Short review: Sig P238

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Munk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Short review: Sig P238

Post by Munk »

:iagree: As stated above, I too have both the P238 and Ultra CDP II. I carry the Kimber 90% of the time but the P238 definitely has it's role as a perfect pocket carry for me. I was also surprised to see the 8lb #'s for the P238 trigger. It is obviously very deceptive.
III%

alvins

Post by alvins »

both my cousins and his wifes p238 the slide pin falls out when you fire it and other jamming issues. ive heard nothing but bad about them personally.

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 25

Post by wgoforth »

alvins wrote:both my cousins and his wifes p238 the slide pin falls out when you fire it and other jamming issues. ive heard nothing but bad about them personally.
Jamming issues seems to have been corrected this past year with the change of the recoil spring from the round wire to the flat wire. Sig is sending those free to anyone who requests it. I put 200 rounds through and had one misfeed during break-in. Another issue that Sig has corrected that could cause jamming issues, is that a previous design of the magazines, was eating up the feed ramp, causing ammo to jam on the scarring. A third generation of magazine is out that has corrected this (which Sig replaces also when requested). I had googled various reviews of the gun, and any issue I had read about was prior to this year. Since then, it has received stellar reviews. Sounds like Sig will keep tweaking a gun till they get it right.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Excaliber »

Pawpaw wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
wgoforth wrote:Lol, keep in mind these are intended for pocket carry and not for matches, so I can understand why they want to give these a heavier trigger. Here are the specs from their website showing trigger pull (although it feels lighter than that to me) http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductD ... 8-sas.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I understand, and it makes sense.

You should still follow my previous advice unless you are ready to spend money.

A light SA trigger on a gun in a serious defensive caliber in an envelope only slightly larger and heavier than that pretty Sig you've got makes too much sense to walk away from once you've shot one.

Not to mention you can get highly reliable reasonably priced magazines for it in lots of different sizes and configurations almost anywhere all day long.

I know you want to stay happy with the little Sig, so just keep your distance from those seductive, homewrecking Ultra Carries. :mrgreen:
I have both an Ultra CDP II and a P238. Guess which one I carry? :evil2:

I like the P238 and I'm fine with its trigger. It is heavier than the 1911 trigger, but only enough to be safe for a pocket-able gun. It is still very crisp.

I just simply haven't found a need to pocket carry. Belt carry just isn't a problem for me. If I DID want to pocket carry, the P238 is what I would carry.
Not everyone is as strong willed as you and able to resist those seductive Ultra Carries, particularly when there's one in the safe right next to the P238 which is going to be carried on the belt anyway. :lol:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

Excaliber wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I have both an Ultra CDP II and a P238. Guess which one I carry? :evil2:

I like the P238 and I'm fine with its trigger. It is heavier than the 1911 trigger, but only enough to be safe for a pocket-able gun. It is still very crisp.

I just simply haven't found a need to pocket carry. Belt carry just isn't a problem for me. If I DID want to pocket carry, the P238 is what I would carry.
Not everyone is as strong willed as you and able to resist those seductive Ultra Carries, particularly when there's one in the safe right next to the P238 which is going to be carried on the belt anyway. :lol:
I guess I wasn't clear. I don't carry the P238. My Ultra CDP rides my belt every day! :coolgleamA:

I like the P238, but haven't found a good reason for me NOT to carry the Kimber! :lol:

Hello. My name is Pawpaw and I am a 1911 addict. I don't want to be "cured"! :rolll
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Pawpaw wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I have both an Ultra CDP II and a P238. Guess which one I carry? :evil2:

I guess I wasn't clear. I don't carry the P238. My Ultra CDP rides my belt every day! :coolgleamA:

I like the P238, but haven't found a good reason for me NOT to carry the Kimber! :lol:

Hello. My name is Pawpaw and I am a 1911 addict. I don't want to be "cured"! :rolll
Ah, that's much easier to understand.

Every time I get tempted to pick up one of those easy carrying little guns (like at every gun show) I stop and think: What if that's what I was carrying when I really needed to defend myself or my loved ones?

Thinking about the way one of those scenarios would unfold enables me to put it back down on the display table and continue walking on the path of light.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

Pawpaw wrote:I just simply haven't found a need to pocket carry. Belt carry just isn't a problem for me.
What about when you're not wearing a belt?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

68Charger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 68Charger »

wgoforth wrote:
alvins wrote:both my cousins and his wifes p238 the slide pin falls out when you fire it and other jamming issues. ive heard nothing but bad about them personally.
Jamming issues seems to have been corrected this past year with the change of the recoil spring from the round wire to the flat wire. Sig is sending those free to anyone who requests it. I put 200 rounds through and had one misfeed during break-in. Another issue that Sig has corrected that could cause jamming issues, is that a previous design of the magazines, was eating up the feed ramp, causing ammo to jam on the scarring. A third generation of magazine is out that has corrected this (which Sig replaces also when requested). I had googled various reviews of the gun, and any issue I had read about was prior to this year. Since then, it has received stellar reviews. Sounds like Sig will keep tweaking a gun till they get it right.
Do you know if Sig is still doing this with their recoil spring? If so, how do I obtain one? Call them up?

I never had an issue with jamming or anything of the sort. I had ONE stovepipe when I first got it. After that, no issues to report. I have about 700 rounds through it so far. I really carry this thing everyday now that I think about it. I don't know why I find it adequate enough because I'm not a big fan of the caliber (or 9mm for that matter). Perhaps because it's very small, still has 1911 features and it's a Sig. However if I did have a Kimber Ultra, I'd definitely carry that more than this ANY day. I'm just so much more comfortable with a 45.
We don't need no stinking badges!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Dave2 wrote:
Pawpaw wrote:I just simply haven't found a need to pocket carry. Belt carry just isn't a problem for me.
I don't carry at all while in bed or in the shower....... :smilelol5:
Excaliber

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Excaliber wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Neither do I... Ok, so I have come home exhausted once or twice and just flopped down on my bed without taking anything off or out of my pockets. But other than those rare occasions... neither do I.

I do, however, prefer to roam the house in my gym shorts, even instead of my favorite pair of jeans. They're just so much more comfortable*. Also, they lack belt loops.

*It's like I was telling my Mom... the weight of my gun has never been a problem (truthfully, I kinda like it...), but sometimes the belt tension required to keep said weight where I put it does get to me. I think that's why I like the gym shorts so much; you don't need to keep them tight to prevent them from falling down. Even if my pockets are empty and I don't have my gun on me, my jeans will fall down under their own weight if I don't tighten my belt.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Dave2 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Neither do I... Ok, so I have come home exhausted once or twice and just flopped down on my bed without taking anything off or out of my pockets. But other than those rare occasions... neither do I.

I do, however, prefer to roam the house in my gym shorts, even instead of my favorite pair of jeans. They're just so much more comfortable*. Also, they lack belt loops.

*It's like I was telling my Mom... the weight of my gun has never been a problem (truthfully, I kinda like it...), but sometimes the belt tension required to keep said weight where I put it does get to me. I think that's why I like the gym shorts so much; you don't need to keep them tight to prevent them from falling down. Even if my pockets are empty and I don't have my gun on me, my jeans will fall down under their own weight if I don't tighten my belt.
One viable alternative under the gym shorts around the house situation is a couple of strategically concealed guns that are only a couple steps away from and preferably out of sight of critical areas like the exterior doors. This takes a little thought, but makes it easy to retrieve one before answering the door or in the event of a prowler.

On body carry is clearly more accessible, a little quicker, and therefore better, but the other option is very viable if there aren't youngsters or other people you need to be concerned about in the house. In that case, on body is the best way to go with whatever rig works for you.

A belly band or smart carry are good options if you're OK with the relatively small discomfort each involves.
Excaliber

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 25

Post by wgoforth »

Shot another 100 rounds tonight. I about swallowed my teeth when I had 3 failures to fire and locked the slide up.... then I remembered this is the exact same brand of cheap Turkish made ammo that failed to fire multiple times in my Smith and Wesson Bodyguard a couple of weeks ago. Switched ammo and shot another 100 flawlessly. I may eat my words later (have had to do it before, so I try to make my words sweet :) ) but thusfar, I would say its a winner.

And yes, just call Sigs customer service about the spring and mag.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Excaliber wrote:One viable alternative under the gym shorts around the house situation is a couple of strategically concealed guns that are only a couple steps away from and preferably out of sight of critical areas like the exterior doors. This takes a little thought, but makes it easy to retrieve one before answering the door or in the event of a prowler.
Oh I do that, too, but I'd like a pocket carry-able BUG anyway. If I can find one I like, it might as well be light enough for my belt-less shorts to hold up.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

Dave2 wrote:
Excaliber wrote:One viable alternative under the gym shorts around the house situation is a couple of strategically concealed guns that are only a couple steps away from and preferably out of sight of critical areas like the exterior doors. This takes a little thought, but makes it easy to retrieve one before answering the door or in the event of a prowler.
Oh I do that, too, but I'd like a pocket carry-able BUG anyway. If I can find one I like, it might as well be light enough for my belt-less shorts to hold up.
The P238 is light enough at least to pocket carry in a pair of sweat pants. Just make sure they have a good, strong drawstring you can cinch down tight.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Dave2 wrote:
Nothing wrong with that. Good practice, in fact.
Excaliber

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”