0 Days to Parking Lot!!!!!!!!!!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Will the parking lot law have a significant impact on how often you carry?

Yes - without a doubt
28%
Some impact - the law will help, but I don't drive to work everyday
4%
No - my employer is cool about guns (including those self employed)
16%
No - no guns at work but parking lot has not been off limits
15%
No - don't ask, don't tell - employer says no but my personal security trumps my job security
16%
No - don't work, just fish - (I'm retired suckas!!)
8%
No - too big of a chance of it being stolen from the car
1%
No - the law left me out in the cold - I still can't store it in my car at work
10%

Total votes: 194

papajohn1964
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 22 Days to Parking Lot - Poll

Post by papajohn1964 »

I work on a Federal Installation so I can't carry to or from work. However I go on post and draw one of their M9's with 30 rounds and can OC anywhere on base I need to go including the PX or restaurants.
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

GhostTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GhostTX »

chasfm11 wrote:
texanron wrote:I'm still wating on my employer to post a revision to the employee manual. Perhaps it wont come out until 9/1. I'm curious to see how they phrase it given the new law.
What happens if they don't? I really don't expect my employer to update their manual. Their overall policy hasn't changed (no guns) and the only thing that would change would be their option to search vehicles. They could still do that for items other than guns.
Bah, ours made the "no guns on parking lot" policy public.

I've informed my gun-friendly coworkers though, it has no meaning after 9/1. :thumbs2:
XD40 Service in Supertuck
"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

C-dub
Posts in topic: 11

Re: 25 Days to Parking Lot - Poll

Post by C-dub »

HD76 wrote:I voted "No - don't ask, don't tell - employer says no but my personal security trumps my job security"

It was the best fit. My work does not allow weapons on property, they quote 30.06 in the employee hand book. Our office is in a part of town where houses are right next to businesses. I just park on the street right now so I am not on company property.
After 9.1.11 they are not allowed to have this policy with regards to the parking lot by law, whether or not they cite 30.06 correctly in the employee handbook or not. It cannot apply to the parking lot. However, the DADT policy is always a good choice.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

terryg wrote:I am getting so excited - counting down the days. But as I was getting in my car this afternoon - it was soooooo hot!. I realized some of the jokes in the YOU KNOW IT'S HOT IN TEXAS WHEN??? thread will be true. That gun will be hot when at the end of the work day. For those who keep in your car regularly - what can you do to cool that puppy down?
I have noticed before that things in the center console, the area with a lid, don't get as hot as things that are left uncovered. I will put it in there and probably also wrap it in a small hand towel. That has helped in the past.

I am also still waiting for my company's new policy. I hear they are working on it. :totap:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 13

Post by terryg »

C-dub wrote:
terryg wrote:I am getting so excited - counting down the days. But as I was getting in my car this afternoon - it was soooooo hot!. I realized some of the jokes in the YOU KNOW IT'S HOT IN TEXAS WHEN??? thread will be true. That gun will be hot when at the end of the work day. For those who keep in your car regularly - what can you do to cool that puppy down?
I have noticed before that things in the center console, the area with a lid, don't get as hot as things that are left uncovered. I will put it in there and probably also wrap it in a small hand towel. That has helped in the past.
I don't have one of those - a center console that is. I have my nanovault ready - cable around the passenger seat bars. It will slide under the seat. I read someone else (Divided Attention - I think) say that the nanovault seems to keep it a smidge cooler - lets hope so.

I am also trying to figure out how I will discretely "arm up" when I leave campus for lunch with a group. Most of my close co-workers know I carry (many of them do as well) - so it won't be a big deal very often. (Not to mention the fact that I am poor and can't afford to eat out very often.) But I guess if someone is in the group that I am concerned about - I will just have to make sure I drive separately.

It sure would be a lot easier (and safer) if I could just carry at work ... :grumble :grumble :grumble
... this space intentionally left blank ...

Topic author
terryg
Posts in topic: 13

Re: 14 Days to Parking Lot - Poll

Post by terryg »

Two Weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
... this space intentionally left blank ...

texanron
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texanron »

C-dub wrote:I am also still waiting for my company's new policy. I hear they are working on it.
Same here. I half expect them to throw a 30.06 sign up at all the parking lot entrances. Not enforceable I know.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Wfahey
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Wfahey »

This law helped me a bunch. Currently you are not allowed to even have a weapon in your vehicle and they make you sign a form allowing them to search your vehicle anytime they want. I sent an e-mail to the HR Director letting her know of the changes effective Sept 1. She thanked me and said they are in the process of updating the policy and employee handbook to comply with the law. They also have the "gunbusters" signs on all the doors but I haven't said anything about that and won't.

After letting HR know about the new law I really expected Security to show up at my office and ask to search my truck. :grumble

Ameer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Ameer »

texanron wrote:Same here. I half expect them to throw a 30.06 sign up at all the parking lot entrances. Not enforceable I know.
Not enforceable against employees but everyone else doesn't have the protection of the new law.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

texanron
Posts in topic: 5

Post by texanron »

Ameer wrote:
texanron wrote:Same here. I half expect them to throw a 30.06 sign up at all the parking lot entrances. Not enforceable I know.
Not enforceable against employees but everyone else doesn't have the protection of the new law.
You're right. Legally visitors/customers with a CHL would be out of luck. Since few customers show up at our manufacturing facility and we really don't get many visitors either it would be silly for them to post a 30.06 sign.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

barres

Re: 9 Days to Parking Lot - Poll

Post by barres »

I don't know how it will affect me. My employer doesn't currently have a policy, but we are in the process of being bought out by another company based in Georgia, IIRC. I am hoping there will be little or no change in policies in this regard, but i can't predict the future (if I could, I wouldn't need a CHL, as I'd never end up in a place where I would need it! :biggrinjester: ). I also wonder how a Texas law will be viewed by/enforced against a company based in another state. Any ideas on that one, folks?
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Wfahey
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Wfahey »

New company policy just came out. They changed the wording to "unlicensed possession" and changed search requirements to corporate vehicles only so I am good to go! :thumbs2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Still waiting on my company's new policy. I'm having less and less faith that they will not mess it up.

SwimFan85

Post by SwimFan85 »

C-dub wrote:Still waiting on my company's new policy. I'm having less and less faith that they will not mess it up.
Do they search vehicles in the parking lot now?
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

sigma9

Post by sigma9 »

Wfahey wrote:New company policy just came out. They changed the wording to "unlicensed possession" and changed search requirements to corporate vehicles only so I am good to go! :thumbs2:
I believe even this wording is wrong. Correct me if I'm mistaken. I think the new law does not say CHL holders only it basically says anyone that is legally aloud to possess a firearm. Isn't that right?

So the wording "unlicensed possession" would be wrong.
CHL Class taken: Aug. 22nd
Online Application done and packet mailed: Sept. 29th
Packet recieved: Oct. 13th
Fingerprints complete: Oct. 17th
Background check complete/manufacturing pending: Oct. 28th
Mailed: Oct. 30th
Plastic in hand: Nov. 4th

36 Days Mailbox to mailbox!!!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”