Short review: Sig P238

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
wgoforth
Posts in topic: 25

Short review: Sig P238

Post by wgoforth »

I am not personally a fan of the 1911 platform. Actually, it is more the SAO that concerns me, although mentally I KNOW it's perfectly safe. However, my wife fondled a sig P238, subcompact 1911 and not only REALLY liked it, but was able to easily rack it and handle the controls. Took it home, examined it and was impressed. Took it to the range, and ~I~ had to have one. It has now become my daily carry.

I have had the KT P3AT, LCP, TCP and for past 6 mo the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 which I REALLY liked...until I shot this. With some differences, the others are fairly much clones of one another. One will lock back on last round, another won't, etc. The sig is a different animal, yet is in the easily pocketable mouse gun catagory.

It is basically the old Colt Mustang, with a few changes for Sigginess. Aluminum frame rather than polymer. There are many aftermarket grips for it, as well as 15 different variations of the model from the factory. We got her the 2-tone and me the SAS. Hers has plastic grips (which we are going to replace) and my SAS comes with attractive wood grips. My grips are half checkered (comfortable) and half stippled (not as comfortable...though very grippy).

Field stripping was EASY. No tools neccessary. Everything was solid and quality. There is no barrel lug on these.

Taking to the range was a surprise. Anticipating the recoil of my former .380's, I was amazed. There was probably 1/3 to 1/2 less perceived recoil. I will account that to the all metal frame. It was also a deeper decibal, more pleasant on the ears. THAT I would not have thought of. Follow up shots were easy and on target...more weight, less muzzle climb. I was expecting this to at least be a traditional gut gun. Fine at 15 feet, but not 15 yards. This thing is more accurate than I am for sure. At 15 yards, I was still hitting tight groups. I fed it various brands of ammo, and it easily digested everything I fed it. Even with intentional sloppy handling, I could not get it to have limp wristing problems.

These little things have the typical sig BIG price. Hers was $550 and mine $650. Prices don't seem to vary much from store to store. For the extra $100, mine has the wooden grips and custom shop melt job, dehorning. All of them come with Sig-Lites, tritium night sights. IF you decide you want the melt job later, you can send the slide back and they can do it after purchase for $100. Unfortunatly, they only come with one magazine, and spares are backordered. The mag capacity is 6, and there is a 7 round factory mag with extended rubber bottom available for same price....both backordered.

It does come with a kydex clip on belt holster. Fine for range, but TOO snug a fit to be able to quickly deploy. I am carrying OWB in a Galco Stinger holster. Leather, 15 degree forward cant.

NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Short review: Sig P238

Post by Excaliber »

Nice gun and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Avoid trying a Kimber Ultra Carry until your bank account can handle the next upgrade. :mrgreen:
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Excaliber wrote:Nice gun and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Avoid trying a Kimber Ultra Carry until your bank account can handle the next upgrade. :mrgreen:
Actually the Kimber Solo looks interesting....
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rex B
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Rex B »

Mine came with the plastic grips, which I don't like. Sig won't sell the wood grips separately.
Aftermarket wood grips are much more expensive than most other guns - why is that?

If you need mags, buy the Colt mags from CDNN. They are priced right, and they have +1 and 10-round options

I carried mine about 6 months, then went back to the LCP just because of size and weight (summertime).
I may have to dig the Sig back out and renew the relationship.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Rex B wrote:Mine came with the plastic grips, which I don't like. Sig won't sell the wood grips separately.
Aftermarket wood grips are much more expensive than most other guns - why is that?

If you need mags, buy the Colt mags from CDNN. They are priced right, and they have +1 and 10-round options

I carried mine about 6 months, then went back to the LCP just because of size and weight (summertime).
I may have to dig the Sig back out and renew the relationship.
Actually they do sell the wood grips separately. I called Sig Customer service and For $65 you could buy the Rosewood, blackwood, or HD grips. You might not have checked lately, but I am finding nice wood grips from $35-$65 online.

http://www.rhynotek.com/Sig-Sauer-P238-Grips-s/443.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also e-bay has plenty. Carbon Fiber grips for it look pretty kewl.

How does the 10 round mag fit? Is there a gap or a spacer of some sort?
NRA Life Member

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

I have not tried the 10-rnd mag. IIRC they are made by the same company that supplies the OE Colt mags, and those fit very well.

Yes, it's been a while since I shopped grips. Thanks for the links
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Excaliber »

wgoforth wrote:
Excaliber wrote:Nice gun and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Actually the Kimber Solo looks interesting....
It is, but it would put you back into a long, relatively heavy trigger pull that will feel much worse now that you've experienced the delights of the SAO side.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Pawpaw »

Make sure those P238s have the flat-wire recoil spring installed.

I went through heck with my P238 and it was all because of the recoil spring. The original (round wire) spring was too long, so it was stacking. That caused dinged cases & ejection failures. One phone call had Sig CS sending me a new round wire spring.

This one was better, but still not 100%. I still had a few ejection problems (but no dinged cases) and then somewhere around 200 rounds, that spring collapsed. Another call to CS and they sent me 2 of the new flat-wire springs.

Since installing the flat-wire spring, it has run like a swiss watch.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

I love my p238.

I bought a DMBullard OWB holster and a pocket holster for it.

I also bought grips from VZGrips. I bought the hyenia brown and on my black pistol they look bad a.

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Rugerboy50 wrote:I love my p238.

I also bought grips from VZGrips. I bought the hyenia brown and on my black pistol they look bad a.
Didn't see any on VZ Grips that specified P238... does the Colt Mustang fit exact or was there one I'm missing?
NRA Life Member

thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguy »

We have a couple of P238's for rent at The Arms Room and I must say that as pocket pistols go, this one is great. We beat the heck out of them on the range and have several hundred rounds fired through them every week and have had few problems. The safety feels positive and with a proper holster there is no reason they can not be carried safely. :fire
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Topic author
wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Brian Mobley wrote:We have a couple of P238's for rent at The Arms Room and I must say that as pocket pistols go, this one is great. We beat the heck out of them on the range and have several hundred rounds fired through them every week and have had few problems. The safety feels positive and with a proper holster there is no reason they can not be carried safely. :fire
GREAT endorsement..... Arms Room...ya'll do customizing don't you? Would be interested in replacing the plastic trigger with a possible skeletonized trigger.... is that do-able?
NRA Life Member

thatguy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguy »

wgoforth wrote:
Brian Mobley wrote:We have a couple of P238's for rent at The Arms Room and I must say that as pocket pistols go, this one is great. We beat the heck out of them on the range and have several hundred rounds fired through them every week and have had few problems. The safety feels positive and with a proper holster there is no reason they can not be carried safely. :fire
GREAT endorsement..... Arms Room...ya'll do customizing don't you? Would be interested in replacing the plastic trigger with a possible skeletonized trigger.... is that do-able?
Gunsmithing can probably help with that, no problem. 832-226-5252
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Several people making solid aluminum triggers for both Colt and P238.
I haven't seen a skeletonized version
-----------

Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

wgoforth wrote:
Rugerboy50 wrote:I love my p238.

Didn't see any on VZ Grips that specified P238... does the Colt Mustang fit exact or was there one I'm missing?
I think they are listed under "compact size" I have the Elite Tactical Carry model.

I purchased them from a vendor called Big State Distributors (I believe ) that frequents Houston area gun shows.

Call VZ i've talked to their customer service group and they are great folks.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”