Dallas Zoo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Dallas Zoo

Post by BrianSW99 »

And don't forget that within the last couple of years there's been a fatal incident at the Dallas Zoo between an escaped gorilla and Zoo visitors. Not just the people you have to worry about...

speedsix
Posts in topic: 3

Post by speedsix »

...yeah, I forgot that one...for once it was the monkey up to monkey business...he'd prolly say he learned it watching us hoomins...

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Post by i8godzilla »

Went Saturday. Did not see any signs on my way in nor inside. Noticed there was a DPD officer at the gorilla exhibit. Had a chat with him about the gorillas--guess there is always an armed officer there. Wished him a good day and walked away without having to adjust my holster. :mrgreen:
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

mgood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mgood »

You didn't ask what kind of ammo he uses for gorillas?

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dragonfighter »

mgood wrote:You didn't ask what kind of ammo he uses for gorillas?
The same you would for zombies except if you shoot a gorilla in the head, it just makes 'em mad. :biggrinjester:
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Texas Size 11
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texas Size 11 »

I went to the zoo today and saw this for the first time by the member services kiosk when entering (give me a minute to figure out how to get the photo to work).

Obviously non-compliant.

Also noted it says the following on the website:

"The Dallas Zoo is owned by the City of Dallas and managed by Dallas Zoo Management, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization"

I don't see how they can even restrict carry even if the sign was compliant.
Never pet a burning dog...

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

mgood wrote:You didn't ask what kind of ammo he uses for gorillas?
I seem to remember my DPD Sergeant friend telling me that the police keep one or two high powered rifles on hand for those big beasties now. Unless this guy had one near by I don't think anything he had in a holster was going to do much good.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

Texas Size 11 wrote:I went to the zoo today and saw this for the first time by the member services kiosk when entering (give me a minute to figure out how to get the photo to work).

Obviously non-compliant.

"The Dallas Zoo is owned by the City of Dallas and managed by Dallas Zoo Management, Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization"

They've certainly put in more effort than the last time I was there. Before they had a sign that looked like it was printed out on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. They still didn't get it right. And they're still owned by the City of Dallas.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

BrianSW99 wrote:
Texas Size 11 wrote:I went to the zoo today and saw this for the first time by the member services kiosk when entering (give me a minute to figure out how to get the photo to work).

Obviously non-compliant.

They've certainly put in more effort than the last time I was there. Before they had a sign that looked like it was printed out on an 8.5x11 sheet of paper. They still didn't get it right. And they're still owned by the City of Dallas.
Not enough effort to post in Spanish too...
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

lowracer

Post by lowracer »

The sign is still there and now there's a Spanish language version posted underneath. I have reported the sign to the Dallas 311 system for code compliance to come out and take it down. Anyone else want to report this sign? Lets get this sign taken down.
-Mark

jmoney

Post by jmoney »

pcernuch wrote:you wont catch me in south dallas with my family or without my sidearm.

god bless.
I am the same way, when I was very young I still remember my dad carrying his delta Elite 10mm when he worked every once in awhile down there. This was before chl laws were around.

Keith

Post by Keith »

I havent read all posts so here is some good info for ya. As you walk in main gate all the way to the right there is a member booth and thats were the 30.06 sign was last time I was there about 6 months ago.

I carry there also because of animals and the town. Just remember concealed is concealed. This is one of those times were u dont want to be printing at all. You def dont want to be in a Dallas jail. Even though there sign isnt correct the odds are your still going to be arrested if you were caught carrying. Good luck!
When the bullet leaves
You can't bring it back

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

The Annoyed Man wrote: The zoo is owned by the city, but is operated by the Dallas Zoological Society. Apparently, they also say that they are a school. All of the legalities are muddy, and you may ultimately beat the time; but you may not beat the ride. I would say, do what you think you must. What "must" means is up to you.
Looks they get to claim being public or private as convenient.

I notice that the gun outline shown is clearly a semi-automatic, so I take this to mean that revolvers are OK :)
Last edited by rp_photo on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

rp_photo

Post by rp_photo »

Keith B wrote: General concensus of those in the know is that this applies to school grounds or areas that the school has control over. Just because a group of school kids on a field trip comes into the zoo, a museum or McDonald's does not mean you have to pack up and leave the premise.
This is all about grabbing our rights under the guise of protecting children.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

lowracer

Post by lowracer »

Just FYI, I got an email response back from Mr Doug Dykman, the Zoo's Deputy Director for Operations and Facilities. He says the Dallas Zoo falls under 46.03(1) (any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted) and 46.035 (5) Amusement Park.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”