Churches that meet at schools

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
VViper
Posts in topic: 3

Churches that meet at schools

Post by VViper »

If this question has already been answered, could someone please point me to the link, but a pastor just asked me this question, and I can't find a definitive answer here on the Forum: Is it legal for a CHL holder to carry at a church service held at rented facilities in a school? Would the church need to have written authorization from the school to permit lawful carry?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Churches that meet at schools

Post by Keith B »

VViper wrote:If this question has already been answered, could someone please point me to the link, but a pastor just asked me this question, and I can't find a definitive answer here on the Forum: Is it legal for a CHL holder to carry at a church service held at rented facilities in a school? Would the church need to have written authorization from the school to permit lawful carry?
Simple answer, no it is not legal. A school is always a school, even if you are leasing it for use as a church or any other function. You can carry on the grounds outside as long as a school function is not going on, but the buildings are off-limits period.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

barres
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barres »

:iagree: 100% correct. :iagree:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

Topic author
VViper

Post by VViper »

Thanks for the replies.

There is a qualifier at the end of 46.03 (1): “...unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution.”

If the church were to meet in a CHL-friendly part of the state, then could the school district authorize CHL carry during the church services?

speedsix
Posts in topic: 4

Post by speedsix »

...yes, they could, but wouldn't likely do so...and bringing it up at church as a possibility might get a notification from your church that you wouldn't want, too...still a lot of closed minds around...

JKTex

Post by JKTex »

speedsix wrote:...yes, they could, but wouldn't likely do so...and bringing it up at church as a possibility might get a notification from your church that you wouldn't want, too...still a lot of closed minds around...
Considering the question came from a Pastor of a church, I don't think it's a problem. ;-)

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...maybe no, maybe so...it's one of those conversations better not to have...then if the winds change, you won't be notified...a pastor works for elders and deacons who may be anti-gun...and control church policy more than the pastor does...

Topic author
VViper

Post by VViper »

In this particular church, that wouldn't be a problem. Very gun-friendly congregation, all the way around...
:txflag:

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...that's good...I've been a member where the pastor and one elder knew and approved, but the elder who controlled the church's finances DISapproved...so the rest of us kept it our little secret for about 6 years...politics as usual...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

speedsix wrote:...that's good...I've been a member where the pastor and one elder knew and approved, but the elder who controlled the church's finances DISapproved...so the rest of us kept it our little secret for about 6 years...politics as usual...
Surely you are not suggesting that "concealed is concealed" or "Loose Lips Sink Ships" or something like that? Say it ain't so.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...heard it from an old fat grey-haired guy hangin' round at the libarry...one dark night...

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

I realize some churches just starting out need to find cheap rental facialties. A church I attended rented a American Legion Post and every Sunday morning before services we had to clean up the empty beer cans. Hopefully thier finnances and attendance improves enough that they can move to a facility that is more sympathatic to carry. Stick with the church if you like it as they will not always be there. Eventualy we built our own building.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

VViper wrote:Thanks for the replies.

There is a qualifier at the end of 46.03 (1): “...unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution.”

If the church were to meet in a CHL-friendly part of the state, then could the school district authorize CHL carry during the church services?
Doesn't that "the institution" refer to the educational institution specified earlier? The church couldn't give written authorization.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

jordanmills wrote:
VViper wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Doesn't that "the institution" refer to the educational institution specified earlier? The church couldn't give written authorization.
He was refering to the school having to give permission. The only school I know that has ever given permission to carry in buildings is the Harrold ISD. However, ya never know unless you ask. I would let the senior pastor make the request though. And, be aware that asking something like that COULD from an anti-school district COULD lead to being ousted from the school and not being allowed to use it period.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”