FG42 - made in TX

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

sookandy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: FG42 - made in TX

Post by sookandy »

Those are sweet. I think I need one. Good thing they didn't get mass production really going on during the war.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Man, that's a lot of smoke!
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Cosmo 9
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cosmo 9 »

5K price tag :shock:
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

sookandy

Post by sookandy »

I'll take one of each. :lol:

74novaman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 74novaman »

its impractical, outdated, heavy, expensive, chambered in a hard to find caliber.....

I still kind of want one. :evil2: :evil2:
TANSTAAFL

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

74novaman wrote:its impractical, outdated, heavy, expensive, chambered in a hard to find caliber.....

I still kind of want one. :evil2: :evil2:
Yabut it's an FG42. :mrgreen:
Psalm 91:2

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.gotavapen.se/bilder/german_2 ... of_ww2.htm

Here is a link to information about some other "assault" type rifles of German manufacture from WW2. I'm curious about the layout of the FG.42, as opposed to say the StG.44. The side-inserting magazine and the position of the fire control group relative to action make them seem as if they were an afterthought. Obviously, they weren't, because you don't have a functioning semi-auto rifle without either of those things, but the assembly of its parts looks almost haphazard. If you look at the G.43 for instance (the top one in the picture below), it looks like a "proper" rifle with a more traditional layout. It actually weighs .2 Kg less than the FG.42 despite having lots of wood on it, and it fires the same cartridge. The G.43 came with a 10 round magazine versus the FG.42's 20 rounder, but that seems like a simple thing to overcome, and I wouldn't have been surprised if they had actually started manufacturing 20 rounders for the G.43 at some point. Furthermore, a bottom feeding magazine would keep the rifle trim and handy to carry and deploy, while it seems to me that a side feeding magazine would make the rifle clumsy to use, particularly to "wrong" handed shooters.

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

From what I understand, the FG42 served as a type of squad automatic weapon for the Fallschirmjaegers. The compact design made it easily deployable for airborne operations, especially in gliders where space was a premium. Plus the sideways magazine was placed where it was to make the center of gravity vertically more in line with the barrel, making recoil in full auto more manageable.
Psalm 91:2

WolfeJager
Posts in topic: 4

Post by WolfeJager »

I had no Idea this gun builder existed until today. I visited their website and wow they build alot of guns. I called and asked to see if they had any MKII kits left to put me on the next build out.

Cant wait for a reply. I have always wanted a Bren gun.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”