased scrutiny.

Know the law and carry quietly and confidently.
The fact that he's posted some attempt at 30.06 signage means he's already aware that people want to carry there. Anyway I'd like someone to explain how the zoo is not an amusement park and if someone has a reference for the interpretation of "property under control of the school," I'd like to see that. Was that case law or something else?

lowracer

Post by lowracer »

OK I'm not a lawyer but I did some digging into the law. The zoo may in fact be an amusement park but under 30.06(e) they can't post it with a 30.06 sign. And an amusement park has to be posted 30.06 in order for 46.035(b)(5) to apply, see 46.035(i).

The only thing they have left to stand on is the school sponsored activity thing but I suspect that "intentionally, knowingly, recklessly" clause of 46.03 would apply, and if you went in carrying and there wasn't for example a huge banner saying SCHOOL FIELD TRIP DAY, then you would have no intent to carry into the prohibited school sponsored activity and thus no violation of 46.03.

I'm still going to press for them to remove the signs.

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

lowracer wrote:The only thing they have left to stand on is the school sponsored activity thing but I suspect that "intentionally, knowingly, recklessly" clause of 46.03 would apply, and if you went in carrying and there wasn't for example a huge banner saying SCHOOL FIELD TRIP DAY, then you would have no intent to carry into the prohibited school sponsored activity and thus no violation of 46.03.

I'm still going to press for them to remove the signs.
The school event thing is bull IMHO and just another example of going after our rights under the guise of protecting children.

If the powers that be really cared about children, they'd want the good guys carrying around them whenever possible.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Now I am not a lawyer but the school thing sounds like bull to me, too.

If any place a school field trip may go is off limits, where does that end? If I'm carrying in the local McDonald's and a school field trip stops in there to eat on the way to their destination, am I suddenly in violation? That's the implication from the zoo saying you can't carry because schools hold field trips there.

I would think you can't carry at the location IF YOU'RE PART OF THE FIELD TRIP as a teacher or parent chaperone, etc. Making it a criminal offense for someone who isn't part of the field trip to carry some place he may be that a school sponsored activity happens to show up to makes absolutely no sense to me.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Just got home from the Dallas zoo. Parked in the south lot and entered through the south gate. Almost didn't even see this until my wife pointed it out. It's not blatantly obvious, but noticable. On the left fence of the entrance. However, it's obviously non-compliant, so I walked right on by.
zoo2.jpg
Lettering way to small. Only 1/2 inch. I did measure with my iPhone ruler.
Last edited by Bulldog1911 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

What I think is funny is that someone makes signs that have the correct wording in English and Spanish, but are too small and are making money off of places that put these up that don't know any better.

However, the sad part about this is if there is an officer or chief or DA that says they are close enough.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bulldog1911

Post by Bulldog1911 »

C-dub wrote:What I think is funny is that someone makes signs that have the correct wording in English and Spanish, but are too small and are making money off of places that put these up that don't know any better.

However, the sad part about this is if there is an officer or chief or DA that says they are close enough.
Yah. The theory I threw out there was this...Since they are government property, they know they can not legally post a 30.06. So, they put something that is as close as possible(but not actually compliant) in an effort to deter CHL's from bringing fireamrs in. And it probably works fairly well.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johnson0317 »

Bulldog1911 wrote:Just got home from the Dallas zoo. Parked in the south lot and entered through the south gate. Almost didn't even see this until my wife pointed it out. It's not blatantly obvious, but noticable. On the left fence of the entrance. However, it's obviously non-compliant, so I walked right on by.
zoo2.jpg
Lettering way to small. Only 1/2 inch. I did measure with my iPhone ruler.
In addition, it is missing the Spanish part of it. Maybe we need to copy off PC 30.06, by itself, and keep a copy in our wallet. That way, when we rightly ignore signs like that, and we somehow end up on the wrong side of the law, we can at least pull that paper out. Even if it does not serve as enough proof for the officer, maybe it will, at least, cause him to check it out before bringing you on in.

My wallet is one of those aluminium ones, and it would not fit, but just a thought.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PappaGun »

johnson0317 wrote: In addition, it is missing the Spanish part of it.

RJ
No habla Ingles
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

boba

Post by boba »

Bulldog1911 wrote:Yah. The theory I threw out there was this...Since they are government property, they know they can not legally post a 30.06. So, they put something that is as close as possible(but not actually compliant) in an effort to deter CHL's from bringing fireamrs in. And it probably works fairly well.
Unless a new law was passed this year, it's not illegal for them to post the sign, but the sign is not valid notice for the 30.06 law.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

boba wrote:
Bulldog1911 wrote:Yah. The theory I threw out there was this...Since they are government property, they know they can not legally post a 30.06. So, they put something that is as close as possible(but not actually compliant) in an effort to deter CHL's from bringing fireamrs in. And it probably works fairly well.
Unless a new law was passed this year, it's not illegal for them to post the sign, but the sign is not valid notice for the 30.06 law.
You know it. We know it. They may know it. But, they don't care.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”