Top Shot 3

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bigmoney
Posts in topic: 11

Re: Top Shot 3

Post by bigmoney »

I personally could care less if they're pro shooters, military or whatever. Average joes who aren't distinguished marksmen would be just fine with me, if not better. What I really enjoy is seeing different weapons in the hands of people who may not be familiar with them, and watching them try and adapt to that weapon system while doing things we may never be able to do.
I'd love to have the opportunity to shoot clays from a moving truck, or a glock while in a controled fall from 100 feet, etc. It's about seeing what people can do with little time to become "experts" with weapons we see in the hands of experts all the time on the internet reviews, tv shows, events, etc.
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

philip964
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philip964 »

It was fun seeing the big revolvers fired at stuff that explodes.

barres

Post by barres »

DVR'ed it and got to watch it last night. I enjoyed it. I often wish I could try some of the challenges they do on that show. My boys love to watch it with me, so that makes it even better.
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bulldog1911 »

I enjoy watching for the challenges. I think it would be cool if they did two separate competitions(or shows). A top shot Ameture, and a top shot military edition, or something of that nature. That way you get to watch a group that already most likely has experience with a wide range of firearms, and scenario's(the military edition). And then you get to watch the armature's( such as myself) who don't have much experiencce outside of handguns and shotguns.

Also, on the opener, I did like that they included a more physical challenge along with the accuracy. It's gonna be a lot tougher to make those shot's with your heart pumping, and out of breathe.

I too wish that the women could have made it further. Both challenges seemed, IMO, to favor the men.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

I'm sorry, but the lady that was eliminated was horrible. In fact, many of those shooters are horrible.
Forget to put a magazine into an AR? are you joking? These are hand-picked "best shooters"? Give me a break. It took 5-10 shots at a (I think it was) 75-100 yard target the size of a basketball? Really? Most people on this forum could probably do that in 1 or on a rare day 2.
NRA Member

Topic author
bigmoney

Post by bigmoney »

RSJ wrote:I'm sorry, but the lady that was eliminated was horrible. In fact, many of those shooters are horrible.
Forget to put a magazine into an AR? are you joking? These are hand-picked "best shooters"? Give me a break. It took 5-10 shots at a (I think it was) 75-100 yard target the size of a basketball? Really? Most people on this forum could probably do that in 1 or on a rare day 2.
:roll:
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Domineaux
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Domineaux »

Indeed a great show and hopefully less drama this season will make it even better.
I too wonder at the competitors but realize that the pressure and nervousness of being filmed probably makes them do much worse than normal.

But it's really about seeing the guns and cool stuff I would love to try!
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."
Houston Gunners: http://houstongunforum.com
Suggestions by Domineaux

koolaid
Posts in topic: 8

Post by koolaid »

Things that would make Top Shot more watchable:

- show the actual shooting instead of prerecorded slow-mo shots

- have voiceovers instead of the host standing behind the shooters yelling

- get the host to stop using the ridiculous fake accent.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

TXlaw1
Posts in topic: 6

Post by TXlaw1 »

Divided Attention wrote:I watch for the amazing photography! The stop motion etc is awesome! I can; however, do without the drama I have teens for that! :mrgreen:
:iagree: On both counts!! More shooting and less lip flapping. And it is great to see the wide variety of weapons used and the actual results with slow motion.
Jesus said, "And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36 NET) Also, Jesus said, "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own homestead, his possessions are undisturbed"(Luke 11:21 NAS)

koolaid
Posts in topic: 8

Post by koolaid »

TXlaw1 wrote:
Divided Attention wrote:I watch for the amazing photography! The stop motion etc is awesome! I can; however, do without the drama I have teens for that! :mrgreen:
:iagree: On both counts!! More shooting and less lip flapping. And it is great to see the wide variety of weapons used and the actual results with slow motion.
It doesn't annoy you that you very rarely get to see any of the actual shots? It would be like watching a football game where everytime the ball was passed it cut to a generic slow motion shot of an actor dramatically catching a ball before cutting back to the actual players just standing around after the play.

I'd also like to see more head to head matches like they had towards the end of last season with the plate breaking and the flipping targets. That was a lot more fun to watch then the aforementioned guys standing around while stock slow motion video is played.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

Topic author
bigmoney

Post by bigmoney »

koolaid wrote:
TXlaw1 wrote:
It doesn't annoy you that you very rarely get to see any of the actual shots? It would be like watching a football game where everytime the ball was passed it cut to a generic slow motion shot of an actor dramatically catching a ball before cutting back to the actual players just standing around after the play.

I'd also like to see more head to head matches like they had towards the end of last season with the plate breaking and the flipping targets. That was a lot more fun to watch then the aforementioned guys standing around while stock slow motion video is played.
A football you can see during the play, even from a tv screen. A bullet hole, not so much. I think it adds a little extra to the image of what a bullet is doing to the intended target, and actually lets the viewers see just how far off the shooter was or where the bullet actually went. To me, that helps other viewers relate more than, "oh he must have missed". In some cases it''s even a little cooler, such as during archery shots when you can visually see the bend in the arrow during flight just before it stricks the target.
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

A-R
Posts in topic: 3

Post by A-R »

texasmusic wrote:Anybody have an idea why they split the teams by winners/losers of the first competition? Seems like there would be a better way to do that.
RECIT wrote:There was a lot of drama from letting the winners of the first challenge pick teams like last season.
THIS

I frankly enjoyed the team-picking method this season (winners on this team; losers on that team). And they obviously were more careful this time in not only picking a balanced group of competitors (military, law enforcement, competition, "outdoorsman" etc), but also paring them up in the initial head-to-head competition to decide teams so you wouldn't have two cops on same squad etc.

This should all HOPEFULLY avoid the pathetic ending to last season's show when all the military guys conspired to set up the final 4 they "wanted", as well as the constant bickering between cliques within each team.

That "stuff" became very tiring and annoying very quickly last season and detracted from the show immensely.

That said, so far I haven't noticed any real "superstars" after one episode (perhaps the talent pool is wearing thin?), but that too could make for more interesting viewing and less prima dona "stuff"

81aggie

Post by 81aggie »

I watched the first season. Loved the shooting challenges they came up with, photography was great, and the exploding targets were fun. All the peripheral drama turned me off, though, and I haven't bothered to watch it since.

HankB

Post by HankB »

Top Shot is a half hour (minus commercials) shooting program shoehorned into an hour time slot.

It's best viewed on tape or DVR with one's finger on the "Fast Forward" button . . .
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

74novaman
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 74novaman »

koolaid wrote:
TXlaw1 wrote:

That has changed some from last season..more follow of shot from gun to target instead of generic "boom" shots, which I like.

If nothing else, the show helps normalize shooting sports for people. My wife thoroughly enjoys watching the show, partially because its more than just shooting, but a little tv drama thrown in.

Any show that puts responsible people competing with guns like the LaRue OBR, and AKs like they're doing next week, not to mention those evil .50 cals capable of shooting down a plane on tv every week and letting people see it as normal is a GREAT thing.
TANSTAAFL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”