Hmmmm, on the beach?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Hmmmm, on the beach?

Post by Rex B »

NAA Black Widow, in a bathing suit that sorta resembles cargo shorts (big pockets). if you also wear a shirt, a clip-on IWB may work.
If it gets wet: When you get back to your lodging, remove grips, cylinder, flush with hot tap water, then flush with WD40.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Jasonw560
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jasonw560 »

All the more reason to come down to South Padre Island.

I don't know how the "public" beaches are, as we park in a hotel parkng lot we frequent, and go down in front of the hotel.

Many, many times we've left our cooler, umbrellas, and beach chairs in the same spot all day, and no one's messed with it. Of course, our valuables we take with us when we leave for a while, to the pool, or to go eat.

Of course, there's parkig on the sad on the north public beach at SPI, and patrols all the time. If it's concealed, and someone keeps an eye on it, it might be safe.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Leroy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Leroy »

I worked on the beach in galveston for 25 years...umbrellas, chairs, sufrboards and lessons, body boards, jet ski's, banana ride, concession stands...to hear some of you speak you would think you are entering Beirut. Most other people on the beach are there to have a good time just like you. In my 25 consecutive summers I never saw one instance where you would need your gun on the beach (with the exception of Kappa weekend which is not defunct). Strapped up at the beach??? If I were to fall wrong on my surfboard..and the gun discharge...would I be liable?

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

If anything...put your gun in a backpack and hang it on the back of the chair you just rented from the nice beach service guy with the killer tan and the women all hanging around....he keeps an eye on your things. Then you can actually go in the water. Which has been clean and green to the beach for over a week. Chamber of Commerce water!

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

BTW..jason...ALL Texas beaches are "public"....whole other can of worms there.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Leroy wrote:BTW..jason...ALL Texas beaches are "public"....whole other can of worms there.
True. I was just differentiating between those who pay for and stay in hotels or houses and frequent those areas of the beach as opposed to those who pack up the pits, kids, and beer, and hang out just for the day.
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Leroy wrote:I worked on the beach in galveston for 25 years...umbrellas, chairs, sufrboards and lessons, body boards, jet ski's, banana ride, concession stands...to hear some of you speak you would think you are entering Beirut. Most other people on the beach are there to have a good time just like you. In my 25 consecutive summers I never saw one instance where you would need your gun on the beach (with the exception of Kappa weekend which is not defunct). Strapped up at the beach??? If I were to fall wrong on my surfboard..and the gun discharge...would I be liable?

With what would you shoot a shark chewing your leg off; got a shark bang stick handy? (some kayakers in some States carry those, but legality is kinda a questionable issue in Texas, 1) they aren't concealed 2) they could be considered an AOW I suppose since they don't look like a pistol nor a rifle nor a shotgun)

If a gun "goes off" from falling wrong, then you didn't buy the right gun
Glocks have been dropped from airplanes and helicpters ... just sayin' ;-)
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Leroy

Post by Leroy »

UHHH..the falling off the surfboard and discharging...IS A JOKE...just had to let the slower of the herd in on that one

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by seamusTX »

Maybe we need to take a reasonable look at risk analysis.

Several million people a year go to the beach in Galveston. Nearly all of them return home with nothing worse than sunburn or a jellyfish sting.

As far as I know, no one has ever been murdered or sexually assaulted at the beach in Galveston in day time.

There recently was one robbery that I can recall. It did not actually occur at the beach. Two people returning from the beach to their condo were robbed in a parking lot.

There's about one shark bite a year on the entire Texas Gulf Coast, and most of those cause no permanent injury.

About five to ten people a year drown at Galveston beaches. At least half of them did not know how to swim. Many are children whose parents or guardians "forgot" to watch them. (At least once a year a family comes to Galveston and goes home with one fewer kid. Hours later they are frantically calling the police.)

Many adults who drown are drunk.

Many more people nearly drown, requiring rescue and a trip to the hospital. Many fall on the rocks, fall off boats, fall off surfboards, or are run over by watercraft.

An even larger (unknown) number are injured or killed while driving from their homes to the beach.

All of these people would have been better off with a kiddie pool and lawn sprinkler in their back yard.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

We go down to Galveston a couple of times a year. We stay down in Pointe West, about 18 miles down from the seawall. Never felt a need to carry on the beach, but I strap it right on when we go out to eat. No reason to believe restaurants there are any safer than the ones here.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

alvins

Post by alvins »

Leroy wrote:I worked on the beach in galveston for 25 years...umbrellas, chairs, sufrboards and lessons, body boards, jet ski's, banana ride, concession stands...to hear some of you speak you would think you are entering Beirut. Most other people on the beach are there to have a good time just like you. In my 25 consecutive summers I never saw one instance where you would need your gun on the beach (with the exception of Kappa weekend which is not defunct). Strapped up at the beach??? If I were to fall wrong on my surfboard..and the gun discharge...would I be liable?

its not so much the beach but galveston in general is unsafe. that place is full of undersirable freeloaders.kappa weekend?even the locals hide in their houses or leave.
Last edited by alvins on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Sounds like a slam dunk for ya!
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by seamusTX »

Alvins,

Most of the people who live in Galveston are honest, hard-working people. I am one.

Millions of people come here every year and have a good time. They come back every year. Some of their families have been coming here for a century. Some of them buy houses here when they retire or get rich enough.

I have never been a victim of a violent crime here or had a reason to fear being a victim.

"Kappa" weekend died out years ago. When it was a phenomenon, I didn't hide anywhere. I was out on the Seawall, on foot, as usual.

- Jim

Express

Post by Express »

i wonder Fr0glube would help protect like they advertise.
4/22/10 CHL

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

XtremeDuty.45 wrote:I thought a speedo was an IWB holster? :eek6

ROFL

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”